Quebec: No Non French Speaking Office Seekers Allowed

bitterlyclingin

Silver Member
Aug 4, 2011
["A man that can speak two languages is blessed. A nation that has to speak two languages is cursed." That and the Quebecois almost traditional biennial rush to secede from their union should give the US pause in its insane push for a society of almost universal inclusiveness.
'A wise man learns from the mistakes of others."]

"Anyone wanting to run for public office in a Quebec led by Pauline Marois will have to prove they can speak French first, the Parti Quebecois leader said as she announced her latest language-related campaign promise Tuesday.

The PQ leader said anglophones, allophones and aboriginal people will be forbidden from seeking municipal or provincial office unless they have an appropriate knowledge of French.

Marois said the idea is reasonable, given that French is the official language of Quebec.

"We will present this bill but it is not just for new Quebecers — it is for everyone," Marois said during a campaign stop on Tuesday in Montreal. "All Quebec citizens who want to be elected as a mayor or a councillor, as a member of the legislature, must have a knowledge of French."

Without that ability, a person could not be a candidate in elections, participate in the public financing of political parties or petition the legislature to address grievances.

'Common language here is French'
"In the case of anglophones, be it a native or a new arrival, listen, the common language here is French," Marois said. "Is there anyone who can imagine not knowing it?""

PQ would ban non-French speakers from running for office - Quebec Votes 2012 - CBC News

Language may play a part in setting the boundaries and limits of thought and cognition. How else can you explain the Germanic peoples mastery of Chemistry, Physics, and Math?
And the French: "There's no need for austerity. There's plenty of money out there. All we have to do is tax ( He really means Steal) it" Francoise Hollande, newly elected French President.

Je ne comprends pas. qu'y a-t-il?

<Quebec has no lack of idiots. They have the same faux-nationalist streak as Tea Party folks in the US. It just sound sexier when they whine.>

Last edited:
The French of Qubec do not want to lose their identity.

This battle to maintain their culture and language has been ongoing since 1760.

Personally, I don't blame them.

The French of Qubec do not want to lose their identity.

This battle to maintain their culture and language has been ongoing since 1760.

Personally, I don't blame them.

I understand the desire to preserve your culture, but telling the electorate that only certain people can run seems a bit heavy-handed, no? If the Quebecois want only French speakers in office, they can only vote for French speakers. Outside of the major cities I can't imagine folks not fluent in French could win.

Come to think of it, even in Montreal it's very hard to imagine a non-French speaker being elected to anything.

The incessant whining and stupid policies of the sovereigntists are as annoying as fuck. It's like the nagging housewife who keeps threatening to leave for 40 years.

Last edited:
Amazing. We here in the good ole USA are as fuked up as anyone, but I guess to make some of you feel better about how fuked up we are, you are gonna pick a topic that is none of our business.

Why is that? Who cares what the Canadians want to do. Do you all live in Canada? Next thing you will be crying about people in Mexico speaking English.

Forum List

Back