Ok- Time for the TRUTH about the Confederate Battle Flag

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Obviously all the diverse unity in Charleston was unacceptable for libs...so they went 120 miles inland to find a target. Im a bit of a history buff. WW2 particularly. But living in Charleston theres so much from 1600-present. A bit of truth to clear some fog.

The Confederate Battle Flag was NOT the flag of the Confederacy.

Flags of the Confederate States of America - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

It was a battle flag.

In the South...only 3% of whites owned slaves. Yet...hundreds of thousands of poor whites and non whites fought. Why? Well...that 3% owning slaves were the rich. And they also owned the newspapers (only media back then). So.....they controlled info. They brainwashed poor Southerners to think the Union troops were coming to steal land and resources and rape women. And General Sherman's "Total War" philosophy only helped fuel that.

Was the war about slavery? YES.
Did MOST Southern troops think that? NO.

It would be like sending todays military to fight a war to preserve Warren Buffetts mansion. They'd never do it....unless you tricked them into it.

So...they took up arms and fought. They THOUGHT the war was just....but were duped by rich men to fight for THEIR interests (sound familiar).

THE FLAG:

These Southern troops were poor and lacked equipment. Uniforms often included. So....there were many times that lines of Southern troops fired on each other from thick woods and swamps.

Friendly fire. So....to avoid that....a battle flag was used to identify Southern troops.

And THAT is what the flag means and represents to SOME....the noble poor Southern troops who THOUGHT they were defending a farm and family....but were being used by a wealthy slave owner based on false premises that were sold through newspapers.

Thats the truth. AND...its also true that racists have hijacked the flag and because of that...it cannot and should not be flown. Its no longer about the true meaning. Its the hijacked meaning.

But for those who dont get it...thats what the people who say they support the heritage of the flag are saying. Poor men who did NOT own slaves...being duped by the wealthy and sent to die. And that flag represented those men in battle. Thats all.

Brings up an interesting point. At military cemeteries the US flag is flown to show respect for the men who died to protect that flag. Should the confederate flag be flown where confederate soldiers are buried for the same purpose? They didn't fight for the US flag so flying it over their grave is kind of an insult. Think of a French flag flying over the graves of German WWII soldiers. Should a flag be flown for them at all since one could argue they were traitors?

I am taking no stand on the issues. I am just raising the question.

As a matter of fact....many Southern units of the military in WW1 and WW2 also took a Confederate BATTLE flag into Germany to war. To fight white Nazis.

Why? Poor Southern troops....going to war...for a cause rich people sold them on.

Now...obviously society and optics have changed.

I agree the flag needs to come off government property.

But please...at least know the truth.

I think that it's acceptable to put on the gravestones. If you say no, no, no, no then there is a backlash of sheer stupidity. If you say, but it's ok on the graves and for the reason stated then an appropriate setting has been provided.

Obviously all the diverse unity in Charleston was unacceptable for libs...so they went 120 miles inland to find a target. Im a bit of a history buff. WW2 particularly. But living in Charleston theres so much from 1600-present. A bit of truth to clear some fog.

It was a battle flag.

In the South...only 3% of whites owned slaves. Yet...hundreds of thousands of poor whites and non whites fought. Why? Well...that 3% owning slaves were the rich. And they also owned the newspapers (only media back then). So.....they controlled info. They brainwashed poor Southerners to think the Union troops were coming to steal land and resources and rape women. And General Sherman's "Total War" philosophy only helped fuel that.

It would be like sending todays military to fight a war to preserve Warren Buffetts mansion. They'd never do it....unless you tricked them into it.

So...they took up arms and fought. They THOUGHT the war was just....but were duped by rich men to fight for THEIR interests (sound familiar).

THE FLAG:

These Southern troops were poor and lacked equipment. Uniforms often included. So....there were many times that lines of Southern troops fired on each other from thick woods and swamps.

Friendly fire. So....to avoid that....a battle flag was used to identify Southern troops.

And THAT is what the flag means and represents to SOME....the noble poor Southern troops who THOUGHT they were defending a farm and family....but were being used by a wealthy slave owner based on false premises that were sold through newspapers.

Thats the truth. AND...its also true that racists have hijacked the flag and because of that...it cannot and should not be flown. Its no longer about the true meaning. Its the hijacked meaning.

But for those who dont get it...thats what the people who say they support the heritage of the flag are saying. Poor men who did NOT own slaves...being duped by the wealthy and sent to die. And that flag represented those men in battle. Thats all.
What that flag represents now is what the big deal is all about. It represents hate to both the bigots and those they persecute. Decent people want it gone. And so do the republicans, so they don't have to defend their bigoted base for the next 16 months.

