On the 'New and Improved' Immigration Bill

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, May 25, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think it's going to be interesting to hear what the Legislators hear from their consitutients during this recess:

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=MzY2ZTdiNjEyMDVjMGM1Yjk2ZjcxZjM5ZWRiNzE5Zjg=

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
  3. JeffWartman

JeffWartman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I think it's safe to say that neither party knows what they're doing on this issue.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Sure they do. They're ducking it like it's incoming 8" beehive rounds.

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    If they added one line...

That the amnesty doesn't go into effect until a disinterested party can certify that illegal immigration has dropped by, oh let's say... 95% or so... I think we might be able to come to a real agreement.

Nobody wants another repeat of 1986. Even Reagan thought that was his biggest mistake.

6. zadie be

zadie be Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think that anyone who come in this country illegal for any reason should be deported. If they want to come in this country they must apply and wait until they are allowed then come.

In America any American who harbors persons who committed illegal behavior gets in troble for harboring fugitives. So why is the government makeing excuses and harboring illegal immigrants. Why are they showing Americans that any other countries people can come to America and do as they please illegally and the governmemt will give them a rewards such as anmensty, guess worker, and change the language to Spanish. It is already hard to get a job in San Diego unless you can speak Spanish. The government is not saving America they are destroying it by not following the laws they were put in office to defend. I do not feel they are representing Americans just illegals. I feel my government has abandon us.

What are we to do just let them do this? Why are we not trying to protect the laws and values of America?

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Some interesting stuff going on with this topic. Lots of links:

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/g/ef266dd7-0686-44b1-bd29-27b5cd792bdb?comments=true#commentAnchor

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,927
    I WOULD break with the republicans over this single issue IF there were a party that actually wanted to do something about this.

The Border and illegals are a HUGE National Security threat. The total failure of both parties to be serious about sealing the borders AND the idiotic plan to simply legalize millions of illegal aliens is CRIMINAL.

Having no alternate though I will continue to vote on the other issues.

Hey Maineman? How about you and I get together and form a new party, one that has Moderates and reasonable right and left siders in it?

We could start a thread and hash out the planks of such a party.

9. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Democrats are the party of lesbians, Arab terrorists and black nationalists.

Republicans are the party of ultra-rich international businessmen and neocon Israel-firsters.

There is no party for the rest of us.

10. Edward

Edward Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +90
    First, it is impossible to completely seal the border and trying to do so is a HUGE national security problem because it doesn't address the root of the problem and actually excerbates the problem. You close the border and you will see more people trying to come into this country illegally for one reason or another which prevents our Border Security personnel from protecting the U.S. from those who would do us harm. It also means that we don't know who is in this country and why they are here. I see no reason not to legalize these immigrants because it ultimately provides us with a knowledge of who is here. The real question now is "are we going to know who is coming into this country from this point forward or are we going to try to seal the border and have millions of people in this country who we do not know are here."

Think of it this way, "if you have 12,000 border patrol agents responsible for border security and you have thousands and even millions of immigrants crossing the border then it would be easier for the one terrorist or ten terrorists to enter the country without us being aware of it whereas if you have an open border with designated points of entry allowing the free flow of persons between the countries with specific laws preventing people from other countries from taking advantage of us these border patrol agents can focus on those who intend us harm." Sealing the border is the problem, and it is not the solution. We need to know who is coming into this country and why they are coming here and that requires a more open border and ultimately a clearer naturalization policy. That is simply being in the country does not grant you citizenship.

That said, it makes far more sense to strengthen the naturalization process as opposed to the immigration process because we want people to enter the country legally instead of illegally so it will be easier to track them. Also, it will make it easier on Americans who have jobs as well by forcing those who work in this country and live in Mexico or live in this country and work in Mexico to pay property and income taxes to their respective states, and country. This may be hard for some people to accept but it ultimately will protect Americans, and protect our sovereignity as a nation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1