Public gaffes

Dixie

Jan 10, 2010
Nashville
Does everything deserve an apology? Helen Thomas is but the latest public figure with foot-in-mouth disease and has already apologized. Whatever. What I want to address here is the broader issue of public gaffes and apologies in general.

Just in recent years, we've seen Don Imus, Michael Richards, Joe Biden, Mel Gibson, the Reverends Wright and Anderson, the Dixie Chicks, Rand Paul...and more...make statements that have illicited outraged calls for apologies; most of these guys did end up apologizing. But, why? I'd fareal love to see more folks grow cajones and stand by what they say without backtracking due to public pressure and delivering hollow apologies. Does anybody really buy those apologies in the first place? Perhaps a dim witted few?

I'd also like to see a pair grown by those who claim personal injury by what anybody says. Lawd Maude. Perhaps a sheltered childhood prevented them from learning the simple truth: Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words don't mean a thing. Put another way? Grow the hell up!

The media thrives on and therefore cultivates this nonsense. The public seems to expect sensationalism in what passes today for news. I'm reminded of what I posted on my Facebook status today...Popularity is the solidifying of the lowest common denominator.

When people say or do something stupid, an apology is appropriate. I think it shows character. Personally, if someone apologizes, the issue is done and people should let it drop.

When people say or do something stupid, an apology is appropriate. I think it shows character. Personally, if someone apologizes, the issue is done and people should let it drop.

Imo, an apology when one meant what they said is nothing more than a lie.

Too Err is human, to forgive is not in my vocabulary....

All this gotcha gotcha stuff keeps folks who might actually do something useful out of the system. Can't we just agree that none of us walk on water, and let some things go?

This really doesn't help anything, this ever tightening noose of "you can't say this." It doesn't help anyone have an interesting discourse.

It is fun it is happening to Helen Thomas, who was a past master of this game. But why we give any attention at all to a senile old bat who writes for a microscopic part of the media these days is beyond me.

Apologies are always appropriate. However, there are usually two types of gaffes: one is a comment meant to be private that was made public and the other is when someone actually misspeaks.

I don't give Helen Thomas a free pass. Of all people, she's supposed to be keenly sensitive to current issues and is supposed to have a firm understanding on how words impact readers/listeners/viewers. When was it ever a good idea to comment that Jews should go back to the place where they were slaughtered? Why didn't she elaborate or clarify so that people wouldn't get the wrong understanding? This was more than just a faux pas. It was a clearly hateful statement, and she shouldn't get away with a simple apology. She should face some heat in the form of public criticism because that's the nature of her profession.

If you're going to swim with the sharks, you shouldn't smell like chum.

There are times when apologies are necessary and appropriate. Then there are times when people need to STFU because they said what they really meant in the first place.

There's a growing tide of antisemitism these days. And some of our highly visible people make no bones about it.

she had ever right to speak her mind...now she has ever right to suffer the consequences of her words...

cancellation of a one speaking engagement at a high school has happened....

i do find her comments..tactless and foolish at best.... and downright sinister at worst but she is an older person and they do tend to say shocking things at times...

isnt calling someone an anti semite rather odd when both people are semites?

Forum List

Back