Philippines airs concern over Chinese incursions into Benham Rise

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
MANILA (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - The report of Chinese presence in waters east of the Philippines comes at a time when President Rodrigo Duterte is trying to avoid confronting Beijing with last year’s arbitral tribunal ruling that invalidated China’s claim to nearly the entire South China Sea.

Concerned about Chinese ships sailing in the waters of Benham Rise, Malacañang said on Friday the Philippines would continue asserting its sovereignty over this maritime territory east of Luzon, according to presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella.

Abella said in a statement that the United Nations had recognized Benham Rise, an undersea landmass in the Pacific Ocean potentially rich in mineral and natural gas deposits, as part of the Philippines.

“The Department of National Defence has already notified the Department of Foreign Affairs regarding this matter as we continue to assert our sovereignty over our territory,” Abella said.
Philippines airs concern over Chinese incursions into Benham Rise

I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you-all over again.

Duterte was so anti-Obama that he jumped into bed with the Chinese (YUGE arms deal) too early. If he would have just cooled his jets for a few months...
'The enemy of my enemy' I guess. The Flipapeens is far too small a player to be engaging in these kinds of games.

US Govt: "Back over here Duterte...now sit down and shut up". You know it's going to happen. Banana Rep shouldn't try to play hard ball...they just dont have enough skin.

Forum List

Back