Quasimodo/Steroids: Political Pill

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Imagine that the iconic literary deformed but affable 'hunchback' Quasimodo (from Victor Hugo's timeless physique sentimentalism novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame) decides to write a treatise on the issues surrounding the use of dangerous and illegal performance-enhancing steroids by athletes in the modern era.

Such an albeit anachronistic 'account' would prove to be revealing of some interesting insights regarding humanity's linking of physique with peer pressure.

It seems that the key to all of this hoopla is to keep things unoffensive and uncontroversial!

====

"After looking over some of the reports of alleged illegal steroids use by renowned American athletes such as MLB titan Barry Bonds and listening to some of their media interviews regarding peer pressure and the lack of proper fitness guidance and coaching in modern professional sports, I find it interesting to note that there is a deep connection between 'physique enhancement' and the vanity of capitalism ambition.

An athlete may take steroids to make himself bigger or stronger or faster at the detriment of their own long-term health, so how does the pressure imposed by a success-obsessed audience reveal the flaws in capitalism and modern 'celebrity' culture?

I myself am deformed, and I think anabolic steroids causes long-term biochemical 'deformities' in the brains and bodies of the athletes who take them at their own risk. Perhaps the 'gambling' tone of professional sports makes 'synthetic enhancement' seem logistically wise, however I can personally vouch for the argument that deformity is NOT a triviality."

====

Anabolic Steroids (Wikipedia)

1077746-quasimodo1[1].jpg

Deformity Druids?

Here's a mock dialogue between Superman and Doomsday about the 'metaphysical deformity' created potentially by steroids use by athletes. We need better 'society storytelling' regarding the social pressures athletes face into using illegal and dangerous performance-enhancing steroids.

====

SUPERMAN: Steroids can be managed and will not lead to species deformity!
DOOMSDAY: If athletes feel pressure to synthetically alter their bodies, their minds are becoming warped.
SUPERMAN: A warped mind can be cared for but not a warped philosophy!
DOOMSDAY: Steroids use will alter how the species looks at the pure ambition behind competitive sports.
SUPERMAN: Steroids affects muscle growth and endurance but we'll find a way to save the 'soul.'
DOOMSDAY: As an athlete is transforming bodies with steroids, he/she thinks he/she is somehow 'smarter.'
SUPERMAN: Well, it's true that steroids-using athletes do not think they are being stupid/foolish.
DOOMSDAY: If the body is changing because of synthetics, the brain and mind will become confused.
SUPERMAN: That's what Darwin's theory of natural evolution would suggest.
DOOMSDAY: That's why I'm saying steroids-use by athletes will deform the human species.
SUPERMAN: Like I said, we can reach the mind and save the soul and avoid any 'metaphysical deformity.'
DOOMSDAY: The media neglects the cries of athletes who feel pressured into steroids use.
SUPERMAN: The best solution is education and prudent marketing.
DOOMSDAY: It would help if there were better solutions to the free-agency problem in professional sports.

====

doomsday.jpg

Forum List

Back