OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM IS NOT BROKEN. Cont;

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM IS NOT BROKEN.Cont;

Just because we allowed 11 million people to enter the country illegally and allowed them to stay and to not enforce our immigration laws which allows deportation does not mean our immigration system is broken. If, after the 1986 amnesty, we had enforced our immigration law and secured the border and monitored visa over stayers and went after businesses that hire illegal alien cheap labor we would not have 11 million here illegally, but could have allowed 11 million in legally.

“Our immigration system is broken” is just an excuse for Comp. Immig. Reform Amnesty to cover the butts of incompetent leaders since 1986.

If we allow another amnesty for 11 million today, 20 years from now we will be doing another Comp. Immig. Reform Amnesty for 11 million more. Because Comp. Immig. Reform is not about enforcement and border security but only about amnesty. A repeat of 1986 amnesty.

Obama deported 400,000 last year but I would bet most of them are back here already living among those Obama will not allow to be deported.

What is really broken is our government. We cannot fix our broken immigration system until we have fix our broken government.

H-1B visa reform to break open doors to the US for foreigners with key technology skills...
:cool:
Silicon Valley’s future is tied to immigrant hopes
Mon, Feb 18, 2013 - Silicon Valley’s long crusade to break open doors to the US for foreigners with key technology skills hinges on a political battle in Washington over broader immigration reform.
For more than a decade, the technology sector has been struggling to get more visas and green cards for immigrants with engineering, math or science skills. While Silicon Valley has been largely backing reform-minded Democratic candidates, including US President Barack Obama, Republicans have begun paying attention to broader immigration reform, an issue dear to US Latinos. “The election happened and the Republicans took a shellacking from Hispanics,” said Robert Atkinson, president of the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation think tank in Washington. “It was a wake-up call,” he said. “A comprehensive approach to immigration reform became viable.”

The new political landscape hobbled efforts to push through stand-alone legislation focused just on high-skilled workers. Stanford University fellow and Singularity University vice president Vivek Wadhwa champions science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) immigration. “Who is behind the US tech boom right now? Immigrants,” Wadhwa said. “Just as the US is reinventing itself with a whole range of technologies we are cutting off the circulation in Silicon Valley.”

A Republican-backed US House of Representatives bill to expand visas for foreigners graduating from US universities with advanced degrees in science and technology was killed in the Senate by Democrats in the name of broader immigration reform. “We need visas and a new-and-improved immigration arrangement for Silicon Valley and the high-tech sector, but the only way we will win reform is to fight for top-to-bottom overhaul of our immigration system,” Democratic Representative Luis Gutierrez said in an editorial on technology news Web site TechCrunch. Gutierrez is chairman of the US Immigration Task Force of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and was responding to comments by Wadhwa, who testified in Washington this month.

Wadhwa says the two issues are separate. “Providing citizenship to people who jumped over the border is contentious; it’s toxic,” Wadhwa said. “In the meantime you are holding hostage the legal, skilled immigrants — scientists, engineers, doctors — who the whole world wants.” A stand-alone reform bill by Republican Senator Orrin Hatch would raise the annual cap on H-1B visas to 115,000 from 65,000 and pump the money into STEM education in the US.

Now, analysts say lawmakers appear to be looking at a comprehensive measure that deals with high-skilled workers and the millions of undocumented aliens. “Because our immigration system needs fixing top to bottom, fixing it all at once is the right way to approach things,” Gutierrez said. The strategy could succeed with the help of Silicon Valley firms that believe the only way to get the immigration changes dear to them is to back an overhaul of the system. The fact that this is not an election year lends hope for support from legislators who might otherwise view immigration reform as politically risky.

