Professors Are Afraid of Their Students?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Adam's Apple, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    These must be professors of the conservative ilk.:lol:

Academic Intimidation
    By Thomas Sowell, Townhall
    December 18, 2007

There is an article in the current issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education --the trade publication of the academic world--about professors being physically intimidated by their students.

"Most of us dread physical confrontation," the author says. "And so these aggressive, and even dangerous, students get passed along, learning that intimidation and implied threats will get them what they want in life."

This professor has been advised, at more than one college, not to let students know where he lives, not to give out his home phone number and to keep his home phone number from being listed.

for full article:
    www.townhall.com/Columnists/ThomasSowell/2007/12/18/academic_intimidation

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    First off, to make it seem as though violence is widespread in various higher educational facilities across the country is absurd. I've been in college for three years and I've never once heard of a professor being physically threatened by a student. Has it ever happened? I'm sure. But to pretend that it is a widespread trend is ridiculous.

Second, for all the shit that the student movement took in the 1960s, we tend to overlook its accomplishments. Many schools have granted students more of a say in their schools, including access to the university senate and the declassification of files and board of trustee minutes. Also, I know that in my school course evaluations (the forms we fill out for each class at the end of each semester to rate the prof and course) were an objective of the students in the 1960s. In addition, the movement helped to liberalize student life, from girls being allowed to dress their own way to allowing boys and girls to sleep in the same dorms, and other things of this nature.

And I would like to ask because it really confuses me: what should we be learning in college? All everyone does is bash leftist-type courses, but they never tell me what we should be learning. I would love to hear some interesting suggestions to pass along on the next course evaluation forms.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    As I am not a subscriber to CHE, I haven't read the original article on which Sowell based his topic. I would need to read the original article to better understand what Sowell was responding to. In my opinion, this was not one of his better efforts (and I am a fan of his writing). I do not think that professors are afraid of their students and take the precautions indicated in the article. At least on our campus, they don't.

As to what you are supposed to be learning: I think you need to answer that question yourself with self-introspection. Why did you choose to go to college? What is it that you want to learn there? Do you feel you are learning? Are you giving adequate time, consideration, and preparation to your studies? Are you being exposed to the pros and cons of every subject—not only through books but through different types of speakers who are brought to campus to speak? Do you feel that your professors/teaching assistants or whoever teaches your classes on a regular basis are helping you to learn? Do you feel that, as a consequence of the years you spend on campus, you will be adequately prepared to enter the “real” world following graduation? Why or why not to all of the above? Based on your own personal experience, add your own questions to the list and then go the pro/con evaluation route.

4. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The answer to most of your questions is yes. While professors can be arrogant and unresponsive to undergraduates because they are simply interested in the prestige of publication, the TAs usually pick up the slack and tie loose ends together.

I guess I just don't understand the whole liberal bias thing in college. Critics say that professors undermine America because of this so-called bias. I wish someone could give me an example to show me how my education has been compromised simply because my professors are realistic about the role America has played in the world.

5. Doug

Doug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    What would be an example of a liberal professor's realistic appraisal of the role America has played in the world?

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'll try to get to this later, I've got to run. You might want to try this 'advanced search' on Google: Open Source+america's fault+foreign policy

Domain: .edu

7. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    You answer your own question in a way. By attaching the value judgment "realistic" to the philosophies of your liberal Profs, one could conclude there was indeed an effect. If liberal profs are "realistic" are conservative ones "unrealistic?" That's the implication, and if that's how you view things then I think you open up at least the potential that liberal bias had an effect on you. If you put someone in a school full of conservative bias, they're likely to view the conservative viewpoint as the correct or realistic one.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Good practical example.

I had a chance to run my search. Open Source didn't work in this context, so I substituted 'lecture notes' and up popped this example of what is passing for a 'critique' which is short on analysis, but great on hyperbole and 'gotcha'. It's interesting, well written, and funny too. Considering though when written, and the audience, there certainly could have been more of the analysis.

It's part of this course, which a look see through the readings and you'll see it's basically aimed at taking down the Republicans, rather than a real discussion of The American Presidency for Political Science or International Relations students.

Now one could say, one class, one professor. Sure, except there has been years long drum beat of the university being part and parcel of this same sort of slant:

http://cornellsun.com/node/24737

When Ann Coulter appeared, she needed protection. The following is by David Horowitz, but note that Salon chose to print it, back in 2004:

http://archive.salon.com/news/col/horo/2001/05/21/coulter/index.html

The liberal skewed drumbeat on most major universities is pretty loud. In a way, they are much like a messageboard writ large. At any given one, there is a prevailing point of view or prism. Some come closer to balance than others, some are more or less moderated. Having spent more time than most in universities I venture to say most students come out fine. In many cases today I hear that the freshmen are often to the left of the professors, thanks to high school indoctination. ;) Of course the professors tend to draw them back, since the arguments are not only left, but more often than not incoherent. :eusa_drool:

A few years out of university, nearly all are thinking on their own.

Or are they? I know the above was true, at least 15 years ago. Today however, even many well educated parents are not reading the newspapers or discussing issues of the times with their children-that begins when the kids are 9 years old, not 23. When the values of the parents are not handed down, when high school teacher or university professors become the first 'intellectuals' to treat a person as if their opinion mattered, how much influence to they have?

I could go on, but this is a starting post.

9. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    'Zat all you got? Pitiful. Tell your lies in a more closed conversation.

10. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,281
    'Liberal' education is the same BS as the so called liberal MSM. While there are liberals in college - I hope there would be - there are just as many conservatives and just as many in the middle somewhere. Many private schools are actually conservative and that is where the monied and the economically powerful come from. The students I know pretty much reflect their parents values or stray little from their values. We have lots of teachers in our family as well and most are conservative. I find this constant conservative effort to label others liberal, because liberal is supposed to a bad thing, an abuse of reality and puzzling.