People who "hate" Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by catzmeow, Apr 4, 2012.

1. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    "Why do people hate Christianity?" "Why do people attack Christianity, but never Islam or Buddhism or Hinduism?"

I've seen these questions a lot, from Christians on this and other forums, and I thought that for once I would provide a serious answer, and an opportunity for self-reflection.

It probably comes from having a lot more negative encounters with Christians than with practitioners of other faiths. The average American doesn't encounter all that many buddhists, Islamics, or Jews on a daily basis, but can't swing a dead cat without hitting several Christians. Unless you live in Dearborne, Michigan (or some other similar area with a relatively high per capita population of Muslims), the average American's opportunities for daily contacts with Muslims are extremely limited. But, most of us interact with dozens of Christians on a daily basis. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Think about it...in a group of 100 Americans, 78 will be self-professed Christians of one stripe or another. 5 will be Jewish, buddhist, hindu or muslim. 1 will be some other faith. 16 will have no religious affiliation. We're 15 times more likely to interact with a Christian on a daily basis than we are someone of another faith. And, if you live in certain regions, that becomes much, much higher, because large populations of Jews, Muslims, etc. are only found in major urban centers and predominantly in certain regions of the U.S.

Personally, I dislike all fundamentalist religions about the same amount. But, fundamentalist Christians get on my nerves more often, because I encounter bad behavior from them more often than I do the other groups simply by virtue of our demographics in the area in which I live. My office is probably 90% Christian-affiliated, maybe 8% non-affiliated and 2% other. And, some of the most annoying people I work with are the first ones to loudly proclaim themselves to be Christians.

Do I blame Christianity for Christians? Not necessarily, but it is an ongoing opportunity for me to observe how unworkable your faith actually is for most people, who are doing. it. wrong.

Why do some people "hate" Christianity? The answer is simple: self-professed Christians.

Why do people mock your faith? Because for many of us, while they are exaggerated for dramatic effect, the television show "Good Christian Bitches" points out behaviors that are just all too common to our experiences.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    Hate hurts you more than those you hate, it takes effort away from doing other things, such a waste of time.

I agree that many Christians don't act very 'Christ like' at times, but everyone is human, that is why there is the need for Christ and His grace. Do you really expect everyone who is a Christian to be perfect? Also, don't you see from your own comments about 'bad behavior' from Christians that you are being just as judgmental as you are accusing them of being? Maybe someone was having a bad day? What happened to the 'tolerance' and the 'coexist'? While many Christians may in fact be hyprocrits, I really don't see any difference in those that claim to 'hate' Christians either. It's called being human.

3. inALIENable

inALIENable BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Here's why I don't like religiontards.

Superstitious people are irrational and dangerous. They preach intolerance and terror with their threats of beheadings and eternal damnation in hell if we don't recognize and bow down to their particular spook and superstitious dogma and join their clan, gang, group, whatever.

Get rid of all that hate and intolerance and threats of beheadings and eternal damnation in hell in your dogma and words and maybe then things would be different.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    In addition to the inevitable personal flaws that we all share as human beings, fundamentalist religious believers -- which, in the U.S., as the OP pointed out overwhelmingly means fundamentalist Christians -- have some unique problems of their own. These include a denial of freedom, a belief in the superiority of their own faith, and a compulsion (often explicit) to proselytize.

Are fundamentalist Muslims any better? No, if anything, they're worse; we haven't seen any Christian wackos flying planes into buildings lately (then again there was the OKC bombing, so we shouldn't jump to conclusions). But in America, dogmatic Christians have one thing about them that does make them immeasurably worse than dogmatic Muslims.

They're here. Lots of them.

5. inALIENable

inALIENable BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yeah, they sure are, and they won't stop flying their fists into our doors.

The next religiontard that knocks on my door and threatens me with eternal damnation in hell if I don't submit to their dogma and spook is going to be leaving by ambulance and spending what might seem like eternity in a full body cast, ha.. :tongue:

Remove the intolerance and threats from all religious dogma and you all won't be seen as terrorists..

6. Newby

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    Irony at it's best... :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. inALIENable

inALIENable BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I wonder, can I invoke the stand your ground option here? :badgrin:

8. Newby

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    Too late... I already fired... ;)

9. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Inalienable, I'm afraid you kind of put your foot in it there. Rather than physically attacking Christian door-knockers, I suggest (and I know this works from personal experience) erecting a Pagan altar in the front hall. If you're not a Pagan it wouldn't have to be real, but it should look as outrageous as possible. Be sure to include naked statues of the Lord and Lady, and His should have a good set of horns or antlers.

Or, more simply, when you see them coming, and you're sure it's them, just answer the door naked. Trust me, they'll never come back.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    I don't "hate" christians, for starters. Sometimes they annoy the shiz out of me, but I mostly suck it up and move on.

I fully understand that I am judgemental and intolerant at times (particularly of stupid people). But, I don't walk around proclaiming to be God's representative on earth, telling people how sinful their lives and choices are, or whining about how people "hate" me and my faith.

It is what it is. I recognize that I am an acquired taste, and not everyone likes bitch-flavored humans.

But, Christians need to realize that they are actually setting themselves up for some of this and playing a role in some of the "anti-Christian hate."