population growth and government spending

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bradfromearth, Nov 20, 2012.

1. bradfromearth

bradfromearth Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for information on US population growth as it relates to government spending. A lot of my conservative friends seem to think that we should not increase taxes AND cut spending. They feel we should only cut spending. I am certain the nation has expanded, by way of birth and immigration, both legal and illegal (illegal is a seperate topic and not what I am looking to dig into here) but don't know how much. Does anyone have any good charts/tables on this?

My thought is that if the country has grown then the tax base is bigger and government spending should be greater as well.

I always feel like folks are off when they try to argue against a tax increase. They way I see it is simple. We have been spending on wars and it is time to pay the bill.

2. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,621
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  3. Freemason9

Freemason9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I would refer you to the Bureau of the Census--also, look at the economic census numbers.

4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,887
    Granny says dey better not cut her Medicare...
    :eusa_eh:
    ‘We Darn Well Better Cut Spending’
    December 10, 2012 – Erskine Bowles, who served as chief of staff to President Clinton and as the co-chairman of President Barack Obama’s National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, said “we darn well better cut spending, because spending is the biggest part of this problem.”
    See also:

Poll: 76% Want Across-the-Board Spending Cuts
    December 10, 2012 : More than three-fourths of Americans want across-the-board spending cuts to the federal budget and more than two-thirds oppose raising taxes on small businesses that earn more than $250,000 per year, according to a Politico/George Washington University/Battleground poll released on Monday.