Opposition to Gay Adoption is “Bullying”

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A Wisconsin high school is in the middle of a free speech debate after they apologized for publishing a student essay opposing gay families who adopt children. School officials called the essay a form of “bullying and disrespect.”

The column ran on the editorial page of the Shawano High School student newspaper. It was part of an op-ed featuring a student supporting gay families who adopt children and one opposed to the idea.

The student who opposed gay adoptions cited Bible passages that called homosexuality and sin punishable by death.

“If one is a practicing Christian, Jesus states in the Bible that homosexuality is (a) detestable act and sin which makes adopting wrong for homosexuals because you would be raising the child in a sin-filled environment,” the student wrote.

The school district profusely apologized after a gay couple – who has a child at the school – complained.

School: Opposition to Gay Adoption is

It sounds like this student went a bit overboard with his essay, but I do believe that a school newspaper should have opposing viewpoints.

Schools will have to be very careful not to address ANYTHING controversial, unless of course they are expressing the "right" position. "Bullying" is the new buzzword for censorship.

Comments?

That's one way to shut the opposition up. :lol:

Schools really need to grow a fucking spine and start standing up for freedom of speech.

They used to, but "bullying" now trumps all free speech - even on the internet FROM HOME.

When I taught 11th grade, I spent a lot of time on persuasive writing, which is half of the writing section on the state test. I would have the students generate controversial topics and ask them to write both pro and con positions. Thank goodness I don't teach that anymore.

I know of a few outstanding Social Studies teachers who have the students debate controversial topics. I guess that will be a "no no" in the near future.

BTW - NJ's bullying law applies to state colleges as well. :evil:

A Wisconsin high school is in the middle of a free speech debate after they apologized for publishing a student essay opposing gay families who adopt children. School officials called the essay a form of “bullying and disrespect.”

The column ran on the editorial page of the Shawano High School student newspaper. It was part of an op-ed featuring a student supporting gay families who adopt children and one opposed to the idea.

The student who opposed gay adoptions cited Bible passages that called homosexuality and sin punishable by death.

“If one is a practicing Christian, Jesus states in the Bible that homosexuality is (a) detestable act and sin which makes adopting wrong for homosexuals because you would be raising the child in a sin-filled environment,” the student wrote.

The school district profusely apologized after a gay couple – who has a child at the school – complained.

It sounds like this student went a bit overboard with his essay, but I do believe that a school newspaper should have opposing viewpoints.

Schools will have to be very careful not to address ANYTHING controversial, unless of course they are expressing the "right" position. "Bullying" is the new buzzword for censorship.

Comments?
It is bullying. And btw, Jesus never mentioned homosexuality as the author claimed.

Hopefully he got an F.

Comments?
It is bullying. And btw, Jesus never mentioned homosexuality as the author claimed.

Hopefully he got an F.

Having an opinion is now bullying?

Holy crap. This country is in serious trouble. Kiss goodbye to democracy.

FYI: The paper ran two arguments, one pro and one against gay adoption. How the fuck that becomes 'bullying' is beyond logical comprehension.

Everyone who disagrees with me is an extremist. See how ludicrous that statement is? Well, so is calling an opposing opinion 'bullying'.

Last edited:
Punishable by death. Enough said.

If you can't make your argument without resorting to those tactics then your intent is to bully. Not sure if you've noticed, but in this country being gay is not a crime.

Punishable by death. Enough said.

If you can't make your argument without resorting to those tactics then your intent is to bully. Not sure if you've noticed, but in this country being gay is not a crime.

Quoted a bible verse is not necessarily arguing that gay adoption should be punishable by death.

It just isn't.

Bullshit.

No, it isn't. Since we have only the article about the OpEd and not the actual OpEd itself, I suggest that there is not enough factual information to draw a solid conclusion. However, quoting a bible verse does not equate to supporting the 'punishable by death' thing.

Sounds like a whole load of overly sensitive whining to me.

Comments?

They have pro and con on a subject and then they say the con is bullying and disrespectful??? Why even have the subject and pros or cons on it in the first place?

Something is wrong with that newletter editor.

Comments?

They have pro and con on a subject and then they say the con is bullying and disrespectful??? Why even have the subject and pros or cons on it in the first place?

Something is wrong with that newletter editor.

Sums it up pretty well for me.

Comments?

Hopefully he got an F.

why isn't a pro-gay adoption stance bullying?

Comments?

Hopefully he got an F.

why isn't a pro-gay adoption stance bullying?

In this case because as far as we know no argument was made to make it mandatory or to punish people that opposed it.

Just so we are clear, Homosexuality if PRACTICED is a sin in the Christian religion. It is mentioned in the Bible as such and one of the punishments in the old Testament is death. Providing that quote is NOT bullying, it is providing a quote from an accepted medium.

I personally do not believe that the Government can discriminate on adoption to gay couples or even single gays if the practice is in fact not illegal. The State Agencies must follow established guide lines for suitability but the question of sexual preference or requiring 2 parents of different sexes is not appropriate. My personal opinion is that the Law must be uniform and reasonable.

Comments?

if one is a practicing christian, one knows that jesus never said a word about homosexuality.

New Topics

Forum List

Back