Our Society -- Have We Lost Control?

Dec 2, 2011
SD
Forgive me if I get to rambling, but there's a lot I want to get off my chest. In recent years I've begun to take a keener interest in what's going on in our government. A majority of what bothers me started while I was still in high school. The biggest problem is that we as a society seem to now possess a narcistic type of attitude rather than being involved in the proper governing of our country.

Gas Prices -- During former president Carter's time in office, he deregulated the oil pricing/gas pricing and made the statement that we would see gas going over a $1 a gallon. This couldn't have been more prophetic!! In about six months gas prices did go over $1. Those who were involved in this special interest group made out quite well. (Look where we are now. ...and we, as a society are "allowing" it to happen!)

Congressional Salaries -- Somewhere around after President Reagan, Congress attempted to vote itself a 100% salary increase. The people said NO! They attempted 50%. The people said NO! Congress attempted 30%, and the people allowed it. Perhaps the citizenry never caught it, or allowed it, but Congress placed a rider on a bill for an additional 33%, and the bill was signed into law. 63%salary increase -- be nice if any of us ever got such an increase! There is also something out there I read that Congress has voted themselves an "automatic", annual COLA increase (Cost of Living Increase). What about their constituents? According to documentation, Congress may not take such action.

Former President Clinton -- I only have this to say.... not only did our elected officials fail to act concerning his unethical/immoral behavior while in the highest elected office in the nation, but we as a society seemed not to care and sat back while he simply walked away from the investigation unscathed. He still pulls a presidential salary even now out of office. (This is another item for discussion).

The War -- What in the world! A war we got ourselves involved in, and could have removed ourselves from once Osama bin Laden was killed. Is it the special interests groups pushing for war? Or is it our government putting its nose into issues it doesn't need to be involved in? Don't get me wrong, I was active duty on 9-11, and initially managed the increase in the security posture for the base I was stationed at. We need to take care of business, but after that it's no longer our business. What this war did was suck up every available resource and took it away from the defense of our country. That and the fact that we've lost so many young people. Take a look at headlines of the Army Times and Air Force Times. It reads something along the lines that the department of defense is going to cut troop levels by huge numbers. Who is going to defend our country? The militias??
And all of this is due to the fact that Congress can't come to a simple agreement on how to fix the deficit. I've got a couple of ideas on this as well.

On a somewhat sensitive subject: please take into consideration some alarming occurrences. Consider how our history books have changed to reflect what some "educators/politicians" want us to know. Propoganda. If anyone is near Christ Church, inspect the interior. Dr. K. Mallard spoke to our church and related that there were stain glass windows there depicting some historical scenes. There is now only clear glass there now. There was also a display of Betsy Ross and the first American flag. That display is supposed to have been removed and a plaque put up stating that Betsy Ross and the sewing of the first American flag is a legend. That's right, a legend. Take a look at some other sensitive and tantalizing aspects surrounding the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution, and you will find that much of the documented history is being re-interpreted by current so-called experts. Some being Supreme Court Justices from 1947 to the present. Since when do they make policy or have the ability to refute or challenge the "Original Intentions" (David Barton) of our Founding Fathers. Please read what Thomas Jefferson said to Benjamin Rush in a PRIVATE letter about others changing his intentions.

And in confiding it to you, I know it will not be exposed to the malignant perversions of those who make every word from me a text for new misrepresentations & calumnies. I am moreover averse to the communication of my religious tenets to the public; because it would countenance the presumption of those who have endeavored to draw them before that tribunal, and to seduce public opinion to erect itself into that inquisition over the rights of conscience, which the laws have so justly proscribed. (URL cannot be added at this time.) I hope to get back on soon. I just want to bring to light some issues that appear to have gotten put on the back burner and forgotten. The specifics/ documentation is there for anyone to verify. MY intent is not to anger, but discuss with you, without so much emotion that it clouds the senses. What I may put in the future is not a call to protest, but take pen in hand and assert ourselves.

This is only my first post. I just wanted to get it out where people could read it. Please provide critical feedback to make a good discussion. (I hear you, it was a lot at once).

Forgive me if I get to rambling, but there's a lot I want to get off my chest. In recent years I've begun to take a keener interest in what's going on in our government. A majority of what bothers me started while I was still in high school. The biggest problem is that we as a society seem to now possess a narcistic type of attitude rather than being involved in the proper governing of our country.

Gas Prices -- During former president Carter's time in office, he deregulated the oil pricing/gas pricing and made the statement that we would see gas going over a $1 a gallon. This couldn't have been more prophetic!! In about six months gas prices did go over $1. Those who were involved in this special interest group made out quite well. (Look where we are now. ...and we, as a society are "allowing" it to happen!)

