People who "hate" Christianity

Well, I guess where we disagree is the part that I bolded. I would say that the majoity of Christians don't do that at all, only a few. And there are probably as many atheists that do the same, but most do not.

I would agree with you...the majority of Christians don't do this. But, if I encounter 100 people in a day, and 85 are Christians, and of those, 12 are very public Christians and assholes, they're going to have a larger effect on my impression of Christianity than the 1 muslim asshole I may encounter that day.

Sheerly, on the basis of demographics, the assholes I encounter are more likely to be Christians. That doesn't mean that all Christians are assholes, it's just a function of your numerousness in the overall population.

The only thing that you can do about it is to pay attention to your own walk, and hold your peers in the faith accountable for theirs.

I don't hold anyone accountable for anything in their own lives, nor am I responsible for what they do or don't do. I work in a fairly major city and I've never had anyone come up to me and preach or try to push anything whatsoever on me. I certainly encounter assholes, but have no idea what their religious background is, and I make no assumptions either. ;)

Good post. I guess I must be in the small minority of people that has never had anyone come to their door trying to push or peddle anything. Lucky me.

Lucky you indeed. When I lived in Phoenix I was about the only non-Mormon in like a three block radius. They tried to convert me at first but after a while they realized I wasn't going to budge and left me alone after that. Now I admit I had a great time on Sundays walking outside with a smoke and a cold brew and saying "cheers" to everyone in the neighborhood having fellowship....and I did go as a Mormon missionary for Halloween one year which got some interesting reactions, but it was all good. It's not like they hated me or I hated them. We just chose different ways of going about our lives.

The other thing I try to keep in mind is that, as annoying as it can be sometimes, a "Bible knocker" is showing you an act of caring. They are not there because they want money, or they want something from you. They are there to give to you. I may not be particularly interested in receiving what they are offering but their intention is a positive one....I try to remember that.

I would agree with you...the majority of Christians don't do this. But, if I encounter 100 people in a day, and 85 are Christians, and of those, 12 are very public Christians and assholes, they're going to have a larger effect on my impression of Christianity than the 1 muslim asshole I may encounter that day.

Sheerly, on the basis of demographics, the assholes I encounter are more likely to be Christians. That doesn't mean that all Christians are assholes, it's just a function of your overrepresentation in the total population.

The only thing that you can do about it is to pay attention to your own walk, and hold your peers in the faith accountable for theirs.

I understand your point and I think it's a valid one. You react to what you experience. Most people only see the negative side of Islam, for example, on TV or through terrorist acts. Far fewer see the positive side...those who actually follow what Islam actually says. The same holds true of Christians, but as you correctly point out, sheer numbers in the United States means it's far more "in your face" than other religions.

I think your point is valid

There is an important distinction between saying you hate Christianity and you hate Christians. I might say I hate Christianity. I hate religion in general. That doesn't mean I hate the practitioners.

What I hate about religion in general and Christianity in particular is that I honestly don't get it. I don't see how people can believe what is, to me, so obviously a flawed and man made construct. I hate that there's this thing which most of humanity believes in in some form that doesn't make sense to me.

It also helps that I don't think there's anything wrong with hate. :lol:

Well, I guess where we disagree is the part that I bolded. I would say that the majoity of Christians don't do that at all, only a few. And there are probably as many atheists that do the same, but most do not.

Sheerly, on the basis of demographics, the assholes I encounter are more likely to be Christians. That doesn't mean that all Christians are assholes, it's just a function of your numerousness in the overall population.

I don't hold anyone accountable for anything in their own lives, nor am I responsible for what they do or don't do. I work in a fairly major city and I've never had anyone come up to me and preach or try to push anything whatsoever on me. I certainly encounter assholes, but have no idea what their religious background is, and I make no assumptions either. ;)

I'm guessing you don't live in the South. One of my neighbors cornered me (with her shopping cart) at Publix to talk to me about how speaking in tongues could change my life.

And yet, she's one of the meanest, most underhanded bitches I've ever met.

I'm guessing you don't live in the South. One of my neighbors cornered me (with her shopping cart) at Publix to talk to me about how speaking in tongues could change my life.

No, I don't. I've never had anyone, stranger or acquaintence, try to force their beliefs on me. I find it difficult to imagine it happening, hence my skepticism.

No, I don't. I've never had anyone, stranger or acquaintence, try to force their beliefs on me. I find it difficult to imagine it happening, hence my skepticism.

Don't you live in like Pennsylvania or something?

Yeah, the south is a totally different world. TOTALLY. Your whackadoo fundamentalists are significantly outnumbered up there. Ours are running things down here.

If you doubt it, feel free to visit, spend money, and come see our alligators and old people and amusement parks. Make sure you stop at Bible World in Orlando, and then spend some time in North Florida, South Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi or South Carolina, to get the full effect.

Last edited:

Yeah, ok....that's a little much. A good swift kick to the nether-regions would be called for in that situation.

Hate hurts you more than those you hate, it takes effort away from doing other things, such a waste of time.

I agree that many Christians don't act very 'Christ like' at times, but everyone is human, that is why there is the need for Christ and His grace. Do you really expect everyone who is a Christian to be perfect? Also, don't you see from your own comments about 'bad behavior' from Christians that you are being just as judgmental as you are accusing them of being? Maybe someone was having a bad day? What happened to the 'tolerance' and the 'coexist'? While many Christians may in fact be hyprocrits, I really don't see any difference in those that claim to 'hate' Christians either. It's called being human.

I don't "hate" christians, for starters. Sometimes they annoy the shiz out of me, but I mostly suck it up and move on.

I fully understand that I am judgemental and intolerant at times (particularly of stupid people). But, I don't walk around proclaiming to be God's representative on earth, telling people how sinful their lives and choices are, or whining about how people "hate" me and my faith.

It is what it is. I recognize that I am an acquired taste, and not everyone likes bitch-flavored humans.

But, Christians need to realize that they are actually setting themselves up for some of this and playing a role in some of the "anti-Christian hate."

When some Christians presume that it is their right to use the force of government to force their religion on me I get offended.
Not at Christianity, religion or the Bible, but OFFENDED AT THEM.
Same with any and all religion.

Forum List

Back