Pictures Of Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Devastation

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Mad Scientist, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    My wife and I have relatives in Japan, mostly in Tokyo and Okinawa. My ex-wife has family in Yamagata, just west of the Sendai epicenter. We've been in contact with them all since the quake hit and thankfully they're all ok.

I remember experiencing a small quake in the fishing village of Sakata in Yamagata prefecture, which is west of Sendai back in the 90's. The house shook for a little bit but the ground felt like we were standing on a giant bowl of jelly that wobbled for about 5 minutes after the shaking stopped. Nothing like the quakes we experienced growing up in SoCal.

Plus my wife reminded me that we have friends in Sendai. A Japanese couple were living here in Pennsylvania while he was attending a University near Harrisburg. When he graduated he and his wife bought a house in Sendai about a year ago. We haven't heard from them but we're hoping and praying they're they're ok.

I've actually been to the fishing village of Sendai before. My former father-in-law and I booked a half day fishing boat there back in 1988.

It's not like you haven't seen enough but here they are:

Japan Hit By Massive Earthquake and Tsunami >> TotallyCoolPix

The Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Aftermath >> TotallyCoolPix

2. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Food and water scarce in disaster area...
    :(
    Japanese Struggling to Find Food and Water in Disaster Area
    March 12, 2011 - Officials with Japan's nuclear safety agency said early Sunday morning there is an emergency at another nuclear reactor at a quake-hit power plant. The agency says the cooling system at the number three reactor at the Fukushima nuclear power plant is offline and could possibly explode, following Saturday's blast at the plant's number one reactor.
    See also:

Expert: Nuclear Radiation Could Spread Far Beyond Japan
    March 13, 2011 - An American nuclear expert says radiation from Japan could spread across the Pacific and reach the United States if a complete meltdown occurs at a Japanese nuclear facility damaged as a result of last week’s earthquake and subsequent tsunami.

4. LaRueJC56

LaRueJC56 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just heard and saw the Swing Girls, which was filmed in the Yamagata prefecture. Is there any way to find out what happened to them or where they would normally be?

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    My heart goes out to these people. Their lives have been changed forever. Mother Nature, and God, can be an awesome force at times.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. hendrickL

hendrickL BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I really feel sorry about what happened in Japan, too many people, lives, and even economy were affected. I even heard that Japan is ramping up production in the wake of the 9.0 March 11 earthquake, and major factory-to-dealer rewards are on the way from Toyota and Nissan to move the anticipated inventory wave. Whether it is cash, rates of interest or lease incentives, the Japanese automakers are set to push inventory out the door in the United States, writes Automotive News. The incentive plans have come on the tails of less than impressive sales numbers in early May, largely due to Japan's March 11 9.0 earthquakes. I read this here: Toyota and Nissan fire up the incentive engine again, cardealexpert.com/news-information.

7. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    possum thinks mebbe dey could use it to build another island to put another airport on...
    :cool:
    Town's dilemma: Mountains of tsunami debris, no place to put it
    Before officials in Minamisanriku, Japan, can begin rebuilding from the March 11 tsunami, they must first dispose of what remains of their coastal town: an estimated 650,000 to 700,000 tons of wreckage that they have nowhere to put.