Congressional Salaries -- Somewhere around after President Reagan, Congress attempted to vote itself a 100% salary increase. The people said NO! They attempted 50%. The people said NO! Congress attempted 30%, and the people allowed it. Perhaps the citizenry never caught it, or allowed it, but Congress placed a rider on a bill for an additional 33%, and the bill was signed into law. 63%salary increase -- be nice if any of us ever got such an increase! There is also something out there I read that Congress has voted themselves an "automatic", annual COLA increase (Cost of Living Increase). What about their constituents? According to documentation, Congress may not take such action.

Former President Clinton -- I only have this to say.... not only did our elected officials fail to act concerning his unethical/immoral behavior while in the highest elected office in the nation, but we as a society seemed not to care and sat back while he simply walked away from the investigation unscathed. He still pulls a presidential salary even now out of office. (This is another item for discussion).

The War -- What in the world! A war we got ourselves involved in, and could have removed ourselves from once Osama bin Laden was killed. Is it the special interests groups pushing for war? Or is it our government putting its nose into issues it doesn't need to be involved in? Don't get me wrong, I was active duty on 9-11, and initially managed the increase in the security posture for the base I was stationed at. We need to take care of business, but after that it's no longer our business. What this war did was suck up every available resource and took it away from the defense of our country. That and the fact that we've lost so many young people. Take a look at headlines of the Army Times and Air Force Times. It reads something along the lines that the department of defense is going to cut troop levels by huge numbers. Who is going to defend our country? The militias??
And all of this is due to the fact that Congress can't come to a simple agreement on how to fix the deficit. I've got a couple of ideas on this as well.

On a somewhat sensitive subject: please take into consideration some alarming occurrences. Consider how our history books have changed to reflect what some "educators/politicians" want us to know. Propoganda. If anyone is near Christ Church, inspect the interior. Dr. K. Mallard spoke to our church and related that there were stain glass windows there depicting some historical scenes. There is now only clear glass there now. There was also a display of Betsy Ross and the first American flag. That display is supposed to have been removed and a plaque put up stating that Betsy Ross and the sewing of the first American flag is a legend. That's right, a legend. Take a look at some other sensitive and tantalizing aspects surrounding the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution, and you will find that much of the documented history is being re-interpreted by current so-called experts. Some being Supreme Court Justices from 1947 to the present. Since when do they make policy or have the ability to refute or challenge the "Original Intentions" (David Barton) of our Founding Fathers. Please read what Thomas Jefferson said to Benjamin Rush in a PRIVATE letter about others changing his intentions.

And in confiding it to you, I know it will not be exposed to the malignant perversions of those who make every word from me a text for new misrepresentations & calumnies. I am moreover averse to the communication of my religious tenets to the public; because it would countenance the presumption of those who have endeavored to draw them before that tribunal, and to seduce public opinion to erect itself into that inquisition over the rights of conscience, which the laws have so justly proscribed. (URL cannot be added at this time.) I hope to get back on soon. I just want to bring to light some issues that appear to have gotten put on the back burner and forgotten. The specifics/ documentation is there for anyone to verify. MY intent is not to anger, but discuss with you, without so much emotion that it clouds the senses. What I may put in the future is not a call to protest, but take pen in hand and assert ourselves.

Gas Prices. Due to our increase demand and our diminishing production. Not Rocket Science.

President Clinton was Impeached by the House of Representative but the Senate Aquitted him on all charges. But that was for lying under Oath, not that he had a affair with Monica. I don't think having an affair is an impeachable offense.

The War. "Ancient History": U.S. Conduct in the Middle East Since World War II and the Folly of Intervention | Sheldon L. Richman | Cato Institute: Policy Analysis

On gas prices, our current gas prices are a result of greater demand. It is simple supply and demand economics. Quite true, not rocket science. Building new, state of the art refineries could very well help reduce these outrageous prices. However, it all originated with the phrasing used by Carter and his deregulation of the pricing.

Let me try and explain my position. I already stated my belief is that his conduct was both immoral and unethical -- especially for a person holding that office. Your reply is quite correct; but again, it goes back to what I stated in my opening para in the original post -- it seems we as a society care more about getting than giving. We care more about ourselves. It seems we don't care what our government is doing so long as we get something out of it. If we cared, we as a society would have influenced our elected officials to do the right thing; yet what happened -- in my eyes, it's just party politics.

From what I read of the article, very interesting. Thanks for the feedback.....

You premise assumes we have had control over society. There is no one who controls society. The only thing we truely have control over are our own actions.

You premise assumes we have had control over society. There is no one who controls society. The only thing we truely have control over are our own actions.

The Constitution says for, of and by the people. This means that each individual can, and when they act/vote, they do in fact, exert their control to the collective control to influence our elected officials. In reading your post, excuse me, but abstract philosophizing or touting we are nothing but individuals with no span of control, makes me realize there are those in our country that have no motiviation or have lost their motivation to be involved in the success or failure of their government. :doubt:

Forum List

Back