PA Electoral College Plan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeB131, Oct 10, 2011.

1. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,995
  2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I think they should split electoral votes...

well, i actually don't think there should be an electoral college anymore. it was a way for small states to vote land, because they lacked people. and i've never understood why someone in north dakota's vote should be worth more than mine.

3. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,472
    If we moved to a popular vote system, then the elections would be dominated by urban areas and nobody would pay attention to rural Americans. Clearly, rural Americans have much different concerns than us urbanites and this helps equal out the influence somewhat. Whether or not this is fair is a matter of opinion. In the history of the EC, only four presidents have lost the popular vote and still won, so it's not something that happens very often.

Regarding Pennsylvania, it's a bad idea, in my opinion. They will render themselves irrelevant in future presidential elections if they pass a plan to split their votes. The Republicans are being self-serving with this proposal because PA in recent history has gone Democratic in the presidential elections.

4. PeteEU

PeteEU VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Because chances are that the person in North Dakota have the correct political views.. you know, the planet is flat and Jesus rode on dinos type person... :eusa_whistle:

5. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,995
    My criticism of the electoral college is this -

1) It allows guys who LOSE the popular vote to win the election. This has happened 4 times- 1824, 1876, 1888 and 2000. That flies in the face of the notion of one person, one vote.

2) States like mine which are considered "safe" are ignored. I live in IL. No matter how bad things get for Obama, he's going to carry this state. Therefore, it will be more along the lines of "What election?" next year, as we will not see much of Obama or his GOP opponent.

3) Conversely, Swing States get inordinate attention.

4) It strangles the emergence of third parties. Our history is littled with failed third parties that lasted about one election cycle, and then whithered and died. The Reform Party was the last major one. Everyone complains about how the fringes and activists control the two main parties, but the best remedy for that is a third party, which the electoral college makes impossible.

The best case scenario for a third party is to toss an election into Congress, where the two parties will still get one of their own.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,995
    You mean the four times out of 56 elections. That's an 8% fail rate. Would you want to fly on a plane that crashed 8% of the time?

In the history of the EC, the four times the EC overrode the popular will, we've had pretty disasterous presidencies. Hayes sold out everything that was won in the Civil War, and we got 100 years of Jim Crow and segergation. Bush-43. Well, need I say more. I'm a Republican, and I think that guy was a disaster. (Thankfully for the GOP, Obama has been a bigger disaster, so we didn't go the way of the Whigs.)

Yes, the elections will be dominated by the Urban areas. THAT'S WHERE PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIVE!

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    i actually agree with you on all accounts. the EC served a purpose when the founders, patrician to the core, wanted to shield the country from the hoi polloi. that's why delegats can vote the way they want to. would they? i don't know. but it has no place in a modern government, imo.

8. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,220
    I said this ages ago....you should split the EC in a state along the popular vote.

9. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    What attention are they being paid now and how is the Electoral College responsible for it?

10. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Maybe we should just do away with popular presidential elections and have our state representatives nominate and elect the President. The Senate used to be a body that was elected that way until populist voting replaced it. Since the people cannot get good quality people elected as President maybe this would allow quality people to run.