Oil companies post Huge Profits!

Discussion in 'Economy' started by JimH52, Apr 29, 2008.

1. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,167
  2. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,031
    Good for the oil companies, I say.

3. cbi0090

cbi0090 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46
    17 Billion, between the whole group? Chump change, to the national oil concerns, who actually control the prices.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It's misleading, but then, what's new?

Most of the price of a gallon of gas goes to taxes, not to oil companies. If the government was THAT concerned, they'd cut their profit.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1139.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Anything more recent? I think gas prices have increased just a wee bit since '05.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Yes they have, but nothing more recent that I found.

7. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,338
    Gas "prices" haven't gone up. Your money's value has gone down.

But let's just blame the oil companies for profitting. I mean, they run a business, they should be LOSING money, right? :rolleyes:

I hate the price of gas just as much as the next guy, but I know where the blame lies, and it's not the oil companies. In a time when your dollar is becoming less and less valuable, you'd be making as many dollars as you could too if you were in business. Some of you here ARE in business for yourselves, and you know exactly what I mean.

If the value of the dollar went back up, the price of gas would come back down. That wouldn't have anything to do with oil companies. Some of you need to start realizing where the blame lies: Deficit spending, taking on massive debt, and over-inflation of the money supply. What's that got to do with oil companies?

Or is it OPEC's fault? Because they won't raise production and ease prices? Yes, they should take their main export, the export that is responsible for their entire countrys' livelihoods, and offer that export at a price that suits OUR needs the best.

I'd love to see some of your reactions if China told us we better start selling them steel at a better price, or they'll bomb us.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,338
    Weren't you just on the -blame the oil companies- bandwagon only a month or two ago?

9. TopGunna

TopGunna Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Couldn't agree more. The oil companies are the easy scapegoat since their nominal profits are increasing while the average joe is spending more at the pump. But as Paultics pointed out, the story doesn't end there.

I still think that America's inelastic demand for oil plays a key role in the prices (I still fill up my tank every week). But the declining value of the dollar is obviously having an impact, as Paulitics and Toro have pointed out before.

10. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    No, actually, prices have gone up. Even accounting for the decline of the dollar does not explain the massive increase in gas prices over the last few years.

Nobody is blaming them for profiting. People are blaming them for reporting record profits while the price of gas is hurting the economy.

Right. The oil companies sure are struggling. What was their profit...$17 billion or something?

Surely those things are related to it, but that is most definitely NOT a full explanation.

No, its not OPEC's fault.