Parents Can't Parent Anymore

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Hobbit, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    First, it's spanking. Now this. When is the government just gonna step back and let parents raise their kids, or are we gonna force a Hillary-esque "village raising" technique where parents barely get to do anything.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/09/parental.snooping.ap/index.html

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    SEATTLE, Washington.

Well, need we say more?

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    The rest of Washington State is not this weird, really. Seattle ruins it for the rest of us... :(

4. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    This is just another attack upon parental rights. Once the State has wrested away the rights of parents to control their children, guess who gets to control the children? And by default, society at large?

Since when are parents to be denied their rights to monitor their children, whether it is listening in on the phone or going through their belongings at home or in their school lockers? Or any number of things in order to keep them on the straight and narrow until they reach the age of majority at 18.

I think it is time that we call the liberals by their real name: Communists.
    One of the precepts of communism is to relace the role of the parent with the state.

ps: did I ever mention that Seattle has a prominent public statue of Lenin?

5. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I am the walrus?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Some of you may already know this, but for those of you who don't. It's against the law for parents to spank their children in Michigan and Oregon.

I don't mean beat the children, I'm talking a swat on the butt. Supposedly this spanking makes children violent.

Now I was spanked and it taught me that there are consiquences to my actions. Time out doesn't work with all chidren and sometimes they need a swat to get the point across to them that what they're doing won't be tolerated.

The gov. holds parents responsible for what they're children do until they turn 18. But, by presecuting parents for listening to phone calls and spanking they're showing the kids that they can do whatever they want and they won't get in trouble for it. What are parents to do??

7. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I don't have a problem with this ruling. The court did not rule that a parent could not monitor a child's conversation. The court ruled that information gathered in this matter could not be used as evidence in a criminal proceeding. The police and certainly the district attorney's office should have known better than to proceed to trial with information obtained by telephone monitoring without a warrant.

I think I'm probably as anti-activist court as anybody, but this ruling seems reasonable to me.

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    one word: minors
    since when do minors have right to privacy in thier parents house? you know what i was told when i wanted privacy at my house? if you want privacy, move on out, but as long as your here, you have none.

little spoiled bastards now days

whats next? we have to ask them what they want for dinner or its abuse?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Hey Johnney! I can tell by your avatar that you were a poor beaten deprived child who didn't learn right from wrong when you grew up because you are beating the daylights out of Saddam who obviously represents the good example of a parent who allowed his children to break any law that they please. :rolleyes:

10. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    I do have a problem with it. The court ruled that the information gotten by the parent by listening on the phone could not be used as evidence. That phone the child was using belonged to the parent. Anything said on that phone should be within the purvue of the parent. As anything their children do or say should be within the purvue of the parent.

This ruling is effectively telling the parent that they cannot use information about their children that they hear on the phone. If the parent heard that an old woman was knocked down and her purse was stolen is the parent just supposed to ignore what went down? Why can't the parent take this information to the police and make sure that the old lady was given back her money and that their child was punished? According to this law, the parent is not able to do this.

Instead, the government is protecting the child under phone laws that should be used only for adults. A child should not have the "expectation of privacy".