PTSD -- The Arguments

Nope. I'm presenting my position and reasons for that perspective.

Nope. I'm presenting my position and reasons for that perspective.

epic_fail.jpg

Last edited:
Bikersailor should get the Congressional Medal of Honour because the military has driven him right around the fucking bend:eusa_angel:

Good for you, Robert. There is talk of awarding the Purple Heart to soldiers who have been mentally injured with PTSD.

Some soldiers may feel more likely to seek treatment for PTSD because their service is honored with less stigma attached.

None of them that I know would feel that way. I think it would make them less likely to seek help if you're going to call attention to it.

Bikersailor should get the Congressional Medal of Honour because the military has driven him right around the fucking bend:eusa_angel:

Can't. Never saved the life of a high ranking official. Pissed off a few, got three Navy Achievement Medals from a few, but never saved any lives in combat.

Although......I have been shot at in combat.

Sunnidiot? You can't really speak much about this, as you sound like a pussy assed college puke what was a REMF (Rear Echelon Mother Fucker).

Shit.....as I recall......you only served 1 term as well.

So, what exactly was your fucking point again? Oh yeah.......I remember.......you were trying to turn this into another "I hate gays, they are the scourge of the earth". Go give Fred Phelps a rim job douchebag.

As far as PTSD and Purple Hearts? Well......granted......PTSD affects quite a few people in different ways, but, there are causes other than combat that cause it as well. Does that mean that a person who was raped by a squadmate gets a Purple Heart? How about those that have nervous breakdowns, still in the war zone, but far away from any battle. Should they get one as well?

I personally think they should be recognized for their sacrifices in service connected things, but, unless you take an actual wound and bleed, you shouldn't get a Purple Heart.

But.......just like every good military person knows, they create new medals every day. Ever seen the one from Kuwait? If they can do that, then why can't they do one for PTSD?

And.......it would also help with the negative stigma attached to it, as well as be a good way to look out for your fellow brothers and sisters, as it would show up on their chest in their ribbons.

Might even be healing for the victims.

What do you think Gunny?

Good for you, Robert. There is talk of awarding the Purple Heart to soldiers who have been mentally injured with PTSD.

Some soldiers may feel more likely to seek treatment for PTSD because their service is honored with less stigma attached.

I wouldn't want a Purple Heart for PTSD. And I got news for you ... it's people like you and your condescending manner who attach the perceived shame to PTSD. We get treated like we're broken toys or some shit.

Treat us like we're human beings. We don't want your pity, nor to be put on posters or commercials for people to gawk at. We did your dirty work. Give us the medical treatment, stop staring at us with wide eyes filled with crocodile tears, and otherwise leave us alone.

It's true of almost all disabilities, problems, disorders, etc.. These people with nothing wrong make it a huge political ploy or publicity stunt, why not just help?

I wouldn't want a Purple Heart for PTSD. And I got news for you ... it's people like you and your condescending manner who attach the perceived shame to PTSD. We get treated like we're broken toys or some shit.

Treat us like we're human beings. We don't want your pity, nor to be put on posters or commercials for people to gawk at. We did your dirty work. Give us the medical treatment, stop staring at us with wide eyes filled with crocodile tears, and otherwise leave us alone.

It's true of almost all disabilities, problems, disorders, etc.. These people with nothing wrong make it a huge political ploy or publicity stunt, why not just help?

Indeed. Why not? At the very least, that the Pentagon considered discussing whether PTSD is an injury worthy of the Purple Heart is a positive development. It has brought awareness to the need for more veterans to have PTSD treatment.

It makes no difference whether a war injury is internal or external, veterans need to be honored for their service and offered support and healing of their war wounds.

Last edited:
John E. Fortunato is chief of the Recovery and Resilience Center at Fort Bliss, Texas, where he treats soldiers suffering from PTSD.

During a visit to Fort Bliss on Thursday, Defense Secretary Robert Gates praised the center, which uses intensive individual therapy and nontraditional ways such as acupuncture, meditation and yoga to treat PTSD.

At Red River Army Depot on Friday, Gates said it was an “interesting idea” to award the Purple Heart to troops suffering from PTSD, adding the issue is “clearly something that needs to be looked into.”

