Private Moon Landing Tomorrow

Here are some tests from 1978...

I'm sure that technology has managed to get even better.

and how much do those weigh????

I never said there weren't obstacles to overcome. Clearly, they would not be able to send up full-length rods. If they could get it down to half or one quarter that size, then the lift energy becomes even easier. As I said, this would be in addition to other cargo -- garbage -- designated for disposal in an ongoing schedule.

That is why the reusable tech that Musk is developing is pretty vital.

When humans return to the Moon, it might not be NASA sending them. While America's next Moon rocket is billions of dollars over budget and years behind schedule, a small Israeli company is poised to touchdown on the Moon tomorrow. Their robot named "Beresheet" is scheduled to land on Mare Serenitatis (the Sea of Serenity) on April 11th around 3 pm Eastern time. The event will be livestreamed by SpaceIL, the first private company to land on lunar soil. Robots now, humans next? Stay tuned.

Watch live here; SpaceIL

SpaceIL is a non-profit organization established in 2011 aiming to land the first Israeli spacecraft on the Moon. The organization was founded by three young engineers: Yariv Bash, Kfir Damari and Yonatan Winetraub who answered the international challenge presented by Google Lunar XPRIZE: to build, launch and land an unmanned spacecraft on the Moon. SpaceIL was the only Israeli representative. In October 2015, SpaceIL reached a dramatic project milestone by becoming the first team to announce a signed launch contract, that symbolizes an actual "ticket to the Moon". In January 2017, SpaceIL became one of the competition’s five finalists. The competition officially ended with no winners in March 31, 2018, after Google ended their sponsorship.

Regardless of the competition, SpaceIL is committed to continue and complete its mission, to land on the Moon and to the advancement of science and technology education in Israel.

SpaceIL is actively working to create an Israeli "Apollo Effect.” SpaceIL is committed to inspiring the next generation in Israel and around the world to choose to study science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The launch will take place on an American SpaceX rocketinfirst quarter of 2019, and the Moon landing will be at the end of a two-month journey in space, after the launch.
How long before the Muslim Brotherhood sues to have the NASA Moon craft be an all Muslim crew to make the Israelis feel at home when they get there?

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

When humans return to the Moon, it might not be NASA sending them. While America's next Moon rocket is billions of dollars over budget and years behind schedule, a small Israeli company is poised to touchdown on the Moon tomorrow. Their robot named "Beresheet" is scheduled to land on Mare Serenitatis (the Sea of Serenity) on April 11th around 3 pm Eastern time. The event will be livestreamed by SpaceIL, the first private company to land on lunar soil. Robots now, humans next? Stay tuned.

Watch live here; SpaceIL

SpaceIL is a non-profit organization established in 2011 aiming to land the first Israeli spacecraft on the Moon. The organization was founded by three young engineers: Yariv Bash, Kfir Damari and Yonatan Winetraub who answered the international challenge presented by Google Lunar XPRIZE: to build, launch and land an unmanned spacecraft on the Moon. SpaceIL was the only Israeli representative. In October 2015, SpaceIL reached a dramatic project milestone by becoming the first team to announce a signed launch contract, that symbolizes an actual "ticket to the Moon". In January 2017, SpaceIL became one of the competition’s five finalists. The competition officially ended with no winners in March 31, 2018, after Google ended their sponsorship.

Regardless of the competition, SpaceIL is committed to continue and complete its mission, to land on the Moon and to the advancement of science and technology education in Israel.

SpaceIL is actively working to create an Israeli "Apollo Effect.” SpaceIL is committed to inspiring the next generation in Israel and around the world to choose to study science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The launch will take place on an American SpaceX rocketinfirst quarter of 2019, and the Moon landing will be at the end of a two-month journey in space, after the launch.
Sounds good, but wondering why it will take them 2 months to get to the moon?

They didn't use the more direct orbital mechanics that the Apollo missions used, as they used smaller rockets with less thrust.

