Poll : The Bail Out

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Missourian, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Are you for or against the bail out bill?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2008.
  1. I'm for it.

5.0%
  2. I'm against is.

90.0%
  3. I haven't decided yet.

5.0%
  4. I have no opinion.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    If you like, state the reasoning behind your position.

(That should say "against it" not is...typo....just pretend it says "it" :) )

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,770
    I'm against it. I think something else could be done to alleviate the financial crisis. What that is, I don't know, but this is stupidity. Oh, and I believe the plan Boner coughed up yesterday is just as stupid.

3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,356
    I'm against it. I say we let the companies fail, and we go back to a time when credit wasn't rampant. We shouldn't be fixing a credit crisis by aiding and abetting more credit risk.

It's time we learned the hard way how to live fiscally responible lives. If that means scarce credit, then so be it.

Credit is not the be all end all of existence in this country.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    The last people we should let commit 3/4 of a trillion dollars of taxpayer money is a lame duck president with a 20% approval rating and a congress that is facing re-election so soon.

If anything is to be done, it should be done by McCain or Obama and the 111th congress next January.

When the sales man says "sign now or the deal collapses", it is time to walk away and consider options.

-Joe

5. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    On the surface this sounds better than the road we're going down, to me.

How to Build a Better Bailout

6. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,683
    I'm with the Republicans, Loan them the money and make them pay it back. No bailout.

7. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    With interest! Then bolster the Social Security fund with it!

8. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,134
    It's a scam. Just look at how Bush lied to us in 2003 about Iraq and the other day he gave the exact same speech. The Daily Show played each speech side by side and it was almost the exact same speech. Lie to us, scare us and tell us we have to give them what they want RIGHT AWAY!!!

Bush talking about Saddam 2003

America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof -- the smoking gun -- that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud. There is no easy or risk-free course of action. Some have argued we should wait -- and that's an option. In my view, it's the riskiest of all options, because the longer we wait, the stronger and bolder Saddam Hussein will become. We could wait and hope that Saddam does not give weapons to terrorists, or develop a nuclear weapon to blackmail the world. But I'm convinced that is a hope against all evidence. Some worry that a change of leadership in Iraq could create instability and make the situation worse. The situation could hardly get worse, for world security and for the people of Iraq. The lives of Iraqi citizens would improve dramatically if Saddam Hussein were no longer in power, just as the lives of Afghanistan's citizens improved after the Taliban.

Later this week, the United States Congress will vote on this matter. I have asked Congress to authorize the use of America's military, if it proves necessary, to enforce U.N. Security Council demands. Approving this resolution does not mean that military action is imminent or unavoidable.

Now Bush today talking about the $700 billion bailout:

WASHINGTON -- President Bush said Wednesday that lawmakers risk a cascade of wiped-out retirement savings, rising home foreclosures, lost jobs and closed businesses if they fail to act on a massive financial rescue plan. "Our entire economy is in danger," he said.

"Without immediate action by Congress, American could slip into a financial panic and a distressing scenario would unfold," Bush said in a 12-minute prime-time address delivered from the White House East Room that he hoped would help rescue his tough-sell bailout package. "Ultimately, our country could experience a long and painful recession."

9. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,134
    He lied then so who in their right mind would believe him today?

Of course Wallstreet might crash the economy on purpose to show us if we don't give them the $700 billion, so that's why we must take this country back. They should not have this much power!!!

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,770
    The plan they presented was for we, the people to fund an insurance company to pay off their debts when they fail. And to give banks a moratorium on paying taxes. The end result of their bill is the same. Us = screwed, Banks = sucking off of us.