Please insure your 2nd amendment rights!

My guns are insured by Allstate :D

Some say the NRA sells out gun owners.
They aren't as absolutist as I would have them be, but they are the best game in town.

My guns are insured by Allstate :D

Some say the NRA sells out gun owners.
They aren't as absolutist as I would have them be, but they are the best game in town.

We know that you are not an absolute absolutist, so let’s not debate that again. Believe it or not, I have read some editions of the magazine that the RNA provides. I like the stories about people who defended themselves from intruders. It would be interesting to see them also provide stories about fools who accidentally shoot friends, relatives, and innocent strangers – like that would ever happen.

We know that you are not an absolute absolutist, so let’s not debate that again. Believe it or not, I have read some editions of the magazine that the RNA provides. I like the stories about people who defended themselves from intruders. It would be interesting to see them also provide stories about fools who accidentally shoot friends, relatives, and innocent strangers – like that would ever happen.

RNA?

GUNS CAUSE VIOLENCE LIKE FLY'S CAUSE TRASH!...Sorry about the double post., It was an accident.

no problemo dude!

I'm always a fan of the gun threads anyway.

Not many of those to tell less than a 1000 accidental shootings occur a year, compared to 50000 accidental deaths in car accidents. I suggest we ban personal car ownership to "protect" the people.

Not many of those to tell less than a 1000 accidental shootings occur a year, compared to 50000 accidental deaths in car accidents. I suggest we ban personal car ownership to "protect" the people.

Even with statistical research that works against your position, guns ownership might be justified. Yet, unless there are real statistical facts that can be supported by research, there is little progress in debates. I question your statistics. Do you have a link that supports such a claim?

For example, I have this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9715182&dopt=AbstractPlus

CONCLUSIONS: Guns kept in homes are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal accidental shooting, criminal assault, or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.

Here is more information:

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNSTAT.html

for every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings

Here is information from a website that admittedly has an agenda but also has information from research studies and references.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/issues/?page=home

Simply put: guns kept in the home for self-protection are more often used to kill somebody you know than to kill in self-defense.

I’m sorry. I misread your post. Okay. Didn’t you tell me that car ownership is a privilege? Therefore, the comparison is faulty. We have restrictions for idiot drivers. How about make rules to limit gun ownership for idiotic shooters. If someone accidentally shoots an innocent person each week for 5 months, should he continue to be allowed to own a gun?

I’m sorry. I misread your post. Okay. Didn’t you tell me that car ownership is a privilege? Therefore, the comparison is faulty. We have restrictions for idiot drivers. How about make rules to limit gun ownership for idiotic shooters. If someone accidentally shoots an innocent person each week for 5 months, should he continue to be allowed to own a gun?

In this hyupothetical, to allow the person to continue to own a gun. 1) Presumabley if he shoots an innocent person, he's going to jail. 2)If he ever gets out and wants to own a gun again, he would fail a criminal background check.

I don't know if you're trying to play out what you think could happen or what, the point such a scenario would be easily dealt with and prevented under our current laws.

Come up with a better hypothetical to make your point.

In this hyupothetical, to allow the person to continue to own a gun. 1) Presumabley if he shoots an innocent person, he's going to jail. 2)If he ever gets out and wants to own a gun again, he would fail a criminal background check.

I don't know if you're trying to play out what you think could happen or what, the point such a scenario would be easily dealt with and prevented under our current laws.

Come up with a better hypothetical to make your point.

Please, people. Carefully read my posts. Then think. Then reply. If you run over someone deliberately with a car you go to jail too. I asked what the consequences should be if someone accidentally shoots an innocent person. Didn’t Dick Cheney have an accident with a gun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney_hunting_incident

Why isn’t he in jail? Is it illegal to have an accident with a gun? If so, I think that there would be many people in prison. I understand that driving is a privilege and that gun ownership is a right. I think that each should have limits.

Matty - obviously the chance that you'll be killed in your own home by your own gun approaches 0 if you don't keep guns in your home. I can't believe someone needed an R01 to tell me that :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised that a supporter of the fascist Rudy Giuliani thinks that saving lives is more important than the Bill of Rights. After we repeal the Second Amendment "for the kids!", we can take care of those pesky Fourth and Fifth Amendments (I have some really cool ideas on how to go about this, let me know your you're interested - you can email Rudolph and see if he wants to add them to his platform).

And just because I think it's funny (WARNING: LOTS OF BARREL SHROUDS, BAYONET LUGS AND "CONSPICUOUSLY-PROTRUDING" PISTOL GRIPS!!!!): http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/

Please, people. Carefully read my posts. Then think. Then reply. If you run over someone deliberately with a car you go to jail too. I asked what the consequences should be if someone accidentally shoots an innocent person. Didn’t Dick Cheney have an accident with a gun?

Why isn’t he in jail? Is it illegal to have an accident with a gun? If so, I think that there would be many people in prison. I understand that driving is a privilege and that gun ownership is a right. I think that each should have limits.

I did carefully read it. You came up if with this asanine 'what if' where a person somehow accidentally shoots an innocent person each week for 5 months.

Cheney's legal situation I don't know, but I would imagine for their to be any legal ramifications his friend would have had to press charges. The friend was also not severely injured, to my knowledge. The only other possiblity I can think of is that the state would have decided it wanted to press charges against him, which I haven't heard yet either. Hypotheticals like this are handled on a case by case basis. Cheney's situation is somewhat different from a homeowner say accidentally shooting a visitor who he thinks is robbing him.

You say you want limits, but I'm not sure what you want above and beyond what is already in place. Accidental shootings are handled on a case by case basis. some cases would warrant a person loosing their right to own a firearm, some wouldn't. In Cheney's situtation I don't see how his situation should preclude from owning or using firearms again. It was an accident. You wanna draw analogies to cars, fine. If you rear end someone and give them whiplash, should you go to jail or be banned from driving ever again?

It was an accident. You wanna draw analogies to cars, fine. If you rear end someone and give them whiplash, should you go to jail or be banned from driving ever again?

No. I would make it illegal for him to drive after about 4 or 5 accidents. It amazes me that people who have been arrested 7 or 8 times for drunk driving still manage to drive. By then, I would think that such people should be locked up for a few decades.

No. I would make it illegal for him to drive after about 4 or 5 accidents. It amazes me that people who have been arrested 7 or 8 times for drunk driving still manage to drive. By then, I would think that such people should be locked up for a few decades.

Not to get off point, but that isn't correct. In most states after your third DUI you lose your license for 10 years. Fourth DUI is lifetime revocation in most states with mandatory jailtime. Please don't make stuff up.

That is beside the point however. Since we're dealing with hypotheticals and are trying to be analgous to what Cheney did one would need to assume the driver isn't drunk.

So again under pretext that Cheney should be in jail for an accident, why should you not be put in jail for rear ending a person and causing minor injury?

Perhaps you need to carefully read YOUR posts.

If you accidentally run over someone, you don't go to jail, and you don't lose your license.

If you accidentally shoot someone, you do not lose your right to own a gun.

If you deliberately run over someone, you go to jail and lose your license. When you get out, you can get your license back.

If you deliberately shoot someone, you got jail and IF you ever get out, you NEVER get your right to posess a firearm back.

Forum List

Back