Premature Estimation?

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h2><a href=http://atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/FK20Ak01.html>US battle plans begin to unravel</a></h2></center>

<blockquote>By Michael Schwartz

In the New York Times this week the first crack appeared in the armor of the "victory in Fallujah" facade maintained by the major US media since the battle began. Eric Schmitt and Robert Worth discuss a secret Marine Corps report that reveals the major bind the US has gotten itself into by sweeping through Fallujah and attempting to pacify it. This US strategy has created exactly the dilemma that many critics of the war had been predicting: in order to hold Fallujah the United States has to keep large numbers of troops there, and then the Americans will not have sufficient troops to handle the uprising elsewhere in the Sunni areas.</blockquote>

Indeed, while US forces have been occupied with Fallujah, the insurgents have simply packed up their toys and moved elsewhere. Mosul is now all but in the hands of the insurgents, and terrorists strike at will throughout Iraq.

And this is how it will go in Iraq. It'll be like that okd arcade game where you hammer a gopher only to have one pop up elswhere. For every brushfire insurgency the US tries to stamp out, more will erupt elsewhere.

Bullypulpit said:
Indeed, while US forces have been occupied with Fallujah, the insurgents have simply packed up their toys and moved elsewhere. Mosul is now all but in the hands of the insurgents, and terrorists strike at will throughout Iraq.

And this is how it will go in Iraq. It'll be like that okd arcade game where you hammer a gopher only to have one pop up elswhere. For every brushfire insurgency the US tries to stamp out, more will erupt elsewhere.

Hey, why not instead of whining, you get off your lazy butt and come up with a better way to eliminate terrorism.

It truly amazes me that the US military fails to recognize the tactical genius of those in the public media.... :rolleyes:

CSM said:
It truly amazes me that the US military fails to recognize the tactical genius of those in the public media.... :rolleyes:

Yeah - it amazes those in the public media, too.
:blah2:

If we had listened to the media, we wouldn't have attacked Afghanistanin Novemeber of 2001. Remember everyone saying that the winters were too hard and that we'd get stuck there just like the Soviets did?? :laugh:

Hey Bully ,
I guess you haven't heard that The New York Times barely qualifies as a training aid for housebreaking puppies . I stayed at a resort for a week and a half and had that crap delivered to my room each morning . As I would read through it while sitting on the porcelain throne each morning (IT would bring the worst out of me)I pictured the type of psuedo intellectual fools that actual take that rag as a paper of merit . Pathetic . Every article is an editorial with a blatant slant , it says so much about you that you would quote it . Are you going to pull out Star next ? Who the hell is Michael Schwartz , why should I believe or even listen to him , what qualifies him to write about anything besides the garbage on Broadway ?
I'm curious , every weekend here in the good old USA , there are many murders outside of bars across the country (mostly by people with Spanish surnames here in Texas ) should we give up on our own country and close all clubs?

Bullypulpit said:
<center><h2><a href=http://atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/FK20Ak01.html>US battle plans begin to unravel</a></h2></center>

In the New York Times this week the first crack appeared in the armor of the "victory in Fallujah" facade maintained by the major US media since the battle began. Eric Schmitt and Robert Worth discuss a secret Marine Corps report that reveals the major bind the US has gotten itself into by sweeping through Fallujah and attempting to pacify it. This US strategy has created exactly the dilemma that many critics of the war had been predicting: in order to hold Fallujah the United States has to keep large numbers of troops there, and then the Americans will not have sufficient troops to handle the uprising elsewhere in the Sunni areas.</blockquote>

I too felt that the talk of "breaking the back" of the insurgent effort in Iraq was baloney. We did not capture or kill their leadership and that in and of itself was a huge failure of the campaign. Of course, it was predestined to fail because we telegraphed our intentions and then once again played politics by waiting to get Iraqi forces involved.

The difference is that I see the cup as half full while you, with your usual Bush-bashing enthusiasm, see the cup as half empty.

There are approximately one thousand fewer insurgents. They were holed up in a defensive position which normally gives them a 3 to 1 advantage over attackers. Despite that, our guys handed them their asses while sustaining relatively light casualties. That will damage the recruiting effort of the insurgents while capturing Fallujah will give them one less haven.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment that when we stomp on them in one spot they will pop up in another. What you leave out of the equation is that every time they pop up again, they will be fewer in number. Eventually they will be ineffective.

The effort will require perseverance and patience - two traits which are exceedingly rare among liberals. You apparently still favor the Clintonian approach - do nothing, do nothing, do nothing, shoot two or three cruise missiles, congratulate yourself, go back to doing nothing.

Bullypulpit said:

Flattened Fallujah.

Next?

Forum List

Back