Purpose of government.

What is the purpose of government?

• Total voters
Yeah... Ultimately, I agree with you. But I'm trying to draw a line here. If you had to pick one, which makes more sense? It's occurred to me recently that people really do come at it from different angles. Some of us want government that protects us from harm, but otherwise leaves us to live life how we want. Others see government as a tool to build a virtuous and successful community. I'm trying to get a handle on how prevalent these two leanings are.

Do you have a preference?

Who am I to say what is right, or wrong, for other people? Why should anyone be able to define that for anyone? Given that I object to the entire concept of people defining right and wrong why on earth would I chose the purpose for doing it?

Would you characterize violating someone else's rights - by murdering them, for example - as 'wrong'?

That depends.

Is the person being murdered doing something that makes me think he deserves death? For example, if he is breaking into people's houses and shooting their dogs, while forcing them to watch, I would advocate murder, even if the person doing it was a government agent, AKA police officer.

Who am I to say what is right, or wrong, for other people? Why should anyone be able to define that for anyone? Given that I object to the entire concept of people defining right and wrong why on earth would I chose the purpose for doing it?

Would you characterize violating someone else's rights - by murdering them, for example - as 'wrong'?

That depends.

Is the person being murdered doing something that makes me think he deserves death? For example, if he is breaking into people's houses and shooting their dogs, while forcing them to watch, I would advocate murder, even if the person doing it was a government agent, AKA police officer.

No.

The point is, do you think violating someone's rights is 'wrong'? Because that's what I'm talking about when I say government should prevent wrongdoing.

In any case, as I've stated, I'm not trying to make a specific statement here about a comprehensive purpose of government, just outlining two opposing approaches. One that implies a proactive government dictating our behavior, and another that implies a responsive government that protects us from harm.

Government is to
Provide the common defense
Pave the roads
Regulate businesses so they don't price hike or form monopolies
Provide fire or police services on the local level to keep the peace...

etc

Oh, did I say public education for all children.

You fuckers want to go back to the 18th century it would seem.

WTF...the purpose of government is to enslave the people, while the power elite enrich and empower themselves.

That depends.

No.

The point is, do you think violating someone's rights is 'wrong'? Because that's what I'm talking about when I say government should prevent wrongdoing.

In any case, as I've stated, I'm not trying to make a specific statement here about a comprehensive purpose of government, just outlining two opposing approaches. One that implies a proactive government dictating our behavior, and another that implies a responsive government that protects us from harm.

It doesn't matter what I think, the government does not exist to impose my morality on anyone, nor does it exist so that others can impose their morality on me. Either way would be totalitarianism, and strip people of rights.

The purpose of the US government is to ratify treaties, deal with foreign nations and protect and defend the US with a Constitutional sanctioned military.

The far left wants to do way with the constitution and make the rules up as they go along, especially if it means that you become subjugated and enslaved to the government.
What a load of infantile CRAP. You want a political party that makes it up as the go? Look to you and your party. You want a government that will "ratify treaties, deal with foreign nations, and protect and defend the US with a Constitutional sanctioned military" I understand a "Constitutional sanctioned military" to consist of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and the Coast Guard.
In other words, you want to shut down and dismantle all of the following: Social Security, Medicare, the Federal Highway System, FDA, FAA, the National Park System, the EPA, the Post Office (contrary to Constitution), the Federal Court System, the FBI, the CIA, FEMA, NASA, CDC, all the departments in the government with the exception of The State Department (dealings with ratifying treaties and foreign nations) and the Department of Defense (protecting the US) and 0n, and on, and on, and on.
Not one of the organizations and departments I listed has anything to do with treaties, foreign nations, or protecting and defending the US. You might argue that the CIA is responsible for defending the US but the fact of the matter is that the CIA IS NOT a part of the military and therefore does not qualify for your list.
This is how stupid and ridiculous you are: You want to take a 21st Century nation back to its founding in the mid Eighteenth Century. (NOTE: Our Constitution was adopted in 1787).
EARTH TO KOSH! EARTH TO KOSH! IT IS 2013! IT IS NOT 1787. REPEAT: IT IS NOT 1787!!!

Forum List

Back