Brings up an interesting point. At military cemeteries the US flag is flown to show respect for the men who died to protect that flag. Should the confederate flag be flown where confederate soldiers are buried for the same purpose? They didn't fight for the US flag so flying it over their grave is kind of an insult. Think of a French flag flying over the graves of German WWII soldiers. Should a flag be flown for them at all since one could argue they were traitors?

Interesting but I say no. They were fighting for what they thought was just to protect their homes and families.

The rich slave owners brajnwashed these troops. They truly thought the Northern army was an out of control rogue machine...like the Nazi army.

It wasnt of course. But you're a poor farmer in the South in 1861...where do you get ANY info? The newspaper. Which was owned...by the same 3% of wealthy men who owned all the slaves.

Ironically. ..that flag has as much to do with being used and lied to by the wealthy 3% as anything else.

It was a battle flag.

THE FLAG:

What that flag represents now is what the big deal is all about. It represents hate to both the bigots and those they persecute. Decent people want it gone. And so do the republicans, so they don't have to defend their bigoted base for the next 16 months.

That "bigoted base" was out by the thousands...in unity....people of all colors hugging and praying in Charleston. White and black. Police. BlackLivesMatter. Everyone united.

You mean that bigoted base? Thats why the left has targeted the flag.

Because that image in Charleston of total unity....in a gun loving red state...is a DISASTER for the left.

It was a battle flag.

THE FLAG:

Enjoyed the original "Dukes of Hazard" tv show. Was it racist?

Think too much significance is being given to the Confederate flag. There's a difference between a symbol uniquely created to signify racist ideology, and one co-opted and linked with it. Nazi's co-opted the swaztika, and their particular version is forever linked with racism and hate, but the original versions aren't. Just because the Confederate flag was for the opposing side doesn't mean it has anything specific to do with slavery or racism. Pleanty of symbols do no government official would consider suitable for use on a state building.

Face it....most of the leftist trash here couldn't name the Confederate states if their lives depended on it. They're victims of the public schools that teach no history...only "diversity". We're witnessing the rise of idiocy as a preferred state of being so it's not surprising they'd all start mewing about that old flag having to go. They have no solution for racism..... they're promoting it.

Interesting but I say no. They were fighting for what they thought was just to protect their homes and families.

The rich slave owners brajnwashed these troops. They truly thought the Northern army was an out of control rogue machine...like the Nazi army.

It wasnt of course. But you're a poor farmer in the South in 1861...where do you get ANY info? The newspaper. Which was owned...by the same 3% of wealthy men who owned all the slaves.

Ironically. ..that flag has as much to do with being used and lied to by the wealthy 3% as anything else.

I am still thinking about it, myself. I am torn between letting them fly the confederate flag over confederate graves or no flag at all. As for the capital in South Carolina, if it was within my power I would tell them that so long as they fly that flag they are identifying themselves as a foreign nation and I would treat them as such. Let's see how long they dig their heels in when their economy starts to go to shit because tourists need a passport to go there and their exportable goods all have to go through customs. They'll take it down in less than a week.

This is like telling people to stop disliking the nazi symbol because of its original creation.

No one cares, and no one cares what you think they should think.

Face it....most of the leftist trash here couldn't name the Confederate states if their lives depended on it. They're victims of the public schools that teach no history...only "diversity". We're witnessing the rise of idiocy as a preferred state of being so it's not surprising they'd all start mewing about that old flag having to go. They have no solution for racism..... they're promoting it.

Texas was one. If you learned nothing else from the "Twilight" movies...:)

As a matter of fact....many Southern units of the military in WW1 and WW2 also took a Confederate BATTLE flag into Germany to war. To fight white Nazis.

Why? Poor Southern troops....going to war...for a cause rich people sold them on.

Now...obviously society and optics have changed.

I agree the flag needs to come off government property.

But please...at least know the truth.

in both the civil war and wwii, the "poor southern troops" fought for nationalism.

nationalism is not "rich people" tricking them.

disagreeing with the reasons for a war(s) is one thing.

not feeling the motive others might have for fighting is one thing.

but just because they had different reasons than you does not make them fools.

if the us troops, southern and norther alike did not feel nationalism, europe would have been conquered by either nazis or communists, and post wwii history would have been a lot, lot less pleasant for everyone in the world.

I am still thinking about it, myself. I am torn between letting them fly the confederate flag over confederate graves or no flag at all. As for the capital in South Carolina, if it was within my power I would tell them that so long as they fly that flag they are identifying themselves as a foreign nation and I would treat them as such. Let's see how long they dig their heels in when their economy starts to go to shit because tourists need a passport to go there and their exportable goods all have to go through customs. They'll take it down in less than a week.

South Carolina isnt flying it atop any government buildings. Its a small flag pole next to a monument for confederate soldiers. Thats all.

But even that...I agree it needs to simply be in a museum.

Forum List

Back