Obstructionist Senate Democrats block Keystone. For now

Another phenomenon of having U.S. crude stockpiles stranded by lack of infrastructure is the resultant price differential with respect to the West Texas Intermediate (WTI) benchmark. This differential can be as high as $15/barrel. Here in Illinois, it is about $8.40/barrel. This adds up and effects a company's operating revenues. This is serious shit.
It's also about grade, sweet crude versus stink Mexican crude....
Pricing differentials among the various grades of crude are not nearly as broad as the market differentials.

Our refineries are primarily configured to process heavy sour crudes. The lighter U.S. grades are blended with the nasty shit before it's introduced into the fractiioning tower.
You know it's just a giant heater tower....

Here. Right from a Congressional study. Hope this helps.

Marketlink for Bakken Oil Production

The Bakken Formation is a large unconventional petroleum and natural gas resource underlying parts of North Dakota, Montana, and the Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Although the region has been producing since 1951, it is only since 2006 that prices and technology have made it economic for industry to increase production. In March 2012, Bakken production exceeded 500,000 bpd the first time.

However, production has been increasing steadily, with average daily output in August 2013 exceeding 900,000 bpd.

To date, infrastructure to transport oil produced from the Bakken Formation has not kept up with the
Keystone XL Pipeline Project: Key Issues
Congressional Research Service increased production. Bakken crude oil is transported to refineries by rail and truck, in addition to
more economical transport by pipeline.

As stated earlier, the proposed Keystone XL Project would include a lateral pipeline, the Bakken Marketlink, to provide crude oil transportation service from Baker, MT, to Cushing, OK, via the
proposed Keystone XL Pipeline and from Cushing to Texas via the proposed Gulf Coast Pipeline.

Keystone Marketlink estimates that the project will cost $140 million and have the ability to deliver approximately 100,000 bpd of crude oil to the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline.

Thus, of the Keystone Pipeline’s 830,000 bpd ultimate capacity, up to 12% has been set aside to transport Bakken crude oil. Keystone Marketlink currently has firm, long-term contracts to
transport 65,000 bpd of the 100,000 bpd

More at the link:

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41668.pdf
12% ain't much...

They need every bit of help they can get getting their product to market. As it is their rail and transport truck capacity is maxxed. Enbridge is talking another pipeline as well.
They should also build a refinery in South Dakota...
Why not North Dakota? :dunno:

Refineries sprout in North Dakota bucking the trend Reuters
For closer distribution through KC...

Despite all the Republican predictions about Obama restricting oil US production and deliberately driving prices up, domestic oil production is soaring and prices are dropping.
Why shouldn't we believe Obama's judgement on the XL over the shrill howling from the other side?
He's been right so far.

Oh hell, I was wondering when some conservative with short-term memory loss would act like obstructing congress was just terribly wrong and uncalled for. If you ever wanted to see just how totally Big Oil bucks have bought the Republicans all you have to do is look at this shit.

Oh really? For blocking the Keystone XL Steyer poured 80 million into the midterms for Democrats.

Oh and old Warren that wonderful Democrat supporter and donor is making a killing because the Democrats are blocking the XL.

Democrats are rolling in the dough from anti XL supporters. Big big money for the Dems.

Buffett’s Burlington Northern Among Pipeline Winners
By Jim Efstathiou Jr. Jan 23, 2012 5:04 PM CT

Warren Buffett’s Burlington Northern Santa Fe LLC is among U.S. and Canadian railroads that stand to benefit from the Obama administration’s decision to reject TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s Keystone XL oil pipeline permit.

Buffett s Burlington Northern Among Pipeline Winners - Bloomberg Business
Even if that shit is true, how is it any better that the Koch's have poured millions into getting republicans to go all big government on this issue?

Despite all the Republican predictions about Obama restricting oil US production and deliberately driving prices up, domestic oil production is soaring and prices are dropping.
Why shouldn't we believe Obama's judgement on the XL over the shrill howling from the other side?
He's been right so far.
Those aren't "predictions", they are facts.

There may be some nut-job Republicans who attributed high prices to Obama, but not within the oil and gas industries.
I know because I monitor quite a few industry publications on a daily basis.

