President seeks total nuclear disarmament

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Great quote from a great president....

It is my fervent goal and hope…that we will some day no longer have to rely on nuclear weapons to deter aggression and assure world peace. To that end the United States is now engaged in a serious and sustained effort to negotiate major reductions in levels of offensive nuclear weapons with the ultimate goal of eliminating these weapons from the face of the earth.”

One of the FEW things he has said that I agree with.
I think this is a GREAT idea. however, I want to be the last ones to do it.

It is my fervent goal and hope…that we will some day no longer have to rely on nuclear weapons to deter aggression and assure world peace. To that end the United States is now engaged in a serious and sustained effort to negotiate major reductions in levels of offensive nuclear weapons with the ultimate goal of eliminating these weapons from the face of the earth.”

There are many pipe dreams like that. Human nature is set.

Wishful thinking. Genies cannot be put back in the bottle. It's a sop to the hippy dippy side of his party, nothing more.

Nukes are more dangerous if only countries of ill will posses them, and that's what would happen if the larger more rational ones decide to get rid of theirs.

Wishful thinking. Genies cannot be put back in the bottle. It's a sop to the hippy dippy side of his party, nothing more.

Nukes are more dangerous if only countries of ill will posses them, and that's what would happen if the larger more rational ones decide to get rid of theirs.

There is no hippy dippy side of the party

Total nuclear disarmament is a worthy goal.

He was a great President. And his policies contributed greatly to the vast reduction in nuclear weapons we have had.

The Final Elimination of them, is a tricky problem.

If you actually get rid of them, you have ironically vastly increased the motive to develop them, as if you did so, you could actual threaten to use them, or actually use them.

For your enemies would not be able to respond in kind.

At least not in a timely fashion.

For Don Quixote.

Not. going. to. happen.

Obama just signed a treaty with Iran which will most likely elevate the regime to a nuclear power and now he preaches about nuclear disarmament. Either he is a fool or his real agenda is something like his biography "dreams of my father" and he wants to reduce the U.S. to a 3rd world nuclear power to level the playing field.

Not so. Cultures with humanitarian ideals have taught their children to keep the worst of our human nature in check. Without ideals, we are no better than animals. Have hope.

Not so. Cultures with humanitarian ideals have taught their children to keep the worst of our human nature in check.

That is effective only until a reason arises to uncheck it.

The President also said....

“I can’t believe that this world can go on beyond our generation and on down to succeeding generations with this kind of weapon on both sides poised at each other without someday some fool or some maniac or some accident triggering the kind of war that is the end of the line for all of us. And I just think of what a sigh of relief would go up from everyone on this earth if someday–and this is what I have–my hope, way in the back of my head–is that if we start down the road to reduction, maybe one day in doing that, somebody will say, ‘Why not all the way? Let’s get rid of all these things’.”

Empty rhetoric.
Far from it

A lofty goal from a great President
So let me see if I have this right...

Russia and China constantly cheated on arms control...

North Korea got nukes behind our backs, and Iran is undoubtedly trying to do the same...

So, yeah, let's give up OUR nukes, where we can GUARANTEE that any of our enemies wipe us off the map in a war...

Great plan, Sherlock!!!

Not so. Cultures with humanitarian ideals have taught their children to keep the worst of our human nature in check.

That is effective only until a reason arises to uncheck it.
I repeat, without ideals we are no better than animals. Human nature has some ingrained responses we can choose to override with our rational mind. It is not inevitable that we behave with our worst instincts. Survival means we fight back when attacked. Obama's message was to discourage "attack" rather than "think." To everyone.

As long as a nation can create weapons of mass destruction The United States of America can never disarm. Nukes are only one way to kill masses of folks. There is biological warfare and dirty bombs and many other ways to kill a lot of people at once. We need to build on our nuclear stockpiles as a deterrent. Especially after Obama gave Iran a green light to proceed with their nuclear desires.

Forum List

Back