Perry Offers Economic Plan

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "Oct. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Texas Governor Rick Perry, who is seeking the Republican presidential nomination, unveils the first part of his economic plan today, promising to create 1.2 million jobs by expanding domestic energy exploration.

2. “My plan will break the grip of dependence we have today on foreign oil from hostile nations like Venezuela and unstable nations in the Middle East to grow jobs and our economy at home.”

3. “When it comes to energy, the president would kill domestic jobs through aggressive regulations, while I would unleash 1.2 million American jobs through safe and aggressive energy exploration at home.”

4. Perry said he would create energy-related jobs by returning drilling permits in the Gulf of Mexico to 2007 levels, expanding drilling in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas off Alaska, and allowing drilling in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Perry said his plan would increase domestic oil production by 25 percent."
Perry Unveils Economic Plan, Says Energy Search Will Create Jobs - Businessweek

5. "Instead of developing proven U.S. oil and gas resources, Washington has curtailed energy exploration. The Gulf of Mexico restrictions alone have cost up to 12,000 jobs and forced drilling platforms to relocate to other countries.

6. We can create hundreds of thousands of jobs and increase our oil output by 25 percent if we fully develop oil and gas shale formations in the Northeast, mountain West and Southwest. I also support drilling in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge coastal plain (ANWR), offshore expansion in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas, and development of the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska, all of which would maintain the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System. This will create more than 185,000 U.S. jobs.

7. If the EPA’s emissions regulations go into effect as scheduled, they could cost America 1.65 million jobs by 2020, while dramatically increasing average U.S. electricity prices.

8. Much of my plan can be accomplished by changing the occupant of the White House and removing the liberal, anti-job activists running regulatory agencies in Washington. With the stroke of a pen, I will initiate a review of all Obama-era regulations, begin a comment and review period, and work to eliminate onerous rules that kill jobs with little benefit to the environment."
Rick Perry: We must remove energy production obstacles to create jobs | New Hampshire LOCALVOICES

I'd also remove the obstacles for the pipeline from Canada to the gulf, and encourage more natural gas production. Is Perry's plan much different from any of the other repub candidates? I don't really know, just asking.

Actually, from what I read, Perry is planning on creating jobs by engaging in partisan hackery and propaganda. Perry is a joke. He will, at best, create a million minimum wage jobs, filled by illegal immigrants.

I'd also remove the obstacles for the pipeline from Canada to the gulf, and encourage more natural gas production. Is Perry's plan much different from any of the other repub candidates? I don't really know, just asking.

Hope so...

Clearly, Perry still has the ability to compete:
"GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney says he has raised more than $14 million in the July-to-September fundraising period, but he has less money in the bank than rival Rick Perry as the volatile race heats up.

Romney said he has $14.65 million cash on hand. That compares to $15 million in the bank for Perry, the Texas governor, who has already said he raised more than $17 million in his first seven weeks in the 2012 race."

Romney raises more than $14M but trails Perry

"...encourage more natural gas production..."
Great idea!
1. Much of US natural gas is located in environmentally sensitive federal lands.

2. Some of the largest natural gas deposits are in Latin America, and we import it as LNG, liquefied natural gas. It has been cooled and liquefied to the point where it can be loaded onto boats. LNG is a pipeless way to connect the gas consumers to the producers.

a. Peru and Bolivia have some of the largest gas reserves.

3. But- off-loading facilities at port are severely limited: limited to four.

a. Louisiana

b. Boston- used exclusively in winter, when New England’s gas market spikes due to winter heating.

c. Cove Point, Maryland

d. Savannah, Georgia.

e. There have been no new facilities built. This limits our ability to import LNG.
This is from “Pipeline,” a novel by Peter Schechter.

So ... Perry is offering ... absolutely nothing new.

And this will help us how?

Actually, the post answered that question.

It's astounding that you are able to post, but not able to read!!!

Any good "conservative" on this board will tell you that a temporary job is not a real job and therefore is waste of government time and resources. Drilling for something that has a finite supply means these jobs will all end at some point. They are all temporary. They are all a waste of time.

