Problems With South Korea

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Annie, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    While the older people in SK understand what happened in the 40's and 50's, not to mention under the Japanese prior to that, the young do not. Like so many places, including the US, their education and media are NOT helping:

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2004/06/10/200406100010.asp

How did that war start? What were the seeds? Simple explanation:

http://www.angelfire.com/country/americanpride2/koreanwar.html

2. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sounds as though they want their cake and eat it too!

I was there in late '79 when Park was assasinated. I was due to rotate back in less than 30 days. My wife at the time was en route to spend my last 30 days in country with me. Her flight was turned around and my orders home appeared at risk, as there was a temporary halt to all movement while everyone caught their breath.

At the time, it was believed the assasination was perpetrated by the north and there was a real fear that war was imminent. Wasn't too much anti-American sentiment then.

However, as I explained in another thread, the feelings described in this articel were being fostered even then. How sad that they soon forget and the legacy is not passed down.

Bring our folks home. Let the Koreas do as they will. The cold war is over and if the South wants to embrace the lunatic from the north with all of the inherint problems and pverty - then so be it. But don't come crying to us to bail your sorry asses out when you've discovered how dumb your plan was.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I have to say that I agree with you. I don't see any reason for that many troops to be in harm's way from within. IF we needed to get in there, we could do so fast enough. Not to mention, IF we needed to, we probably wouldn't want to do it from the South.

4. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Strategically, we would want a foot hold in the south where we could base supplies and rear operations. Given the climate however, I just say let them carve their own destiny.

The original reason for our invlolvement was to fight the Russians and Chinese as surrogates for communism - or is it the other way around? The whole damn thing was politicized from the beginning and probably more of a mistake in foreign policy than Viet Nam. Before I get flammed, I support our decision in both cases and most certainly our people that fought these wars. I just question the overall wisdom of getting involved to begin with. In the case of Korea, Japan really created that nightmare with their occupation -we then exacerbated it when cutting deals with the Russians/Chinese at the end of WWII.

I just feel that once we bail someone out and they no longer want our help, then we should just get the hell out of their way and let the chips fall where they may.