On Iraq War As A Mistake

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I have to keep reminding myself of this, nearly daily:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...icles/2006/10/22/if_we_had_known_then?mode=PF

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I believe now the same thing I did 15 years ago -- a belief that was held by Bush the Elder and most of the military minds at the time -- that leaving Saddam in power was the lesser of two evils.

That is not to say there were not plenty of legitimate reasons for removing him from power. There were.

Nor is it backing off support for keeping a semi-democracy in power in Iraq since we DID invade. I support dealing with the situation as it is NOW ... not a lot of what-iffery.

It is simply saying that had it been my decision, I would not have removed Saddam from power. IMO, his sitting right in the middle of Islam and keeping it off-balance outweighed any saber-rattling at us he was doing.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    That I can respect. Originally I thought the idea of 'democracy' in Iraq a nutty wish for. Then came the elections and I had hope for it. No more. Now I figure it will eventually become 3 states or another 'Tito' will be found. In any case, I do hope we will be able to establish a 'launching pad' from there, but not so sure of that.

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    We have flinched before: 1975 Vietnam, 1983 Beirut, 1993 Mogadishu. These political failures of resolve dishonored our military and emboldened our enemies. If we make the same mistake in Iraq, it will be catastrophic and signal to the world that America can be beaten with atrocities and acts of terror. If we lose our resolve in Iraq, we can be sure that terrorism will increase because we will have taught our enemies that, while no one can hope to cope with the American military on the battlefield, US political determination will "lose heart" and can be defeated. From there, we might as well mail it in.
    -

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Agreed. And related:

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/Transcript_Page.aspx?ContentGuid=d5084da3-8ba8-445d-97b2-931dab036691

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The idea of a Western-style democracy in Iraq IS a nutty thing to wish for. Arab society in general does not comprehend Western-style democracy. The best we could ever hope for is a bastardized Arab version. Wishing for anything more is improbable bordering on delusional.

On the military side, the religious/factional infighting was an anticipated result of removing Saddam. That's why it has boggled my mind from Day One that we did absolutely nothing to head it off at the pass. That's what happens when politicians get their little noses into a game they know nothing about, and base their decisions on political wishful thinking and appeasement rather than the reality on the ground.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    We already taught our enemies that, and that is what they are counting on. Ho Chi Minh used it as a weapon against us as effectively as if he had ICBMs. That he turned a Nation against itself internally was just gravy. These terrorists are using an identical strategy, and the morons around here aren't even smart enough to see it after having fallen for it before.

Anyone who doesn't see the ramped-up violence in Iraq as an attempt to sway the midterms in this country just ain't seeing.

8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I agree. The warhead contains images of atrocities and terrorism penetrating American living rooms, and the delivery vehicle is our own media. From what I have read, this is precisely what happened to kill American resolve in Vietnam.

9. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Neither the War of 1812 nor W.W.II bear any resemblance at all to the invasion of Iraq. Chimpy McPresident's decision to invade Iraq was one of choice, not necessity. And by every measure of any just war theory I have ever seen, it did not then, nor does it now, meet the criteria of just war.

10. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Saddam had WMDs. Saddam had ties to terror groups. Iraq is in the middle of the Middle East, terrorist breeding ground. We declared War on all Terror Groups and the regimes that harbored them in 2002. Sounds pretty cut and dry, bully. Only you and those that have the same learning disability as you cant seem to grasp the concept.