Additionally, the U.S. domestically generates 2B barrels of oil a year, while importing 1.8B from OPEC. A 25% increase still means we are importing over 1B barrels per year from countries that don't like us. Also, we use 6.3B barrels per year. A 10% reduction in our oil use is actually more beneficial than a 25% increase in production.

Perry has this all wrong. Permanent, long-term jobs in an energy source that doesn't require oil, that is how you put people to work and reduce our imports from countries that don't like us.

edit:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_sum_snd_d_nus_mbbl_m_cur.htm

http://205.254.135.24/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_a.htm

Actually, from what I read, Perry is planning on creating jobs by engaging in partisan hackery and propaganda. Perry is a joke. He will, at best, create a million minimum wage jobs, filled by illegal immigrants.

These oil and natural gas jobs are hardly minimum wage. But they certainly don't help everyone and all areas of the country. In other areas, they hurt as many or more than they help. All the fracking operations in northern Pennsylvania do poison the Delaware water. I guess my home state is already poor from the chemical factories and oil refineries up near Wilmington, but one needs to be careful about not making it worse. At least subject it to the Clean Water Act.

The only joke is the one in the White House....a million new jobs would be a great start to correct the BO job-killing program of the past 3 years...

Perry at least knows how to help create real jobs.....not just throw money around...

So ... Perry is offering ... absolutely nothing new.

And this will help us how?

Any good "conservative" on this board will tell you that a temporary job is not a real job and therefore is waste of government time and resources. Drilling for something that has a finite supply means these jobs will all end at some point. They are all temporary. They are all a waste of time.

Additionally, the U.S. domestically generates 2B barrels of oil a year, while importing 1.8B from OPEC. A 25% increase still means we are importing over 1B barrels per year from countries that don't like us. Also, we use 6.3B barrels per year. A 10% reduction in our oil use is actually more beneficial than a 25% increase in production.

Perry has this all wrong. Permanent, long-term jobs in an energy source that doesn't require oil, that is how you put people to work and reduce our imports from countries that don't like us.

edit:

Supply and Disposition of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products

U.S. Total Crude Oil and Products Imports

"Permanent, long-term jobs in an energy source that doesn't require oil,...."

So, oil industry jobs aren't long term?

Does that make sense...even to you???

Did you realize that the first successful oil well was in 1859?

edit:

Don't take it up with me! "Conservatives" are the ones who claim a temporary job isn't a real job.

As for the well in 1859, I assume you are referring to the Drake Oil Well in Pennsylvania. Did you know oil production peaked there about 30 years later? Oil only helped a generation, maybe two. Future generations had nothing to show for the previous drilling.

1. "Oct. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Texas Governor Rick Perry, who is seeking the Republican presidential nomination, unveils the first part of his economic plan today, promising to create 1.2 million jobs by expanding domestic energy exploration.

2. “My plan will break the grip of dependence we have today on foreign oil from hostile nations like Venezuela and unstable nations in the Middle East to grow jobs and our economy at home.”

3. “When it comes to energy, the president would kill domestic jobs through aggressive regulations, while I would unleash 1.2 million American jobs through safe and aggressive energy exploration at home.”

4. Perry said he would create energy-related jobs by returning drilling permits in the Gulf of Mexico to 2007 levels, expanding drilling in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas off Alaska, and allowing drilling in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Perry said his plan would increase domestic oil production by 25 percent."
Perry Unveils Economic Plan, Says Energy Search Will Create Jobs - Businessweek

5. "Instead of developing proven U.S. oil and gas resources, Washington has curtailed energy exploration. The Gulf of Mexico restrictions alone have cost up to 12,000 jobs and forced drilling platforms to relocate to other countries.

6. We can create hundreds of thousands of jobs and increase our oil output by 25 percent if we fully develop oil and gas shale formations in the Northeast, mountain West and Southwest. I also support drilling in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge coastal plain (ANWR), offshore expansion in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas, and development of the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska, all of which would maintain the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System. This will create more than 185,000 U.S. jobs.

7. If the EPA’s emissions regulations go into effect as scheduled, they could cost America 1.65 million jobs by 2020, while dramatically increasing average U.S. electricity prices.

