One-Third of Americans Believe in UFOs, Survey Says

Magical thinking is an American trait, so this stat truly does not surprise me.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

The only problem is the distances involved.

I agree, Joe.

For all I know this earth is run by aliens.

But I do not believe it, because I find no evidence to support that possibility.

I do not know a single credible person who has ever seen an alien.

Of course I DO know people who claim they have. (my mother for example..lovely person, but a serious magical thinker in every respect, too)

But in every other way, these people prove to be incredible, so OF COURSE the aliens chose to visit THEM.

I saw something thrity year ago that makes me question that they are fantasy

I saw something thrity year ago that makes me question that they are fantasy

Me too. On the other hand, it doesn't necessarily mean I think they're from another planet.

For instance, every time the subject comes up, I'm reminded of the swarm of UFO sightings over southeastern Colorado back in the 70's and early 80's. That region is pretty remote and virtually empty, so it's long been used for low-level and electronic bombing training missions by the Air Force. Back during that time, numerous reports came out of there about black, wedge shaped objects flying around in the dark. Of course, now that we know of the existence of the F-117 stealth fighter and B-2 bomber, it's not too hard to figure out what those things were. Those aircraft were either in development or in the active inventory long before their existence was publicly admitted.

So...here's the thing. If they allow us to see the F-117 and B-2, you can bet your last dollar they're already obsolete and have been replaced by something else we know little or nothing about. There's a good chance that modern-day UFO sightings are related to that.

Last edited:
Magical thinking is an American trait, so this stat truly does not surprise me.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

The only problem is the distances involved.

I agree, Joe.

For all I know this earth is run by aliens.

But I do not believe it, because I find no evidence to support that possibility.

I do not know a single credible person who has ever seen an alien.

Of course I DO know people who claim they have. (my mother for example..lovely person, but a serious magical thinker in every respect, too)

But in every other way, these people prove to be incredible, so OF COURSE the aliens chose to visit THEM.

I made a pretty thorough study of the UFO phenomenon back in the early oughts. ( I was writing a story about the history of UFO's seen from the alien point of view.) The conclusion I came to is that most aliens people see are what Hollywood tells them to see.

When "The Day The Earth Stood Still" had Klaatu being Space Jesus, people were seeing benevolent space brothers and malevolent Men in Black.

When "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" had big headed aliens, people started seeing Grays sticking stuff up their asses.

that said, there are some UFO sightings by credible witnesses that really do defy easy explanation.

Forum List

Back