They increased their orbital velocity around earth in stages until the probe was captured by the moon's orbital gravity, and then they spent time adjusting this orbit to allow for a soft landing.

When you don't have people to feed on a craft, you can take more time and use less energy to get to a lunar orbit.

Beresheet - Wikipedia

From 24 February to 19 March, the main engine was used four times for orbit raising, putting its apogee close to the Moon's orbital distance.[25] The spacecraft performed maneuvers so as to be succussfully captured into an elliptical lunar orbit on 4 April 2019, and has adjusted its flight pattern in a circular orbit around the Moon. Once in the correct circular orbit, it will decelerate for a soft landing on the lunar surface, planned for 11 April 2019.[26]
Good job...thanx

Nice. I'd be more impressed if it was a manned landing.

I've been thinking about the moon for the past few years and I think it could be a key to solving a number of issues on Earth, starting with cleaning up our oceans and solving our issue with spent reactor rods.
The aliens that already have bases there wont allow that.

Which is why we never went back

I never said there weren't obstacles to overcome. Clearly, they would not be able to send up full-length rods. If they could get it down to half or one quarter that size, then the lift energy becomes even easier. As I said, this would be in addition to other cargo -- garbage -- designated for disposal in an ongoing schedule.

have no doubt I'm on your side and wonder why we dont already have a lunar program and if the waste can be used then we need to use it instead of storing it,,,

time will tell

I've been thinking about the moon for the past few years and I think it could be a key to solving a number of issues on Earth, starting with cleaning up our oceans and solving our issue with spent reactor rods.
Think again.

The aliens that already have bases there wont allow that.

Which is why we never went back
moon walk.jpg

have no doubt I'm on your side and wonder why we dont already have a lunar program and if the waste can be used then we need to use it instead of storing it,,,

time will tell

Better yet, we need to store it out of the Earth's environment while we are refining and processing it to fuel.

We need a lunar base, because I believe that we'll never have a viable Mars expedition until we can mine and process the materials necessary for the ship and other base materials. It is far to costly to lift refined materials out of the Earths massive gravity well, not to mention the cost to the environment of that much manufacturing. We don't have to worry about the environment of the moon as it has none.

Plus, a reusable launch system that is cheap enough to put on a schedule is a good way to start work on cleaning up that huge mess we have in the oceans of the world.

I have idea's about disposing of all that trash along with future trash generation through a robust space program.

Think again.

Proves nothing and is NOT a valid argument against My ideas.

time will tell

Better yet, we need to store it out of the Earth's environment while we are refining and processing it to fuel.

We need a lunar base, because I believe that we'll never have a viable Mars expedition until we can mine and process the materials necessary for the ship and other base materials. It is far to costly to lift refined materials out of the Earths massive gravity well, not to mention the cost to the environment of that much manufacturing. We don't have to worry about the environment of the moon as it has none.

Plus, a reusable launch system that is cheap enough to put on a schedule is a good way to start work on cleaning up that huge mess we have in the oceans of the world.

I have idea's about disposing of all that trash along with future trash generation through a robust space program.

A lot of things need to be done not only having a moon base. A moon base would be very important as long as it produced things useful and was self sufficient, but what is desperately needed also is some way to travel in the solar system that does not not rely on chemical rockets and gravity to get somewhere.

time will tell

A lot of things need to be done not only having a moon base. A moon base would be very important as long as it produced things useful and was self sufficient, but what is desperately needed also is some way to travel in the solar system that does not not rely on chemical rockets and gravity to get somewhere.

Agreed. However, we need to do the first baby steps.

Get a viable lunar base. That will require a temp. a base that is equipped to dig massive caverns deep enough to hold an atmosphere. Then a way to tunnel out and make manufacturing and energy caverns so that they can process their own raw materials.

A nuclear reactor or five in separate and contained chambers could provide unlimited and necessary energy to start a huge greenhouse cavern for food and air.

Forum List

Back