8. Much of my plan can be accomplished by changing the occupant of the White House and removing the liberal, anti-job activists running regulatory agencies in Washington. With the stroke of a pen, I will initiate a review of all Obama-era regulations, begin a comment and review period, and work to eliminate onerous rules that kill jobs with little benefit to the environment."
Rick Perry: We must remove energy production obstacles to create jobs | New Hampshire LOCALVOICES
Sounds like great news for Houston Texas...

....I'm having trouble with specificities about exactly what the 1,285,000 jobs will be. I'm always skeptical of round figures like 1.2 million jobs and 85,000 jobs.

It would also be nice to see a presidential candidate from Texas propose a plan that includes job growth proposals in industries besides oil production.

Still digesting the link, and going deep....more later.

Good thread PC....people are actually discussing facts and figures......well.....maybe a few.....or maybe they will more later......

Last edited:
Sounds like great news for Houston Texas...

....I'm having trouble with specificities about exactly what the 1,285,000 jobs will be. I'm always skeptical of round figures like 1.2 million jobs and 85,000 jobs.

It would also be nice to see a presidential candidate from Texas propose a plan that includes job growth proposals in industries besides oil production.

Exactly.

Hope so...

"GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney says he has raised more than $14 million in the July-to-September fundraising period, but he has less money in the bank than rival Rick Perry as the volatile race heats up.

Romney said he has $14.65 million cash on hand. That compares to $15 million in the bank for Perry, the Texas governor, who has already said he raised more than $17 million in his first seven weeks in the 2012 race."

I dont mind being the one to inform you, but on oct 19 Ron Paul will raise another 6 million, which will put him on par with dumb and dumber.

PS

Ron Paul doesnt get campain money from lobbiests or from big business. He gets his money from citizens who are sick of the government on there backs and in there wallets. Already more then 20 times the amount of donors as perry with half the money.

OCT 19 will set the standard for election funding.

Last edited:

edit:

Don't take it up with me! "Conservatives" are the ones who claim a temporary job isn't a real job.

As for the well in 1859, I assume you are referring to the Drake Oil Well in Pennsylvania. Did you know oil production peaked there about 30 years later? Oil only helped a generation, maybe two. Future generations had nothing to show for the previous drilling.

Do you understand that your unspoken assumption is that jobs disappear in the industry when a well is no longer functioning?
This is not the case....other well, other places, other jobs.
And no retraining necessary.

Put a little thought into this.

So, the soon-to-be-irrelevant-candidate-from-Texas's plan is to ...

... make the country more like Texas?

BTW, in the OP, I count 197,000 jobs. Where do the other 1,003,000 jobs come from?

Last edited:
Perry Offers Economic Plan

That should be a laugher. Was that before or after crying in his beer about religous persecution.

Hope so...

"...encourage more natural gas production..."
Great idea!
1. Much of US natural gas is located in environmentally sensitive federal lands.

2. Some of the largest natural gas deposits are in Latin America, and we import it as LNG, liquefied natural gas. It has been cooled and liquefied to the point where it can be loaded onto boats. LNG is a pipeless way to connect the gas consumers to the producers.

a. Peru and Bolivia have some of the largest gas reserves.

3. But- off-loading facilities at port are severely limited: limited to four.

a. Louisiana

b. Boston- used exclusively in winter, when New England’s gas market spikes due to winter heating.

c. Cove Point, Maryland

d. Savannah, Georgia.

e. There have been no new facilities built. This limits our ability to import LNG.
This is from “Pipeline,” a novel by Peter Schechter.

PC, my dear, you are dated. The reason why nat gas is $4 is because we are swimming, nay "floating," in the stuff. It's $16 in Japan and $8-$10 in Europe. We won't be importing nat gas. If anything, we will be exporting LNG.

The candidates should be thinking about finding ways to use nat gas more so than just "drill for more oil."

So, the soon-to-be-irrelevant-candidate-from-Texas's plan is to ...

... make the country more like Texas?

Who could've guessed that the "economic plan" of the Governor of Texas would be drill, drill, and drill some more?

I guess it's true that if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that 1.1 million Americans work in the oil and gas industry.

The idea that Perry's plan would double that number is ludicrous.

Forum List

Back