Plastic Surgery

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Would you support laws limiting the application of plastic surgery? At what point does plastic surgery become deliberate disfigurement, and should doctors be held accountable for that? How, if at all, does the Hippocratic Oath apply?

We compare global attitudes about cosmetic*surgery | RocketNews24

"There are those that get a nip here and a tuck there and generally live their lives like normal, while some take cosmetic surgery to its inevitable limits, fashioning themselves to look like horrifying real-life Barbies or creepy lion people. Some cases of cosmetic surgery even backfire, horribly disfiguring people for life. So, while the “Hey, it’s a free country” crowd might not approve, many countries around the world are introducing laws restricting cosmetic surgery for the greater public health good."

Let it be...
I love the celebtity web sites that show all the stars who now look so fucked up after surgery...
I think Bruce Jenner will make that list now after his recent surgery.

I think people should be able to make their own choices for their own bodies.

I also think a doctor can refuse on moral grounds if he/she so chooses.

I remember watching a show..I think it was "My Strange Addiction" and the guy was addicted to plastic surgery. He went to many different doctors who turned him away for the simple reason that he was trying to attain perfection..of which he will never acheive. He finally found a doctor. But its his choice to do that to his body, like it was the doctors choice to refuse him.

Let it be...
I love the celebtity web sites that show all the stars who now look so fucked up after surgery...

Should the doctor who did that to him be held accountable in some way?

I remember watching a show..I think it was "My Strange Addiction" and the guy was addicted to plastic surgery. He went to many different doctors who turned him away for the simple reason that he was trying to attain perfection..of which he will never acheive. He finally found a doctor. But its his choice to do that to his body, like it was the doctors choice to refuse him.

But if a doctor does something he knows will harm you...

Would you support laws limiting the application of plastic surgery? At what point does plastic surgery become deliberate disfigurement, and should doctors be held accountable for that? How, if at all, does the Hippocratic Oath apply?

We compare global attitudes about cosmetic*surgery | RocketNews24

"There are those that get a nip here and a tuck there and generally live their lives like normal, while some take cosmetic surgery to its inevitable limits, fashioning themselves to look like horrifying real-life Barbies or creepy lion people. Some cases of cosmetic surgery even backfire, horribly disfiguring people for life. So, while the “Hey, it’s a free country” crowd might not approve, many countries around the world are introducing laws restricting cosmetic surgery for the greater public health good."

The medical and nursing profession are held accountable by their boards of professional responsibility and by the courts. I personally, think that is adequate. People are fools especially when they get a little money, so they do a lot of foolish things. Supposedly they have been evaluated to see if they want the surgery for a healthy reason and not because of some delusional illness. If that is taking place, OK. There are a lot of people who work in businesses that require them to be perpetually young or at least not old looking. They are just keeping up with their profession as others would by going to seminars. It's their risk. And they have recourse if they get a bad result. Many of them don't get that bat result until the 3rd or 4th time when coming anywhere close to normal is impossible.

Some of those countries you mention are also cradle to grave take care of everybody types. And when government gets into the business of taking care of everybody, they have to make a lot of rules to make that possible.

Cosmetic surgery? Caveat emptor

How can a plastic surgeon be expected to know if a patient is acting out of some mental infirmity when requesting a particular procedure?

Let it be...

Should the doctor who did that to him be held accountable in some way?

When any procedure is done, you sign a lot of papers stating you will not hold the doctor, hospital, etc. responsible for a bad result, and those possible bad outcomes are usually enumerated. Still, you can get a judgment if you can show medical negligence. I don't think getting a bad cosmetic surgery result should also result in the person who had the surgery getting rich(er) off the bad result. If there was negligence, sure go for the big pay off. If there was no negligence then there should be no compensation for the bad result. It is the risk the individual takes. Just like every other elective surgery.

But if a doctor does something he knows will harm you...

That is a different can of worms altogether. The elements of negligence are duty, breach, causation, and damages.

Knowingly harming a patient is negligence, but not just ordinary negligence, in many states knowingly harming a patient rises to the level of criminal negligence. Yes, doctors and nurses can be charged with that crime and some actually have been. In fact, if you 'should have known' that what you did would harm the patient, you can still be held accountable. What does a nurse have to know about every pill she gives? Everything that's in the PDR. Nurse gives pill and doesn't look it up. Pill interacts with another medication and causes harm that is negligence, and possibly even criminal negligence.

Last edited:
I always think of this one when the subject comes up.

a359_Jocelyn.jpg

What if a person who is by all evaluation of sound mind decides he wants two noses? The doctor does a perfect job of giving him two noses. Should that be allowable?

What if a person who is by all evaluation of sound mind decides he wants two noses? The doctor does a perfect job of giving him two noses. Should that be allowable?

If the doctor has no problem ethically or morally doing it, he takes that risk.

Arent there some wierdos out there who have surgically implanted horns to their head?

Almost as bad as two noses...but thats what the patient wanted, so thats what the doctor did. After signing much paperwork i am sure.

If some lady wanted 36FFFFFF breast implants..should she be allowed to get them?

There isnt much difference in the logic between the extra nose...and gargantuan breasts.

At some point doesn't that constitute harm to the patient, even if he or she doesn't realize it?

At some point doesn't it affect society at large?

How can a plastic surgeon be expected to know if a patient is acting out of some mental infirmity when requesting a particular procedure?

Maybe if it's their 20th procedure.
Heidi Montag was rumored to have had $1 million dollars of surgery done.
She wanted to look like Barbie...That's what she said in an interview... allegedly.

The doctor should know when to say no.

I dont think it necessarily affects SOCIETY.

If you got on the T and half the riders had horns and two noses, that wouldn't affect the other half of the riders?

It depends on if we let it become the norm.

Society adjusts. 20 years ago facial piercing wasn't a typical thing to see. Now it is.

Not saying I would do it. But if others want to? That's their right. If they can find the doctor to do it to them.

It shouldn't be the fault if the doctor for other peoples stupid choices like that.

I agree. If the doctor is in private practice, it is his or her choice on how to deliver their product or skill, and the patients know in advance of the risks, even if they want to look like an animal. The surgeon's practice will thrive or fail, with word-of-mouth advertising. There is a niche for everyone in a free market economy.

:eek:

I agree. If the doctor is in private practice, it is his or her choice on how to deliver their product or skill, and the patients know in advance of the risks, even if they want to look like an animal. The surgeon's practice will thrive or fail, with word-of-mouth advertising. There is a niche for everyone in a free market economy.

:eek:

:puke:

It's proof of medical responsibility gone wild.

Forum List

Back