Ojalá: A Costa Rican sense of luck

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
As the clock strikes midnight and the fireworks light up the night sky, thousands of Costa Rican families will have prepared for the rituals that, for generations, have marked the birth of a New Year.

Some defy the choking hazard of eating 12 grapes in 12 seconds in order to secure prosperity and even find out what number to play in the lottery (corresponding to the number of seeds they find in the grapes). I’ve heard of friends who wear their underwear inside out and then put it back on the right way after twelve o’clock, families that fill up their fridges to ensure a yearlong supply of food, and mothers who hand out uncooked chickpeas or lentils to carry around as a charm (no explanation as to the choice of legume).

Despite a healthy propensity for skepticism and a strong belief in the importance of scientific method, my family and I observe several New Year traditions. We run around the block with a suitcase, hoping we’ll get to travel in the upcoming year; we wear yellow clothes on January 1 for good luck and happiness; and we pick Santa Lucía flowers to store in our wallets to provide us with love, health and money.

This was originally printed in 2015 and then reprinted last year. I wonder how many people actually run around the block with a suitcase. That's wild.

Forum List

Back