Our friends the PoPo...

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I'm not sure exactly what circumstances would warrant holding the guy down and kicking him.....

15 Philly officers taken off street after videotaped beating By PATRICK WALTERS, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - Fifteen police officers were taken off the street as authorities investigate a video showing three suspects being kicked, punched and beaten after they were pulled out of a car during a traffic stop.

ADVERTISEMENT

"At a glance it does appear to be a bit beyond the pale," Doug Oliver, a spokesman for Mayor Michael Nutter, said Wednesday. "Officers are not allowed to operate outside of the law."

The police department identified the 15 officers who were involved in Monday night's arrests in the city's Hunting Park section, where police had been investigating a triple shooting, Oliver said.

The three suspects were charged with criminal conspiracy, aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, according to court officials.

The video, shot by a WTXF-TV helicopter, shows three police cars stopping a car on the side of a road. About a dozen officers gather around the vehicle and pull three men out. About a half-dozen officers hold two of the men on the ground on the driver's side. Both are kicked repeatedly, while one is seen being punched; one also appears to be struck with a baton.

On the other side of the car, another group of officers can be seen kicking a third man who ends up on the ground.

Oliver said that, while the use of force appeared excessive, the public should withhold judgment until all the facts are known.

"We are not going to prejudge the situation based on the video," he said. "We all saw the video, but none of us was there."

The beating happened two days after the fatal shooting of a Philadelphia policeman, the third city officer slain on duty in two years.

Officer Stephen Liczbinski was shot with an assault rifle after a robbery in the city's Port Richmond section on Saturday. One man was fatally shot by police after the shooting, another was arrested Sunday and a third remains on the lam.

I've used force many, many times. I've used batons, handcuffs and fists. I've drawn and pointed a firearm a very, very few times (never fired it in anger thankfully) and I've worked in some bloody rough outback towns but I've never, ever put the slipper in. Short of kicking a bloke who's about to shoot you there's just no way I can think of justifying it. I saw the video. I know I only saw a few seconds of video and there might be more to it and all the rest of the usual stuff but what I saw was simply not justifiable.

I'm not sure exactly what circumstances would warrant holding the guy down and kicking him.....

15 Philly officers taken off street after videotaped beating By PATRICK WALTERS, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - Fifteen police officers were taken off the street as authorities investigate a video showing three suspects being kicked, punched and beaten after they were pulled out of a car during a traffic stop.

ADVERTISEMENT

"At a glance it does appear to be a bit beyond the pale," Doug Oliver, a spokesman for Mayor Michael Nutter, said Wednesday. "Officers are not allowed to operate outside of the law."

The police department identified the 15 officers who were involved in Monday night's arrests in the city's Hunting Park section, where police had been investigating a triple shooting, Oliver said.

The three suspects were charged with criminal conspiracy, aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, according to court officials.

The video, shot by a WTXF-TV helicopter, shows three police cars stopping a car on the side of a road. About a dozen officers gather around the vehicle and pull three men out. About a half-dozen officers hold two of the men on the ground on the driver's side. Both are kicked repeatedly, while one is seen being punched; one also appears to be struck with a baton.

On the other side of the car, another group of officers can be seen kicking a third man who ends up on the ground.

Oliver said that, while the use of force appeared excessive, the public should withhold judgment until all the facts are known.

"We are not going to prejudge the situation based on the video," he said. "We all saw the video, but none of us was there."

The beating happened two days after the fatal shooting of a Philadelphia policeman, the third city officer slain on duty in two years.

Officer Stephen Liczbinski was shot with an assault rifle after a robbery in the city's Port Richmond section on Saturday. One man was fatally shot by police after the shooting, another was arrested Sunday and a third remains on the lam.

Provide a link please, Allie.

I've used force many, many times. I've used batons, handcuffs and fists. I've drawn and pointed a firearm a very, very few times (never fired it in anger thankfully) and I've worked in some bloody rough outback towns but I've never, ever put the slipper in. Short of kicking a bloke who's about to shoot you there's just no way I can think of justifying it. I saw the video. I know I only saw a few seconds of video and there might be more to it and all the rest of the usual stuff but what I saw was simply not justifiable.

I understand your POV. At the same time, a lot of cops are bullies. I can't even watch "Cops" on tv. It makes me want to go kick the crap of some police. They taunt and goad suspects and use excessive force.

In one episode in particular a cop taunted this one guy until the guy finally did attack him then the cop and his two buddies beat the guy up some more as Mr Redneck stands proudly over the guy beatin ghis chest talking more macho-BS as if he handled an already-handcuffed suspect on his own.

