College presidents making ridiculous salries, do they deserve them?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Quantum Windbag, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I have to admit this is a grudge thread, but I really do think it is getting ridiculous, why do college presidents need million dollar salaries and all the other perks they get?

The 10 Highest Paid Private College Presidents: Chronicle Of Higher Education List

$4,912,217 a year for Drexel University? Seriously? Drexel?

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Let's just look at Drexel since right now Drexel seems currently to have the highest paid President.

Drexel has 22,500 students paying a tuition and fees of abut $35,000 each. ($787,500,000 in student tuitions and fees annually)

Room and board is about $13,000 and about 27% of the students live in student housing. 22500 x /27 x 13,000 = $78,975,000)

It has an endowment of $427,023,000

It has a staff to student ratio of about 10-1.

So... if one looks at the complexity of modern universities and one compares the complexity of overseeing that kind of operation, one might very well ask oneself is in fact University presentes are paid enough?

Consider that they manage multiple colleges, with all the tasks associated with education; a significant real estate business; a food services to feed all those folks; multiple locations worldwide where students go; and in Drexels case a huge JOB PLACEMENT system to accomodate the work studies that the kids go into, too

Compare the complexity of running a university to the complexity of running many industries and you'll quickly discover that the university management is much more complex, requires much more finesse AND political machinating.

ARe university presidents being paid huge somes compared to other CEOs?

Give the tasks they have?

I don't really think so.

3. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Hell yeah they earned it. every damn penny they could bilk out of the government grant and loan system is well earned.

That's all 100% profit. They get to keep the grants and loans whether of not the kid finishes. They get paid for an empty seat.

And liberals wonder why people can't work their way through anymore. pfft, fucking colleges don't need petty cash coming in when the kid can afford it.

4. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,004
    College is big business now, Republicans should love them making outrageous salaries.

5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,413
    Educational institutions encompassing kindergarten to PhD programs are fraught with cronyism, favoritism, nepotism, mismanagement, abuse, fraud, waste, and incompetence. It's a world unto itself.

6. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    What do they produce that is worth that much money? Can you give me a list of Drexel graduates that have gone on to be President of the US? Governor of a state? Head of a multinational NGO that combats disease and/or famine? If that is too difficult, give me a list of Drexel alumni who have made a world shattering discovery in science or medicine. What the fuck have Drexel students contributed at all, it sounds like a great place to be a student, but I never heard of it before.

How can you argue CEOs are overpaid and then argue that college presidents are underpaid.

7. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Good thing I am not a Republican, I get to complain when I think people make too much. Not being a Democrat I also get to complain when people want to steal other people's money. The best of both worlds, you should try it.

8. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,484
    My son graduated from Drexel and they have a good school with an outstanding co-op program. Facilities are in downtown Philadelphia and are not spectacular

The costs of attending a university are out of hand. Escalating salaries of Presidents and coaches do nothing to improve the quality of education. These presidents do nothing of the complexity or overarching impact of a major CEO.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I think most CEOs who get massive salaries/benefit packages are over paid, I also think it not the government's concern as long as they pay their taxes. I feel the same way about college presidents and, since you brought them up, coaches. I think any college that wants to compete salary wise with a business has its priorities wrong, and would not want my children going to one of them. High slaries drive up the cost of education, and the cost of products in business.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Kean College prez will make $500K next year. It's a shame that he couldn't afford a resume service.

Kean president says resume errors were made by university staff | NJ.com