On Thursday, Fortunato said PTSD is a “physical disorder, at least in part,” because it damages the brain, making it no different from shrapnel wounds.
Purple Heart urged for veterans with PTSD | Stars and Stripes

Indeed. Why not? At the very least, that the Pentagon considered discussing whether PTSD is an injury worthy of the Purple Heart is a positive development. It has brought awareness to the need for more veterans to have PTSD treatment.

It makes no difference whether a war injury is internal or external, veterans need to be honored for their service and offered support and healing of their war wounds.

It's just a political ploy to get support. Help isn't money, it isn't recognition for being different, it's a job and medical support. Which given a decent job the medical support won't cost anyone else anything.

People like me? What condescending manner?

This essay sums up my position:

"The people in favor of excluding PTSD from a Purple Heart say you have to shed blood to get a Purple Heart. What about conditions like traumatic closed head brain injury? No bloodshed there. Sometimes the injury doesn’t even show on a CAT scan. Our diagnostics haven’t yet caught up with what we know and are on the verge of proving. Why deprive our soldiers of this deserved honor because of our ignorance? PTSD and major depression can also be fatal diseases if untreated. In other words, you can die from PTSD, through suicide, alcoholism or related illness. Not enough?

It’s hard for me not to have a kneejerk reaction to this decision. I’ve treated my share of PTSD cases, combat veterans and civilians. My patients were not faking their symptoms. If I had a doubt I referred them to a well-established expert who provided the testing and diagnostics needed for a conclusive diagnosis.

So the bad news is the Pentagon, a bastion of conservatism after all, decided against giving the Purple Heart to soldiers wounded with PTSD. The good news is they even considered it."

PTSD and the Purple Heart - World of Psychology

Yeah do-gooder people like you and your cendescending "awww, look at the poor little wounded duck" mentality. I know, let's give 'em another medal. I GOT medals.

YOU and people like YOU that want to put us out on the front page and give us a medal are THE cause of the shame many feel for having it. Because THAT isn't about helping me or anyone else. It's about you saying "Look at me ... Look what I'm doing for these poor fucked-up individuals ... ain't I great?"

I don't want your damned medal. I sure as Hell don't want a medal someone else has EARNED the right to wear and I have not. WHy don't you just create a new one ... pink with a broken dick in the center so you can brand us what you think we are?

There is No way a soldier should get a Purple Heart for PTSD

It should be reserved for physical injuries recieved during combat. Period

If we start giving them for PTSD.

What's next?

Purple Hearts for high blood pressure due to combat stress??
What about mental injury? To them it might be even worse if they had been injuried!
Having watched my brother go through PTSD, (not from the war) they need to do something about it. My friend Andy would be fine one minute and than out of no where would blow up. I can't count how many bar fights he got into after he got back. He has back since, than had a stay at Walter Reed when his lung colapsed over there and here shortly he will be going back again.
Maybe they can start by not sending them over there so many times!

Nope. Your way off the mark, Gunny.

"All Soldiers in combat suffer stress, but most recover quickly. Those whose symptoms persist may have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

PTSD is a condition that often follows a terrifying physical or emotional event, causing the person who survived the event to have persistent, frightening thoughts and memories, or flashbacks, of the ordeal. People with PTSD often feel chronically, emotionally numb.

Soldiers with PTSD may have three kinds of symptoms for weeks or months after the event is over and the individual is in a safe environment. These symptoms are re-experiencing the event over and over again; avoiding people, places or feelings that remind them of the event; and feeling keyed up or on-edge all the time. These symptoms may interfere with the ability to live their normal lives or do their jobs.

PTSD is treatable, especially if treatment begins early. Treatment options include medication and talking therapy. Most Soldiers diagnosed with PTSD are treated successfully and remain on active duty.

Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries (mTBI) may be commonly referred to as concussions or “getting your bell rung.” Unlike severe TBI in which there may be a penetrating head injury with an obvious wound, a mild TBI or concussion may have no physical signs. It may result from a hard blow or jolt to the head, or a blast exposure that causes the brain to be shaken within the skull. TBI may involve confusion, disorientation, or impaired consciousness, dysfunction of memory (amnesia), or loss of consciousness.

Most people with mild TBI recover fully, but recovery can take time. One purpose of the chain-teaching program is to equip Soldiers to recognize symptoms of these conditions in themselves or others so they can obtain treatment."

http://warhistorian.org/wordpress/?p=853

Last edited:

Forum List

Back