There's no call for that kind of crap.

I understand your POV. At the same time, a lot of cops are bullies. I can't even watch "Cops" on tv. It makes me want to go kick the crap of some police. They taunt and goad suspects and use excessive force.

In one episode in particular a cop taunted this one guy until the guy finally did attack him then the cop and his two buddies beat the guy up some more as Mr Redneck stands proudly over the guy beatin ghis chest talking more macho-BS as if he handled an already-handcuffed suspect on his own.

There's no call for that kind of crap.

When "Cops" first came here I was in a training position. I couldn't stop the (recruit level) trainees watching it but I counselled them about the show ponies, black glove types (think sap gloves) and general dickheads who played up to the camera. At times I thought I may as well address it head on and we discussed what they'd watched (this was pre-general internet access and certainly well before YouTube and the like). I thought rather than ignore it I should watch it and then talk to them about my views. Perhaps it was useful, I don't know.

In my experience not a lot of cops are bullies. Some are of course. And again in my experience most cops don't like working with that type (aside from issues of professionalism who the hell wants a standing appointment with internal investigations?).

My take on this incident. Cop killed not long before. Angry Philadelphia cops (who have a tough rep anyway) ready to hype up their response because of that anger. But - that is absolutely no excuse, none whatsoever. They deserve what's coming to them, they shame us all.

I would think that like most groups, a small percentage can give the whole group a bad name.

I have met several cops who after being on the force for a while don't trust anyone and suspect everyone. Even in a social setting, I felt like I was being evaluated for any possible crimes.

Can't be easy. Working with crap all day would give you a skewed perespective of the general population.

What you're seeing is 3 more black millionaires being created...courtesy or Pennsylvania taxpayers.....

What you're seeing is 3 more black millionaires being created...courtesy or Pennsylvania taxpayers.....

And their color is relevant how????

And their color is relevant how????

lol...Their color isn't relevant, its standard information because thats what color they are....black....
You don't have a problem with calling black people, black people do you....?

Or is it black millionaires that trouble you ? :cuckoo:

Or are you just a race baiter ?

lol...Their color isn't relevant, its standard information because thats what color they are....black....
You don't have a problem with calling black people, black people do you....?

Or is it black millionaires that trouble you ? :cuckoo:

Or are you just a race baiter ?

You able to keep a straight face when you're that disingenuous?

You able to keep a straight face when you're that disingenuous?

Probably the fault of this racist news station WCBS TV that mentioned it....

------------------------
http://wcbstv.com/local/al.sharpton.police.2.719317.html

The Rev. Al Sharpton called a videotaped police beating of three shooting suspects in Philadelphia "worse than Rodney King," prompting the city's police commissioner to chide anyone "fanning flames ... from afar."

The civil rights activist made the comments Thursday as he interviewed the mother of one of the suspects on his radio show.

Thirteen police officers have been taken off street duty as police investigate the television news footage, according to Lt. Frank Vanore, a police spokesman. The video shows officers kicking, punching and beating the three black men during a traffic stop Monday.
------------------------

Don't know why they see it as relevant to say "three black men"...\\:cuckoo:

H A C K

Amen, I thought I was watching that Chris Rock video about how not to get beat by the police. What the hell was up with that?

Of course Al couldn't wait to get his two cents in. Probably there trying to get some of the money these guys are going to get.

When "Cops" first came here I was in a training position. I couldn't stop the (recruit level) trainees watching it but I counselled them about the show ponies, black glove types (think sap gloves) and general dickheads who played up to the camera. At times I thought I may as well address it head on and we discussed what they'd watched (this was pre-general internet access and certainly well before YouTube and the like). I thought rather than ignore it I should watch it and then talk to them about my views. Perhaps it was useful, I don't know.

In my experience not a lot of cops are bullies. Some are of course. And again in my experience most cops don't like working with that type (aside from issues of professionalism who the hell wants a standing appointment with internal investigations?).

My take on this incident. Cop killed not long before. Angry Philadelphia cops (who have a tough rep anyway) ready to hype up their response because of that anger. But - that is absolutely no excuse, none whatsoever. They deserve what's coming to them, they shame us all.

I didn't mean to imply all cops were bullies. I have several as friends/acquaintances. It's a thankless job. I understand that. Just commenting on those that are.

The Philly cops should have known better. Agreed there is no excuse for their behavior.

Forum List

Back