Pregnant Wife Can't Get Insurance

DuckDad

Rookie
Oct 4, 2012
My wife and I moved from Northern California to Oregon a few months ago.

When we lived in Northern California she got pregnant (2 years ago) and we didn't have health insurance.

Kaiser Permanente offered a plan for $300 a month with no maternity costs even though she was pregnant. It was a GREAT plan. She had a C-Section and the birth only cost us $600.

Now she is 13 weeks pregnant again (even though we haven't seen a doctor or taken a test, we just know).

The few insurance companies we've applied with said they won't approve her insurance until a negative pregnancy test and won't issue insurance if she's pregnant.

Does anyone know how we can get affordable insurance (less than $350 a month) and approved in Oregon? Or are we out of luck?

Apply for OHP. If you're at 185 percent of the federal poverty level, she is potentially eligible for medical. For a 3 person household, that's $2944 gross income per month.

Let's see, you have a computer and internet service so you must have an income. You bought insurance the last time she was pregnant and let it lapse. Bring her to the emergency room when she goes into labor and they will deliver the baby. You can't get blood from a stone so they will probably not try to recover the cost just like about 10 million illegal aliens in the same boat.

When we lived in Northern California she got pregnant (2 years ago) and we didn't have health insurance.

Kaiser Permanente offered a plan for $300 a month with no maternity costs even though she was pregnant. It was a GREAT plan. She had a C-Section and the birth only cost us $600.

Now she is 13 weeks pregnant again (even though we haven't seen a doctor or taken a test, we just know).

The few insurance companies we've applied with said they won't approve her insurance until a negative pregnancy test and won't issue insurance if she's pregnant.

Does anyone know how we can get affordable insurance (less than $350 a month) and approved in Oregon? Or are we out of luck?

Why do you not have the insurance you had last time?

Lost my job in Northern California and relocated for a new job in Oregon but that job doesn't provide benefits.

You got out. Well done.

Were you really that broke that you couldn't afford insurance or just rolling the dice? Either way, you should have kept it in your pants until you did get coverage.

Cost the insurance company a hell of a lot more than that.

Why did you let the previous insurance lapse? Did you learn nothing from the first experience? Goodness! Well, I'm reminded of something my father used to tell me: "A lack of proper planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an emergency on mine".

Probably the latter. On the bright side, humans have been having babies for tens of thousands of years without insurance. Good luck. Next time, keep your coverage in place.

Last edited:

Sure...Apply with the same insurance company that will cover your car for collision damage after you already got into a wreck...I'm sure they'll fix you right up.

You want to know something sort of funny?

In Oregon, for OHP, they count the unborn in the household.

Kind of funny, considering you can get an abortion up to birth here.

It is called 'personal responsibility' you idiot. If you cannot afford the insurance/medical bills for the pregnancy how in the heck will you be able to afford the care/welfare and up-bringing of the child? it is people like you "Takers" (those that take from the system) and give nothing back) who are ruining this country by your sense of entitlement - either from the government or the private market place. :eusa_boohoo:

I think he's looking for insurance he can pay for.

But he's not going to find it for a pregnant wife, most insurance requires women to be on for a while before they'll pay for pregnancy. Another way our system enourages and pushes for abortion.

Anyway, if your income is at 185 percent of the federal poverty level, for your household number (remember to include the unborn) then she is eligible for OPP through OHP.

When you buy automobile insurance, do you expect the company to cover preexisting dents?

When you buy automobile insurance, do you expect the company to cover preexisting dents?

If only we could wait until the house is actually on fire before we have to buy homeowner's insurance...that would be so much better!

As much as I support the ACA and am thrilled that those with pre-existing conditions can get insurance, it isn't meant that you wait until you need insurance and then buy it to use until you don't need it again. Honestly, you deserve to be out of luck.

I had insurance in Colorado and then when I moved to Ohio, I was denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition. I now have insurance through the high risk pool. The thing is I pay for the insurance every month and my kids are covered too. It's insurance, which means you carry it in case you need it. It's not a game where you wait until you get sick and then say "I need insurance now. Where do I get it?"

This is the kind of shit that pisses people off because people like you try to game the system and show no responsibility.

Last edited:

As much as I support the ACA and am thrilled that those with pre-existing conditions can get insurance, it isn't meant that you wait until you need insurance and then buy it to use until you don't need it again. Honestly, you deserve to be out of luck.

I had insurance in Colorado and then when I moved to Ohio, I was denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition. I now have insurance through the high risk pool. The thing is I pay for the insurance every month and my kids are covered too. It's insurance, which means you carry it in case you need it. It's not a game where you wait until you get sick and then say "I need insurance now. Where do I get it?"

This is the kind of shit that pisses people off because people like you try to game the system and show no responsibility.

Last edited:
Lost my job in Northern California and relocated for a new job in Oregon but that job doesn't provide benefits.

It's about priorities; what's important? If you're working you should have at least been able to afford a high deductible plan in case there are complications. My last boy had over $300,000 in medical bills when he was born because he was born ten weeks early and spent 47 days in NICU.

You are really in a bad situation because I know pregnancy really costs a lot. Is Kaiser's services not available in your area so that you can have their services again for pregnancy insurance. If not then you should really be looking for an insurance company to insure you or cut some of the expenses to save for your child's delivery.

By the way, here's a site that could help you. You can have an online quote for this one. I don't know the rate since I've just stumble at the site. Good luck and hope your wife will have a safe delivery.

Ignoring the fact that you got your wife pregnant when you knew you didn't have insurance, the thing you can do now if you cannot get insurance is to make sure your wife gets good nutrition without eating too much, and keep your fingers crossed. When the baby comes go to the ER. They cannot turn you away.

Women were having babies long before there were hospitals and doctors.

There are dozens of free clinics that provide care for pregnant women. This can't be rocket science, every illegal who slithers across the border knows what to do. They can't speak English, they've never been here before, but every pregnant woman looking to drop an anchor baby knows where to go.

Forum List

Back