One of My Favorite Albums Gets a Makeover

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
This is impressive: This guy took the original 16-track recordings of Chicago II, (which those of us of a certain age recall as just "Chicago") digitized them, cleaned them up, remixed them using modern technology and released it all on CD today. So, it's the original origional, only clearer and more "present." It's like hearing it for the first time again.

Go find 25 or 6 to 4. When the horns come in on the intro, it'll set you back.

upload_2017-1-27_15-20-14.png

Colour My World: Steven Wilson Remix of "Chicago II" Due in January

I'm seeing more and more decent to excellent remixes these days, and some do indeed sound amazing, since the vast majority of pre-1980's stuff only exists on 1 and 2 track masters. I'm seeing more and more labels and artists re-producing their own 'oldies' compilations instead of just licensing crap companies to put out thin, low density garbage.

Even the classical labels have finally figured out you can put more than one microphone on the stage with an orchestra or opera and record multiple tracks at a time even on live performance recordings; why this is a fairly recent discovery for them is a mystery to me. The high density recordings still seem 'expensive', but adjusted for inflation their prices are easily in line with 1970's album prices, sometimes cheaper. Time for the music industry to stop making records based on how they sound on I-POD and other cheesy low end playback formats, like the early rock and roll and blues labels like Motown only cared how they sounded on crappy 1950's/1960's transistor and car radios and recorded for that market.

Nice! I can listen with Amazon Prime. Steve Wilson is a music genius in case some of you never heard of Purcupine Tree. And IMO the best producer of today. His live concert recordings sound better than most studio recordings. Then again he hires the best musicians. He also remixed and mastered Fragile by Yes, etc.

I am working on a vid showing visually the guitar chord voicings on this. The electric piano is great. But the released mix did not exploit the other sounds happening, too muffled sounding.

Did y'all see the Chicago documentary on CNN of all places recently. Very interesting. They toured at one time with Jimi Hendrix, so Terry Kath was learning from a master.

You can hear the Jumpin' Jack Flash vocal riff clearly on this version on the outro.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back