Prosecutors drop charges against boys that started Smoky Mtn fires

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...-fatal-gatlinburg-wildfire-dropped/442706001/
Prosecutors have dropped charges against two Anderson County teenagers they labeled as responsible for the state’s deadliest wildfire in a century, an attorney confirmed Friday.

Defense attorney Gregory P. Isaacs said in a statement that 4th Judicial District Attorney General Jimmy Dunn has filed an order dismissing aggravated arson charges against the boys, ages 17 and 15. Isaacs, who represents the younger boy, said he would provide details on the reason for the dismissal at a news conference Friday afternoon.

----
If you click on the link, notice how they start to blame park officials for it.
I guess i can understand that but my gosh.. They better charge those boys with SOMETHING

i will be damned....i have lurked topix in gtown since the fire.....even before the names of the boys were revealed.....locals said that nothing would be done...one of the boys is the son of someone with power....

the forest service may be found lacking in their reponse but they did not start the fire...these boys did playing with matches....and i thought they video part of it

While i guess LEGALLY i understand the those charges being dropped
But them blaming park officials? How were they supposed to know it would spread like that? What about the reason for it being, any damn way?
People are going to flip if they dont have a good news conference!

i will be damned....i have lurked topix in gtown since the fire.....even before the names of the boys were revealed.....locals said that nothing would be done...one of the boys is the son of someone with power....

the forest service may be found lacking in their reponse but they did not start the fire...these boys did playing with matches....and i thought they video part of it
Yes. The one with "power" has a dad that works at the sheriffs dept. It was on a go pro but i think it only caught them after the fire had already started

Without knowing exactly what these kids did that was toward the latter part of an epidemic of fires set off by extreme drought, many of which started as a result of careless campers or homeowners with that burning obsession they have, some of which went on for weeks, even months. I did a thread about it -- Appalachia is burning

Hell I had smoke all over the area even without a fire within 100 miles, there were so many. Had a house full of it at one point. You couldn't see the sun.

So anybody and everybody should have known starting any fire anywhere was risky.

i remember that thread pogo.....and i remember the drought....not only was shit dry in the woods but water was lacking ...we were hauling water...down side of spring feed water...and yet when things go dry most know ....even the kids not to fuck about...no burning was allowed...for a long time

So in other words, the prosecutors are saying that kids can start fires and not have to worry about any kind of legal ramification.

God bless you and the families of the 11 fatal victims always!!!

Holly

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...-fatal-gatlinburg-wildfire-dropped/442706001/
Prosecutors have dropped charges against two Anderson County teenagers they labeled as responsible for the state’s deadliest wildfire in a century, an attorney confirmed Friday.

Defense attorney Gregory P. Isaacs said in a statement that 4th Judicial District Attorney General Jimmy Dunn has filed an order dismissing aggravated arson charges against the boys, ages 17 and 15. Isaacs, who represents the younger boy, said he would provide details on the reason for the dismissal at a news conference Friday afternoon.

----
I guess i can understand that but my gosh.. They better charge those boys with SOMETHING
I guess those were White boys.

----
I guess those were White boys.
GTFO

So in other words, the prosecutors are saying that kids can start fires and not have to worry about any kind of legal ramification.

God bless you and the families of the 11 fatal victims always!!!

Holly
Im thinking they found a large part of the blame was on the park service. I am hoping they at LEAST charge them with something less than aggravated arson.
But what about manslaughter and destruction of property possibly in the billion dollar range?

as i read it....the boys were seen flicking matches and walking away from smoke.....but the fire that devastates gt won doesnt erupt till 5 days later....hard to pin it down to just the boys and then there are jurisdiction issues

local authorizes may not have the power to arrest and charge

one great thing about living in a nation forest you tend to know the rules....you fuck up in townships and you deal with local police...you fuck up on the parkway and you deal with the feds in asheville....

OMFG
Lawyer said they cant prove boys did the fire in gatlinburg. Basically blaming mother nature for it even though THEY initiated it
They also said they didnt have authority to charge them. It is federal land.
In 97', Don sundquist and NPS made an agreement to give federal park jurisdiction to the state. They signed it and sent it to SoS. They had to make a change or something and NPS and the gov office didnt get notified. Therefore, they didnt sign it which made the agreement ILLEGAL
My question now is, can the fed govt come in and charge them now?

i dont see why not...they have not been put on trail so there is no double jeopardy

you do know that was all in the article...have they had the news conference...?

What a shame, I wonder if this changes any of the insurance claims of the people that lost their homes and businesses. Will the insurance companies then sue the park staff because the government just openly admitted they were the ones at fault and not the ones that actually started the fires?

What a shame, I wonder if this changes any of the insurance claims of the people that lost their homes and businesses. Will the insurance companies then sue the park staff because the government just openly admitted they were the ones at fault and not the ones that actually started the fires?
There will be a big civil suit, i bet.
I just hope the fed govt comes in and gets their punk asses.

Forum List

Back