Pacific & IO storms making up for benign Atlantic

Abraham3

Rookie
Aug 1, 2012
These are both today's reports.

New Delhi, India (CNN) -- Hours after it snapped power lines, overturned cars and ripped away bamboo homes, the most powerful cyclone to hit India in years weakened Sunday, but not before it left at least seven dead.

Morning light revealed damage from Tropical Cyclone Phailin after it pounded the eastern coast, the strongest storm in India in 14 years.

Debris littered wet streets; gaping holes replaced roofs and windows in buildings.
At least seven deaths were confirmed, said Prabhat Mohapatra, a special relief commissioner in Odisha state, where the cyclone landed.

Massive evacuation efforts helped limit the number of casualties, officials said.
"Ganjam is the worst affected district with massive destruction," said Kamal Lochan Mishra, a state disaster management official. "Our first priority is to clear the roads and we expect all the roads across districts to be cleared by noon."

Cyclone Phailin kills 7, leaves trail of destruction in India - CNN.com

(CNN) -- At least 13 people were killed when Typhoon Nari pounded the Philippines over the weekend, the country's disaster management agency said.

The typhoon struck the country's north Saturday, displacing more than 43,000 people in 11 provinces, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.

The deaths reported were due to falling trees, electrocution, mudslides, drowning and collapsed structures, it said. Three fishermen remain missing, and 1,900 passengers are stranded at different ports.

Typhoon Nari pounds the Philippines, killing 13 - CNN.com

These are both today's reports.

New Delhi, India (CNN) -- Hours after it snapped power lines, overturned cars and ripped away bamboo homes, the most powerful cyclone to hit India in years weakened Sunday, but not before it left at least seven dead.

Morning light revealed damage from Tropical Cyclone Phailin after it pounded the eastern coast, the strongest storm in India in 14 years.

Debris littered wet streets; gaping holes replaced roofs and windows in buildings.
At least seven deaths were confirmed, said Prabhat Mohapatra, a special relief commissioner in Odisha state, where the cyclone landed.

Massive evacuation efforts helped limit the number of casualties, officials said.
"Ganjam is the worst affected district with massive destruction," said Kamal Lochan Mishra, a state disaster management official. "Our first priority is to clear the roads and we expect all the roads across districts to be cleared by noon."

Cyclone Phailin kills 7, leaves trail of destruction in India - CNN.com

(CNN) -- At least 13 people were killed when Typhoon Nari pounded the Philippines over the weekend, the country's disaster management agency said.

The typhoon struck the country's north Saturday, displacing more than 43,000 people in 11 provinces, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.

The deaths reported were due to falling trees, electrocution, mudslides, drowning and collapsed structures, it said. Three fishermen remain missing, and 1,900 passengers are stranded at different ports.

Typhoon Nari pounds the Philippines, killing 13 - CNN.com

Hmmmm . . yeah, right: typhoons have never hit India until now.

• Banned
I'm simply suggesting that one look a little further afield before concluding that there has been no change in the severity of our weather.

The western pacific has 26 named storms. Nearly 2.5 months remaining within this year.

This is the most active year in a decade ;) 2004 with its 31.

A few years had 24...

The whole storm naming scheme has changed so that people can do exactly what you have done. The number of storms that would be named under the old system has not changed. Now it seems that any gust of wind with enough power to blow the fluff off a dandilion gets a name.

• Banned
I think you may be confused. Since 1950, tropical storms and above, have been alphabetically assigned women's names from one of six annual lists. This system was created and is managed and operated by the World Meteorological Organizations. Two years ago, The Weather Channel, on its own, decided to begin assigning names (in a hashtag format) to winter storms that it found noteworthy. The WMO is not happy about it. I could find no indication that the WMO has changed the thresholds for naming a storm but I could have missed it. If you have such info, please provide a link.

I think you may be confused. Since 1950, tropical storms and above, have been alphabetically assigned women's names from one of six annual lists. This system was created and is managed and operated by the World Meteorological Organizations. Two years ago, The Weather Channel, on its own, decided to begin assigning names (in a hashtag format) to winter storms that it found noteworthy. The WMO is not happy about it. I could find no indication that the WMO has changed the thresholds for naming a storm but I could have missed it. If you have such info, please provide a link.

Look it up yourself or revel in your ignorance. Whatever pleases you. I have grown tired of providing you with links which you promptly ignore.

The western pacific has 26 named storms. Nearly 2.5 months remaining within this year.

This is the most active year in a decade ;) 2004 with its 31.

A few years had 24...

The whole storm naming scheme has changed so that people can do exactly what you have done. The number of storms that would be named under the old system has not changed. Now it seems that any gust of wind with enough power to blow the fluff off a dandilion gets a name.

Crap man.. Now they started to name snow storms so that 10 years from now some warmer can claim that the number of "NAMED" winter storms has drastically increased in this decade..

Weather satellites with Doppler wind measurements are from circa 1980s.. And not all that good until 1990 because of ground signal processing.. And they STILL need to fly planes to confirm the highest winds..

Last edited:

Look it up yourself or revel in your ignorance. Whatever pleases you. I have grown tired of providing you with links which you promptly ignore.

You have not provided me with links. I have attempted to look this up and can find no mention of the WMO changing the requirements for naming a storm. If you can't provide a link, I will have to throw the "Bullshit" flag on you.

Well, I decided to get proactive on you. Here, direct from the WMO's own website: http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/tcp/Storm-naming.html

The requirements for naming a storm have NOT changed. You DO seem to be thinking of The Weather Channel's habit of giving winter storms hashtag names (I guess). So... I'm going to have to say: BULLSHIT.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back