One shot at California high school

But, schools are gun-free zones....

So, how did THAT happen, there are laws in place, ya know.

So, do you have a thoughtful comment or do you believe being glib is an appropriate response to what happened?
Let's see: Schools are gun free zones - a law to keep guns out of schools.

Yet, there was a gun in a school. Should we have another law that says, no we're serious...no guns are allowed in schools?

What else is there?

Herein is the idea behind Gun Free (and Drug Free) Zones. Feel free to disagree, but the professionals feel such policies are effective:

Strategy: Gun-Free School Zones — National Crime Prevention Council

:rolleyes:

It is a valid question. Where did a 16 year old get a gun?

What makes you think he didn't own it himself? I owned a rifle at 12.
Maybe he did own it himself. If he did, he shouldn't have as apparently he has some anger and/or mental issues.

But that didn't answer my question.

I speculated because I don't know. Do you?

I suppose I could have said he got it from AG Holder's gun running scheme, but I tried to be reasonable.

So, do you have a thoughtful comment or do you believe being glib is an appropriate response to what happened?

Do YOU have a viable solution? I mean something that will keep guns away from criminals and crazies, but not infringe on my rights.

Yet, there was a gun in a school. Should we have another law that says, no we're serious...no guns are allowed in schools?

What else is there?

That's kind of silly. Gun free means students/parents/etc. aren't allowed to bring guns to school and if they are caught with one they will be punished, as they should be. Not everyone that owns a gun is a nutter, remember? It doesn't mean the cops/guards/etc. won't have them.

What makes you think he didn't own it himself? I owned a rifle at 12.
Maybe he did own it himself. If he did, he shouldn't have as apparently he has some anger and/or mental issues.

But that didn't answer my question.

I speculated because I don't know. Do you?

I suppose I could have said he got it from AG Holder's gun running scheme, but I tried to be reasonable.

If I knew I wouldn't have asked.

What else is there?

That's kind of silly. Gun free means students/parents/etc. aren't allowed to bring guns to school and if they are caught with one they will be punished, as they should be. Not everyone that owns a gun is a nutter, remember? It doesn't mean the cops/guards/etc. won't have them.
Yeah, I know.

My point is, the existence of laws don't stop folks from doing criminal acts. More laws won't stop them, either.

What else is there?

Herein is the idea behind Gun Free (and Drug Free) Zones. Feel free to disagree, but the professionals feel such policies are effective:

Strategy: Gun-Free School Zones — National Crime Prevention Council

A 20 year old article? Really! The problem with gun free zones is that there are no guns when you need them.

What else is there?

It doesn't mean a 20 year old social misfit with a desire to shoot up a first grade class won't have one either. When will you get it through your head that criminals and nut cases don't obey laws? When you turn a school into a "gun free zone" all you are doing is leaving the kids unprotected.

Do YOU have a viable solution? I mean something that will keep guns away from criminals and crazies, but not infringe on my rights.

I do, but you want like it. First, it's clear we cannot stop a lone gunman; it's not possible. So, when we elimianted the impossible we ought to accept what is possible. Doing nothing is one option, one I reject and you seem to support.

What I believe, and which I don't believe would infringe your rights is to allow each state to choose to license or not persons who want to own, possess or have in their custody and control a firearm. A background check and fee would be required and the license would need to be renewed for a smaller fee every 3 to 5 years. The license could be denied to some and suspended or revoked for cause (Crimes of violence, Domestic Violence, Felonies (Robbery, Burglary, Grant Theft Person, sales and transportion of drugs, DUI and any detention for being a danger to ones self or others) or the transfer in any form to an unlicensed person.

Would any of the infamous mass murders have been prevented from have the weapon they used to cause great harm? Can't know, but doing nothing seems a foolish 'plan'.

What else is there?

It does not mean trained LEO's are prohibited from being on campus with their service weapon.

What else is there?

It doesn't mean a 20 year old social misfit with a desire to shoot up a first grade class won't have one either. When will you get it through your head that criminals and nut cases don't obey laws? When you turn a school into a "gun free zone" all you are doing is leaving the kids unprotected.

I know they don't obey laws. But they still get guns and kill people. Are you really this stupid in real life?

What else is there?

It does not mean trained LEO's are prohibited from being on campus with their service weapon.
Correct. And it also doesn't mean there is a sign somewhere proclaiming "gun free zone". Nutters gotta nut, I guess.

580514_566573046689739_297042057_n_zps525b4358.jpg

Last edited:
Not do be glib but everyone is aware that gun laws and more gun control do not stop crazy people and bad people from doing what they want to do with guns, right? You are aware that good and sane people are not doing these shootings, right?

Just checking.

Now allegedly this kid felt bullied or was bullied. I often wonder if adult bullies raise kid bullies? Hmmm Are there any bullies here who want to give some insight? :tongue:

At the Tucson mass murder, an unarmed, middle aged woman got the gun away from Loughner while an armed man hid out in the Walgreens store.

At this shooting, an unarmed teacher talked the kid out of his gun.

What else is there?

Unless it can be guaranteed that the leo will be at the exact place where the shooter comes into a building, he's useless.

IOW, its useless to have an armed guard at a school.

It sure as hell didn't work at this school, or at VA Tech, Ft Hood and can't remember the others.

Nor will "Sheriff" Arpaio's posse of known criminals and pedophiles be much good for anything at all.

Forum List

Back