Project ORCA, a beached whale

mamooth

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
"Project ORCA" was the amazing Republican voter tracking web app that was supposed to guarantee the most epic GOP turnout ever. It crashed hard. The "successful businessman" was catastrophically awful at the business of running a campaign, while the "community organizer" put together a well-oiled machine. RedState and Breitbart are not pleased.

The Unmitigated Disaster Known As Project ORCA
---
Working primarily as a web developer, I had some serious questions. Things like "Has this been stress tested?", "Is there redundancy in place?" and "What steps have been taken to combat a coordinated DDOS attack or the like?", among others. These types of questions were brushed aside (truth be told, they never took one of my questions). They assured us that the system had been relentlessly tested and would be a tremendous success.

By 2PM, I had completely given up. I finally got ahold of someone at around 1PM and I never heard back. From what I understand, the entire system crashed at around 4PM. I'm not sure if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me. I decided to wait for my wife to get home from work to vote, which meant going very late (around 6:15PM). Here's the kicker, I never got a call to go out and vote. So, who the hell knows if that end of it was working either.

So, the end result was that 30,000+ of the most active and fired-up volunteers were wandering around confused and frustrated when they could have been doing anything else to help. Like driving people to the polls, phone-banking, walking door-to-door, etc. We lost by fairly small margins in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and Colorado. If this had worked could it have closed the gap? I sure hope not for my sanity's sake.
---

Exclusive - Inside Orca: How the Romney Campaign Suppressed Its Own Vote
---
While the Romney campaign waited for Orca to function as planned, the Obama campaign had placed signs outside every one of the city's thirty-three polling places, and was fully staffed with two volunteers outside each polling place, and a strike list volunteer inside, all day long from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. The best that the short-handed Tennessee volunteers could manage was 40% coverage of polling places; the local GOP, they said, had relied entirely on the campaign's centralized Orca system in Boston to turn out the local vote.

The truth is much worse. There was, in fact, massive suppression of the Republican vote -- by the Romney campaign, through the diversion of nearly 40,000 volunteers to a failing computer program.
---

Ironic that the supposedly data-driven manager couldn't manage shit, nor did he have the slightest idea how to collect and use data.

Well-oiled machine. That describes the Bam Admin allright.
Straight out of the Chicago play book.

lol another one who wants to blame someone else..for their idiocy and incompetence.
they didnt even beta test that shit..their programmers SUCKED..that simple

IT WAS MATH !! STOP REJECTING THE SCIENCES FOR FUCKS SAKE.

chicago owns...math?

Last edited:
chicago owns...math?

Yes.

In the final 10 days of the race, a split started to emerge in the two campaigns. The Obama team would shower you with a flurry of data—specific, measurable, and they’d show you the way they did the math. Any request for written proof was immediately filled. They knew their brief so well you could imagine Romney hiring them to work at Bain. The Romney team, by contrast, was much more gauzy, reluctant to share numbers, and relying on talking points rather than data. This could have been a difference in approach, but it suggested a lack of rigor in the Romney camp.

A war room had been set up in the Boston Garden to monitor ORCA’s results, but in the end Romney and Ryan had to watch CNN to find out how their campaign was doing. In the end, the numbers guy was deprived of his numbers in more ways than one.

The best that the short-handed Tennessee volunteers could manage was 40% coverage of polling places; the local GOP, they said, had relied entirely on the campaign's centralized Orca system in Boston to turn out the local vote.

Kind of weird for a party that touts local control for their standard bearer to rely on centralized control! :eusa_eh:

chicago owns...math?

Yes.

In the final 10 days of the race, a split started to emerge in the two campaigns. The Obama team would shower you with a flurry of data—specific, measurable, and they’d show you the way they did the math. Any request for written proof was immediately filled. They knew their brief so well you could imagine Romney hiring them to work at Bain. The Romney team, by contrast, was much more gauzy, reluctant to share numbers, and relying on talking points rather than data. This could have been a difference in approach, but it suggested a lack of rigor in the Romney camp.

A war room had been set up in the Boston Garden to monitor ORCA’s results, but in the end Romney and Ryan had to watch CNN to find out how their campaign was doing. In the end, the numbers guy was deprived of his numbers in more ways than one.

i stand corrected and am suitably humbled :D

Forum List

Back