Politics,Sport and Kapernik

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Sport and politics have always been interlinked. Sport does not exist in a vacuum and it is an ideal platform for getting your message across.

Here is Jesse Owens defeating the master race. Owens disproved and humiliated Hitlers sick beliefs. Apparently he became friends with the seig heiler on his left.
Jesse-Owens-wins-gold-in-Nazi-Germany-1936-small.jpg

In 1976 the Olympics were blighted by an African ban over the participation of sanction busting New Zealand.

In 1980 the US led a boycott of the Moscow Olympics in retaliation to Russias invasion of Afghanistan.

In 2000 Zimbabwe were banned from international cricket for human rights abuses.

And then we have principled men willing to stand up for their beliefs.the white guy is an Aussie,Peter Norman. He became a great friend of Smith and Carlos and actually advised them on their protest. They were bearers at his funeral years later.

1228339328943_46589F1F-C99E-4538-BB9C-ECBF54813E25_c3.jpg

Here is Robbie Fowler of Liverpool.He has just scored for them and used the moment to show support for the striking Liverpool dockers. His goal is long forgotten but his action will not be.
upload_2017-9-24_12-42-59.jpeg

Of course Liverpool are possibly the most politicised club in the UK having endured decades of struggle to get justice for their 96 dead supporters .

The question is can you have normal sport in an unjust society. In the 70s the South African team was ostracised from world cricket because of the evil apartheid regime.

Football teams refused to play in the national stadium of Chile. A stadium where Pinochets goons killed people who believed in democracy.

In 2013 Kevin Prince Boateng walked off the field of play after being abused by racist supporters. The rest of his team followed him.
Was Kevin-Prince Boateng Right to Leave the Field After Racist Abuse?

It didnt make a difference. In 2017 Sully Muntari did a similar thing. His team mates did not leave the field and he was criticised by his manager for his actions.
Pescara’s Sulley Muntari walks off after being booked for reporting racist abuse

Why do individuals feel the need to make a stand ? Generally because the governing body is not dealing with the issues.

Contrast the £10k fine meted out to Athletico Madrid for their fans racist chanting:
Atletico Madrid fined 10,000 euros after fans racially abused Manchester City players

And the £110k fine Malmo received for having a sub standard pitch.
UEFA fines Malmo $110,000 for “poor pitch” in Champions League, but racism still only worth $11,000

Of course governing bodies have a proud history of getting it wrong. Here is a pic of the English national team saluting Hitler in a game against the Germans in 1936. The players didnt want to do it but were ordered to by the FA ,and by extension, the government. England are on the left.
443852.jpg

Of course its not just the players that make waves. Here are Celtic fans showing their support for Palestine.

celtic-fans-palestine-flags_egrilgruha4f1f164t16kpqgr.jpg

Hong Kong fans get a chance to give the Chinese some truth.
hong_kong_soccer_china_wcup_asian_qualifying_xkc101_54074843.jpg

And here are Dortmund fans sending out a message.
CNr9lkRWEAEoIYS.jpg

And fans of Werder Bremen doing likewise.
CNr9nNmWsAANPZs.jpg

Mr Kapernicks protest , when seen in this light, is not unique. Becoming an athlete does not mean that you stop being a human being. He obviously feels strongly about this issue and deserves some respect for highlighting it.

Of course he could have taken an easier route.Kept his head down,picked up the cheque and said nothing.

Which is the American way ? Standing up for what you believe in or looking the other way like a coward ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-24_12-47-32.jpeg
    upload_2017-9-24_12-47-32.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 76
Just be sure that, when you stand up for what you believe in, you don't offend a Regressive.

Because they will either shut you down, shout you down, find a way to punish you or run to their "Safe Space".

Anything to deflect from the issue, change the subject, avoid honest conversation.

Kaepernick has not protested all season

Why is he still blamed?

CNr9lkRWEAEoIYS.jpg

Which is the American way ? Standing up for what you believe in or looking the other way like a coward ?

Note the striking difference in the pictures of the stadiums at game time ...

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:2239fa21e37c462789d47b81a5c5683e-4ZqSA2D8A7811c2c4e84b2de3fe-690_634x392.jpg

The American Way ... It is not courage if there is no consequence.
.​

Just be sure that, when you stand up for what you believe in, you don't offend a Regressive.

Because they will either shut you down, shout you down, find a way to punish you or run to their "Safe Space".

Anything to deflect from the issue, change the subject, avoid honest conversation.
You are making it partisan Mac. The examples I have chosen are non partisan. Human rights are things that transcend political parties.

CNr9lkRWEAEoIYS.jpg

Note the striking difference in the pictures of the stadiums at game time ...

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:2239fa21e37c462789d47b81a5c5683e-4ZqSA2D8A7811c2c4e84b2de3fe-690_634x392.jpg

The American Way ... It is not courage if there is no consequence.
.​
I dont understand the point you are making.

You are making it partisan Mac. The examples I have chosen are non partisan. Human rights are things that transcend political parties.
Both ends of the spectrum tell me that their pet issue transcends political parties.

Everything is now politicized, including human rights.

Both ends of the spectrum tell me that their pet issue transcends political parties.

As an adult you should be able to see through that and make up your own mind. Was the civil rights movement wrong ? I cant see it as anything other than totally appropriate.

As an adult you should be able to see through that and make up your own mind. Was the civil rights movement wrong ? I cant see it as anything other than totally appropriate.
I do see through it. And that was my point.

Offending people is part of the deal. Why else take a public stand if not to challenge people's thinking?

Offending people is part of the deal. Why else take a public stand if not to challenge people's thinking?
You would think that would be the case. But those on the receiving end need to be willing to listen for it to matter.

When they refuse to listen, when they'd rather punish or hide, it's all moot.

ActuallyColin Kaepernick is just protesting because he was fired for being incompetent, but he is attempting to use race as an excuse?

It looks like that has already been done in this instance. Why are the stadiums empty still ?

Repercussions of what happens when owners/managers/players get the idea their opinion has more market value than the customer is willing to part with.

The most extreme political movement in American history was the Revolution.

bingo. amazing isn't it? happens all the time with mac. funny dat.

Forum List

Back