Postcards from the edge ...1990

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Not a great movie or even a good one. It's a whiny account based on a book by a spoiled celebrity brat blaming her mother for her addiction problems. Carrie Fisher was best known for her Star Wars character. Everything else was downhill after that. Her mother was legendary star Debbie Reynolds. Hollywood is good at keeping secrets from the public and they pretended that the movie was fiction. It's unclear if Carrie Fisher had a relationship with her mother after the movie but ironically they both died in the same year 2016.

Carrie Fisher accused Trump of being a cocaine addict.
Her mother died one day after she died.

Carrie Fisher thinks Donald Trump was on cocaine during debate

Carrie Fisher accuses Donald Trump of being on cocaine during the second presidential debate Actress Carrie Fisher tweeted that she thinks Donald

Carrie Fisher had cocaine and heroin in system when she died, …

Carrie Fisher had cocaine and heroin in system when she died, coroner finds Tests reveal actor’s system contained cocaine, plus trace amounts of heroin

Not a great movie or even a good one. It's a whiny account based on a book by a spoiled celebrity brat blaming her mother for her addiction problems. Carrie Fisher was best known for her Star Wars character. Everything else was downhill after that. Her mother was legendary star Debbie Reynolds. Hollywood is good at keeping secrets from the public and they pretended that the movie was fiction. It's unclear if Carrie Fisher had a relationship with her mother after the movie but ironically they both died in the same year 2016.
I thought it was Ok, certainly not one Mike Nichols best. It was funny but I didn't like the way he handled the drug addiction.

The really great Mike Nichols movies are The Graduate, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf, Silkwood, The Closer, The Birdcage, Working Girl, Chatch 22, and Biloxi Blues. Postcards was funny but only mildly entertaining. However, it accomplished it's goal, it made lots of money and got a pretty good response from the critics.

IMHO, Carrie Fisher's personal life was a disaster, affairs with many costars, busted marriages, alcohol, drugs, and she was Bipolar. As an actress she has played in a lot of great movies such as Stars Wars, When Harry Met Sally, but in most movies she was listed as also staring or in the cast. I never thought she was great actress.

When you get to the point in your career when it's a good idea to ridicule your own mother for a shot at the big time and director Mick Nichols gets to bend his credibility into a pretzel to pretend the lame movie is based on fiction, it's sleaze for a buck. Such is life in tinsel town.

When you get to the point in your career when it's a good idea to ridicule your own mother for a shot at the big time and director Mick Nichols gets to bend his credibility into a pretzel to pretend the lame movie is based on fiction, it's sleaze for a buck. Such is life in tinsel town.
When I watch a movie, I really don't pay much attention to the personal lives of the actors. I see it as immaterial. I think Dustin Hoffman is one of the most talented actors around. However, he is such a shit, very few people will work with. In Kramer vs Kramer, there was a very dramatic scene in which Meryl Streep and Hoffman were arguing. Hoffman thought the scene should be more realist so without warning Streep he slapped her as hard as could and she lost her balance and nearly fell. The director said it was the best scene in the movie. However, Hoffman and Streep haven't shared a scene since.

I don't like John Wayne or Clint Eastwood because of their politics but I like there movies. And if I liked Carrie Fisher on screen her personal life would make no difference to me.

Forum List

Back