Pre Obamacare healthcare

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
Took my wife to the emergency room, as it was a Sunday and all the doctors offices were closed. When we got to the emergency room I told the admitting nurse that we did not have insurance, and would be paying cash. I asked her how much the bill would be and her reply was "I can't tell you what it will be." I then told her that the bill must come in under five hundred because that is all I had, and If it goes beyond that I cannot pay you. Over the course of the next hour I tried to talk to anyone who would listen that if it was going to go over five hundred we needed to know about it, none of them would give me a breakdown of the bill. To rehydrate my wife, a one hour stay and antibiotics came to $1400.00, we seen the doctor for a total of ten minutes. We got the bill a week later.
This was the system before Obama, his solution may not be right but the status quo was financially destroying families.

My dad brought a close friend to the emergency room when he was having a heart attack. They battered him with a number of questions and made them both wait for quite some time. When they finally got around to looking at the poor man my father said, "Don't bother..he's dead."

Granted..that was many many years ago..but it still sticks in my mind.

If by being idle you drown and die, trying to swim can't really hurt you. Thats kinda how I view Obamacare.

The new health legislation has quite a few flaws, and it is not really the type of changes I want to see. However, it is a starting point. Something had to change. For me personally, at least I now have insurance. Before the legislation was passed, I was denied due to pre-existing conditions even though I actually had and paid for insurance for many years. But when I had to move out of state, they told me to suck it up and figure it out for myself, because I was a high risk and uninsurable. I'm surprised they didn't offer to shoot me in the head to put me out of my misery.

Forum List

Back