Once upon a time

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
America once sent men to the moon.

In the future, we’ll be paying the Russians $50 million to hitch a ride to the space station.

On Friday, America launched its last space shuttle mission, and with it, U.S. space program’s dominance seems to have come to an end.

For many of us who lived through the birth of the Apollo program, there is a feeling that something important has been lost.

Putting a man on the moon in the 1960s was the stuff of science fiction. But if man could dream it, we could do it. That was the American way.

Those days are over now. It sometimes seems we can’t do anything: Can’t end poverty. Improve public education. Or even figure out a way to put people to work. All of that stuff seemed important once.

Perhaps there are more important things this nation should be doing. In these difficult economic times, the cots of a space program does seem extravagant.

But I can’t help remembering the days when this nation dreamed big.

It might not have been Camelot, but even as our eyes were on the stars, people fought for civil rights, equal housing, affordable college tuitions, and dreamed of a day when even a black child could be president of the United States.

Unbelievable, some would have said.

Yes, like a man walking on the moon.

A nation that tries to find a vision on a balance sheet is going blind . . .

Once upon a time, America reached for the stars - Chicago Sun-Times

We should be leading the way in space exploration. We should have already sent a team to Mars or beyond. We have the technology to do this. We sent a ship to the moon in five years in the sixties. That ship had less technology than the cars that we drive around today.

Those days are over now. It sometimes seems we can’t do anything: Can’t end poverty. Improve public education. Or even figure out a way to put people to work. All of that stuff seemed important once.

The moon missions were a component of the Cold War, part of the strategy to defeat communism.

Now, if we truly believed we could defeat Al-Qaeda by eliminating poverty, educating our children, and bringing down unemployment, we might stand a chance accomplishing those things.

The moon missions were a component of the Cold War, part of the strategy to defeat communism.

Now, if we truly believed we could defeat Al-Qaeda by eliminating poverty, educating our children, and bringing down unemployment, we might stand a chance accomplishing those things.

Naah I don't think so.

We are too much centered on the blame game than buckeling down and doing what needs to be done.
Not my fault!

It's even more amazing that our federal government has created wars on drugs, poverty, started new depts ie doe, hs, and unlimited stimulus' to eliminate your aforementioned afflictions and all it has brought us is more misery and debt.

Last edited:
Our country is just like each of us are. When that big old credit card reaches the credit line we have to cut back on something. I probably won't charge a trip to Tahiti this year and mars is out for our country.

I would teleport people and materials up to the space station but the poor broke USA could not afford my rates.
And they would just want to use my teleportation device to deliver bombs.

The golden age of America has passed.
An unfortunate truth.

Ahhhhh, but it doesn't have to be that way. Too many people expecting handouts with no desire to work for a living will drive a country down. Just look at Roman history, we're following it.

It's even more amazing that our federal government has created wars on drugs, poverty, started new depts ie doe, hs, and unlimited stimulus' to eliminate your aforementioned afflictions and all it has brought us is more misery and debt.

That's the government way. If you create an organisation to "fight" something if it is victorious it gets closed, what bureaucrat wants to put themselves out of a job?

Don't worry, I'm sure the Hispanics who are taking over America will figure it out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Htt1iBja8]YouTube - ‪Mexico Launches its First Space Shuttle!‬‏[/ame]

Perhaps there are more important things this nation should be doing. In these difficult economic times, the cots of a space program does seem extravagant.

The space program has not ended. There's a huge amount of space exploration going on as we speak and there will continue to be going forward.

That type of exploration is nice but it is stagnant. Manned exploration is the only endeavor that drives technological development faster than war does. If you truly wanted to see this country climb out of its stagnation you would take the money from the DOD and put it into the space exploration program and let the good scientists run with it.

600 billion dollar spce telescope, manned missions to Mars. NASA has plans, but they are wanting private interprise to join, why, the next phase will be to find permanant stations to mine and explore.

If we could accomplish such a seeming impossible feat then, we should be able to agree on a plan to put our people back to work. After all, it's not rocket science.

I was around in the 60's and worked on the Apollo program for two years. I remember the day of the moon landing and America's feeling pride of accomplish, something we haven't felt since that day and something we desperately need today.

Watching Obama reign over the dismantling the US Space Program should be a Sputnik moment, a clarion call to rid the country of wasteful, thoughtless Progressive ideology

Interesting that we are posting on a medium and with hardware enabled by the space progeram and some are calling it a waste. Perhaps they are correct, for them at least.

According to Philip Corsi, fiber optics, superconductivity and microprocessors were all reverse engineered from pieces of the crashed Roswell ship

Forum List

Back