Paul Ryan is rumored to be throwing his hand in the rest as well as ...

I'd love to see Paul Ryan jump in the race. He is someone I could seriously consider supporting strongly.

Christie's my governor, and I'm a conservative, but I still wouldn't vote for him either, regardless of his favorability. I voted for his main opponent in our primary and didn't vote for him in the general.

I don't trust him.

Why don't you trust him? He seems like he doesn't take crap from anyone to me, but I am in California, so please enlighten me why you don't.

Christie's my governor, and I'm a conservative, but I still wouldn't vote for him either, regardless of his favorability. I voted for his main opponent in our primary and didn't vote for him in the general.

I don't trust him.

can you tell us why? what has he done to make you distrust him?

Because he's establishment, Willow. I'm sick and tired of the establishment. They fuck us every chance they get regardless of which party it is.

We had a MUCH better conservative running against him in the primary, named Steve Lonegan, and Lonegan was beating him in the polls leading into the primary election. Christie's establishment hack team of Steve Forbes and Giuliani put together an 11th hour TV ad spinning Lonegan's tax policy as an increase in taxes, which was just a blatant lie.

Christie is a lawyer. Since when do we conservatives trust lawyers? Lonegan was mayor of Bogota, NJ and had an excellent fiscal record there.

Christie has a lot of connection to liberals in his past, and in fact ran as a democrat in 1993 for state senator.

His position on guns is moderate at best, but leans to the left in my opinion. His position on assault weapons is definitely liberal.

He's done a few decent things so far as governor, like take on the teachers union, but it's mostly been rhetoric for the most part which means nothing to me. And he had no other choice but to take on the union because that was probably the biggest reason he was elected in the first place.

So no, I don't trust him to be a true conservative, because he isn't one.

Good points and you answered my question.

Ryan took major heat when his proposal to fix entitlements was first released...much of it coming from Democrats who demonized him for wanting to "gut" Medicare. That was a year ago.

While Ryan's old Roadmap, a precursor (that was less offensive in some ways) to this year's budget has been around for a bit, the Ryan/Republican FY12 budget certainly wasn't sprung on the public prior to last year's elections. When asked prior to the elections if the Roadmap would be pursued in a Republican-controlled House, the leadership disavowed it:

Representative John A. Boehner, Republican of Ohio, the minority leader, has praised Mr. Ryan but said the Roadmap would not be a part of the Republican agenda this fall.

“There are parts of it that are well done,” Mr. Boehner told reporters last month. “Other parts I have some doubts about, in terms of how good the policy is.”​

Bullshit, of course, but it kept Ryan's ideas from getting too much press prior to the elections. Wouldn't want to have to campaign on your agenda.

Once they had power, Ryan set about supercharging his old proposals, wiping out any semblance of moderation--amping it up on Tea Party-approved steroids, if you will. That product, "The Path to Prosperity," was released four months ago, not a year ago. And it hasn't been well-received, outside of reactionary circles.

From what I've read, I like Paul Ryan. I like that he wants to totally reform the budget process and how our tax dollars are spent. He sees the trouble we are in and isn't hiding behind a bunch of rhetoric and campaign schtooping. He wants to start with this in the fall and put in place some processes to stop the rampant spending.

Chris Christie.. I just on the news. No links yet as soon I find them I will post

I would have to ask why?

Not seeing a good reason for it, other than maybe Paul Ryan realizes he's out the door in 2012 or 2014.

Same with Chris Christie. One thing that "Governor of New Jersey" is not known for is being a position anyone holds for a long time. (It's one of the first "Buyer's Remorse" elections after a presidential one.)

Forum List

Back