The pipeline will pass. The democrats are just busy making out their list of what they want in return. Meanwhile 43,000 American jobs will collect dust in the wings. $3 billion that could be in American worker's pockets being held hostage by democrats. I hope voters remember that in 2016 -working class voters.
Those figures are not based in reality and are the absolute high-end estimates by the lobbyists who are trying to get it built. It's one of the reasons republicans look so bought off on this issue, they are over-selling it to the max and counting on America to not check up on how disappointing it will really turn out.

The pipeline will pass. The democrats are just busy making out their list of what they want in return. Meanwhile 43,000 American jobs will collect dust in the wings. $3 billion that could be in American worker's pockets being held hostage by democrats. I hope voters remember that in 2016 -working class voters.
Those figures are not based in reality and are the absolute high-end estimates by the lobbyists who are trying to get it built. It's one of the reasons republicans look so bought off on this issue, they are over-selling it to the max and counting on America to not check up on how disappointing it will really turn out.
Since you seem to be eminently knowledgeable on the subject, could you please tell if there is any truth in the statement that "all of the Canadian crude that passes through the Keystone pipeline will be exported". ? :dunno:

I know that the Canadian parliament & oil industry are getting sick and tired of Marxist obstructionism from the US. Meanwhile the Chinese and Indians are trying to twist Canada's arm into shunting the XL up to Prince Rupert, British Columbia, bypassing the US completely, from whence supertankers will carry every drop of oil Canada can produce to their respective countries. The two have a combined middle class of 200 million, people who own cars and who are telling the US left to fuck itself regarding our attempted petroleum obstructionism and hysterical warmie doom orchestrations worldwide. Asia will control its own financial destiny and industrial growth. So will Russia. They don't need a bunch of geriatric American hippies gumming up the works, and they're not going to put up with it. They have Jaguars and Buicks that need a fill-up, after all.

This whole issue is being hampered by an ignorant public coupled with the lies of the Left.

Oh yeah... and a President that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

When the Republicans were the minority party they blocked legislation they did not agree with so I have no problem with the Democrats doing this now. Having said that if some Republicans want to call Democrats the party of no and obstructionist for doing this just as some Democrats did to the Republicans I have no problem with that either.

Since you seem to be eminently knowledgeable on the subject, could you please tell if there is any truth in the statement that "all of the Canadian crude that passes through the Keystone pipeline will be exported". ? :dunno:
Not all of it, just the portion that the rest of the world buys on the open market where it must be sold, it will not be an insignificant percentage and it will not be the answer to energy independence that the more optimistic republicans are touting.

Not all of it, just the portion that the rest of the world buys on the open market where it must be sold, it will not be an insignificant percentage and it will not be the answer to energy independence that the more optimistic republicans are touting.
The international exchange of goods and services is what makes world economies hum. Why should oil be treated differently? :dunno: Why do we have a 40 year old (not virgin) embargo on U.S. crude oil exports? (I know the answer but I'll let you fiddle with it).

43,000? More like less than 43. Using American steel, and limiting the sales of refined products to the US are Democratic demands to help America. All republicans care about is helping oil companies.

So the Dems in the Senate are blocking the will of duly elected representatives in the House, blocking measures that would help American unemployment at no cost to the taxpayer. And this is OK because?
Senate blocks swift passage of Keystone XL pipeline bill - Yahoo News
Lets see....the Dems blocked a bill......That brings the score up to Dems one repubs about a million.
As I've stated before, there are a myriad of amendments being attached to this bill. Attached, removed, amended, re-attached, redacted. Shit moves fast on The Hill. I've resigned myself to sit back and enjoy the show.

So the Dems in the Senate are blocking the will of duly elected representatives in the House, blocking measures that would help American unemployment at no cost to the taxpayer. And this is OK because?
Senate blocks swift passage of Keystone XL pipeline bill - Yahoo News
Lets see....the Dems blocked a bill......That brings the score up to Dems one repubs about a million.
As I've stated before, there are a myriad of amendments being attached to this bill. Attached, removed, amended, re-attached, redacted. Shit moves fast on The Hill. I've resigned myself to sit back and enjoy the show.
What's so bad about requiring American steel to be used and the refined products to be sold here? Isn't that what repubs have been claiming all along? Why are they refusing to allow that to be put in the bill?

Forum List

Back