Obama's brilliant first move

Obama's decision to give his first TV interview to the satellite news channel Al Arabiya was intended as an olive branch to the Middle East and to Muslims, the White House said.

"The president believed that this was an opportunity to show the world that he would be personally involved and engaged in seeking long-lasting peace in the Middle East," said White House press secretary Robert Gibbs.

A prominent Palestinian lawmaker, Hanan Ashrawi, said of the interview: "People are starting to feel this isn't just lip service."

Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal called the Obama interview a positive development.

Prince Saud said the president expressed a "desire to have a strong and fruitful relationship with the Arab world."

A Jordanian Cabinet minister said Mr. Obama's Middle East vision matches Jordan's desire for a two-state solution for Israel and the Palestinians.

Washington Times - Obama reaches out with Arab TV interview

The only problem is that we've been down this road how many times? Every administration over the last at least 30 years has tried to broker some kind of peace between Israel and the Palestinian Arabs. As for the rest of the Arab world, relations have always been up and down.

Just watch; things will start out looking very positive, then the Arabs will do something to derail any progress that may come about. Next thing, we'll be right back to square one. The problem is it's not an Arab problem; it's a Muslim problem, and until the Muslims decide they actually want to get along with everyone, their one sided view of the world will cause problems for the rest of the world.

Oh I know, I know.. They probably agree with the terrorists.. i think they even took a poll that said so..

Exactly the point.

Obama is changing world opinion. This is called leadership.

Giving an interview is a hell of a lot cheaper than wasting 4,000 American dead, 30,000 wounded, and $700 billion dollars.

That's what Neville Chamberlain said.

Oh I know, I know.. They probably agree with the terrorists.. i think they even took a poll that said so..

Exactly the point.

Giving an interview is a hell of a lot cheaper than wasting 4,000 American dead, 30,000 wounded, and $700 billion dollars.

Ridiculous comment.

The two biggest security threats America faces are Russia and China. They have modern militaries and thousands of nuclear weapons. A few guys in a cave in Pakistan with no army, no navy, and no air force are not a serious threat to a country of 300 million people.

Exactly the point.

Ridiculous comment.

The two biggest security threats America faces are Russia and China. They have modern militaries and thousands of nuclear weapons. A few guys in a cave in Pakistan with no army, no navy, and no air force are not a serious threat to a country of 300 million people.

He's 3 for 3 in this thread ...

It's a really smart move. I know his political detractors will be severely pissed off but it's an excellent move. International politics (all politics I suppose) is not just about leaping into action, it's all about symbolism.

I admit I have absolutely no idea about the Arab poltiical world except that democracy is rare and authoritarianism is widespread. Obama's actions may be well received by the average person in the soukh but you can be assured that his actions will be closedly watched and interpreted in the halls of power in the Arab world.

And recall that a significant number of countries and states are sympathetic to the west and would like nothing better than to have a positive relationship with the leader of the western world (whoever is the US president at any given time inherits that appellation). They might be authoritarian but they need their people on board with them.

Ridiculous comment.

of course you mean 3 for 3 being right all 3 times, right?

of course you mean 3 for 3 being right all 3 times, right?

That's a big "en oh" good buddy!~
well then, you'd be the one thats wrong this time

He claimed that the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is a Muslim problem. I refuted it with the lasting peace between Israel and Egypt (which is VASTLY Muslim).

Claiming 995 million Muslims want us converted or gone is completely baseless and unquantifiable.

And the Nevelle Chamberlain comment was completely pulled out of his ass ... Obama interview=Nevelle Chamberlain. LOL

The last time Egypt and Israel were in a war, Egypt got their asses kicked. Peace through strength is the only reason there is peace. If Israel were weak, the peace would end.

Israel has consistently pounded Hamas and the Palestinians yet they fight on despite being severly outgunned.

Sorry, your logic has a HUGE hole in it.

Ridiculous comment.

When Muslims control Europe, that will change. The lack of an abilitiy to see the long term picture is the problem. This is why Bush's ideology had the correct intent. Unfortunately, it is not likely to ever pay dividends. There is nothing wrong with Obama trying to put his own signature on all of this. It just isn't going to make a difference or change anything in the long term; same as Bush's policies didn't change anything.

When Muslims control Europe, that will change. The lack of an abilitiy to see the long term picture is the problem. This is why Bush's ideology had the correct intent. Unfortunately, it is not likely to ever pay dividends. There is nothing wrong with Obama trying to put his own signature on all of this. It just isn't going to make a difference or change anything in the long term; same as Bush's policies didn't change anything.

Yeah, I've read America Alone and I know about the demographic "issue." But what you are doing is taking the assumption that Muslims are bad and projecting the possible results of demographic trend that could change at any moment. You are using a highly imaginary scenario.

Yeah, I've read America Alone and I know about the demographic "issue." But what you are doing is taking the assumption that Muslims are bad and projecting the possible results of demographic trend that could change at any moment. You are using a highly imaginary scenario.

It's more than reading America Alone, and it's more than demographics. It's already begun. Just read what so many local Imams throughout Europe are saying. They're telling us it's just a matter of time before it's theirs and what they will do with it once it is. Hey, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. This is where we are headed.

I know a lot of people in Europe, and I know what they've told me about the things that are already happening. They never saw this coming, but now they are fearful of what is going to happen down the road.

It's more than reading America Alone, and it's more than demographics. It's already begun. Just read what so many local Imams throughout Europe are saying. They're telling us it's just a matter of time before it's theirs and what they will do with it once it is. Hey, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. This is where we are headed.

I know a lot of people in Europe, and I know what they've told me about the things that are already happening. They never saw this coming, but now they are fearful of what is going to happen down the road.

Fair enough. But I don't know how brute force and military might are going to prevent that from happening.

I view Europe's issues with Muslims as an assimilation and economic problem.

Impressive how many people here think that Obama is an arab, a muslim or both. How contributing to the discussing.

You probably all assume it from this picture:
obamaTurban.jpg

and then make it into this picture:
2k5b48c14d1b.jpg

And is there anything other then the picture that would insinuate that he is a muslim/arab? NO

The only other religious things you can see is that the guy went to church for the biggest part of his live (still does), got raised by a christian white family and got baptized in a church.

"I was sworn in with my hand on the family Bible. Whenever I'm in the United States Senate, I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. So if you get some silly e-mail ... send it back to whoever sent it and tell them this is all crazy. Educate." Barack Obama Obama sets record straight on religion - Barack Obama News- msnbc.com

So get educated or give some facts that prove it.

In the Netherlands, it is somewhat most visible: 1 million muslims (all immigrated there in the last 50 years) out of a 16 million population are muslims. So 1/16 people you meet there is a muslim, while back in 1950 the netherlands was a almost 100% Christian country. It is just unhealthy to have such a big immigrant population of only one religion that is different from the majority of people who lived in that country for ages, it is almost like a colonization.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back