Silicon Valley?s future is tied to immigrant hopes - Taipei Times

Granny says, "Dat's right - if dey don't seal the border, dey ain't gonna have any immigration control...
:eek:
Mexican border key to US reform on immigration
Mon, Mar 04, 2013 - Immigration reform is one of US President Barack Obama’s priorities for his second term, but for a wide-reaching package to pass, lawmakers need to be convinced that the border with Mexico is secure, and this will be no easy sell.
Apprehensions of undocumented aliens at the frontier have dropped 50 percent since 2008, falling to 365,000 people last year, which the Obama administration cites as evidence that border security measures work. Deportations of aliens without residency permits, particularly those with criminal records — a key government goal — stand at about 400,000 a year.

However, the investigative arm of US Congress, the Government Accountability Office, dampened the government’s optimism one week ago with a report submitted to the US House of Representatives. The report said that the number of apprehensions at the US-Mexico border “provides some useful information, but does not position the department to be able to report on how effective its efforts are at securing the border.” “The Border Patrol is in the process of developing goals and measures; however, it has not yet set target timeframes and milestones for completing its efforts,” it added.

Marc Rosenblum, an immigration policy expert with the Congressional Research Service, said that “the size and diversity of the US border mean that no single, quantitative, off-the-shelf indicator accurately and reliably provides a metric or a ‘score’ for border enforcement.” Another report found that southern US cities — in particular El Paso, Texas — just across the border from violence-plagued Ciudad Juarez, are the safest in the country, with constantly dropping rates of all types of crime. That study was based on FBI figures.

So far, the Republicans, who control the House, have been adamant that they will not approve major immigration reform until they are convinced the border is secure. US authorities estimate there are 11.5 million illegal aliens in the US, most of them Mexican and Central American, though the flow from Mexico has practically dried up. US Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano says a 100 percent secure border is impossible and now she has to deal with her slice of the so-called sequester, or deep cuts in public spending, which means her funding will be slashed by an amount equivalent to the salaries of 5,000 border agents.

MORE

I have become so cynical of the American political system. I just don't know who this system represents anymore. Illegal aliens get amnesty , corrupt wall street investors and BP execs avoid jail whilst the NRA exploits the second amendment beyond reason. Makes me so sad for this country. We are lost, I am afraid.

I have become so cynical of the American political system. I just don't know who this system represents anymore. Illegal aliens get amnesty , corrupt wall street investors and BP execs avoid jail whilst the NRA exploits the second amendment beyond reason. Makes me so sad for this country. We are lost, I am afraid.

In 50 years when America is still a superpower and doing fine people will be saying the same thing.

Being a superpower is not important. And America won't be much in 50 years, judging by the present. We have forgotten our roots, and I am not sure were any of this is going, anyway. I live next to illegal aliens that demand respect from ME, never mind they don't respect me or respect American culture. Heaven forbid we EXPECT them to respect America, that would be "wrong". This is the direction we are going in kid, we have this liberal favoritism towards people that can't respect American law or culture. We were there YESTERDAY. That's why Obama got elected. Twice already!

Last edited:
I'd say both, by the time you fix the immigration system you will also fix all that is wrong with govt from the prisons/healthcare/education to sustainable jobs and economy.

See summary of collaborative proposal:
Earned Amnesty
to solve multiple problems with one solution!

OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM IS NOT BROKEN.Cont;

Just because we allowed 11 million people to enter the country illegally and allowed them to stay and to not enforce our immigration laws which allows deportation does not mean our immigration system is broken. If, after the 1986 amnesty, we had enforced our immigration law and secured the border and monitored visa over stayers and went after businesses that hire illegal alien cheap labor we would not have 11 million here illegally, but could have allowed 11 million in legally.

“Our immigration system is broken” is just an excuse for Comp. Immig. Reform Amnesty to cover the butts of incompetent leaders since 1986.

If we allow another amnesty for 11 million today, 20 years from now we will be doing another Comp. Immig. Reform Amnesty for 11 million more. Because Comp. Immig. Reform is not about enforcement and border security but only about amnesty. A repeat of 1986 amnesty.

Obama deported 400,000 last year but I would bet most of them are back here already living among those Obama will not allow to be deported.

What is really broken is our government. We cannot fix our broken immigration system until we have fix our broken government.

Forum List

Back