Obamacare could deny coverage to sick

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Administration officials insist they can make changes to the program to ensure it lasts until 2014, and that it may not have to turn away sick people. Officials said the administration could also consider reducing benefits under the program, or redistributing funds between state pools. But they acknowledged turning some people away was also a possibility.
“There’s a certain amount of money authorized in the statute, and we will do our best to make sure that that amount of money insures as many people as possible and does as much good as possible,” said Jay Angoff, director of the Office of Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). “I think it’s premature to say [what happens] when it’s gone.”

The administration has not discussed asking Congress for more money down the line if the $5 billion runs out before Jan. 1, 2014. Uninsured sick people could start applying for participation in the high-risk insurance pools on Thursday.

Health law risks turning away sick - TheHill.com

I thought the one thing they wanted to guarantee was that those who were sick and needed coverage would get it. Seems they can't even get that right.

The guaranteed issue provisions of the law don't take effect until the exchanges come into existence, no later than January 1, 2014. The new high-risk pools are just a temporary stop-gap measure to alleviate some of the pain until then as the exchanges are being constructed.

Originally, there weren't any provisions for people with pre-existing conditions until 2013/2014. This program, along with a few others, was inserted later in the process to ensure the law starts helping some people now.

The guaranteed issue provisions of the law don't take effect until the exchanges come into existence, no later than January 1, 2014. The new high-risk pools are just a temporary stop-gap measure to alleviate some of the pain until then as the exchanges are being constructed.

Originally, there weren't any provisions for people with pre-existing conditions until 2013/2014. This program, along with a few others, was inserted later in the process to ensure the law starts helping some people now.

You are one of those Obamacare apologist, aren't you?

This is supposed to cover them until then, and it is not going to make it.

The Obama administration has not ruled out turning sick people away from an insurance program created by the new healthcare law to provide coverage for the uninsured.
Critics of the $5 billion high-risk pool program insist it will run out of money before Jan. 1, 2014. That’s when the program sunsets and health plans can no longer discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions.

Believe it or not, I can read, and I read the article I linked to. The problem is these people are not going to make it until 2014 because the money set aside to deal with them until then is not going to be enough. Your idol screwed up, and you want to cover up for him.

obama-kool-aid.jpg

Believe it or not, I can read, and I read the article I linked to. The problem is these people are not going to make it until 2014 because the money set aside to deal with them until then is not going to be enough. Your idol screwed up, and you want to cover up for him.

I have no doubt you can read, I just assume you haven't read much that's relevant here. For example, the provision of the law that creates this program:

(g) Funding; Termination of Authority-
(1) IN GENERAL- There is appropriated to the Secretary, out of any moneys in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $5,000,000,000 to pay claims against (and the administrative costs of) the high risk pool under this section that are in excess of the amount of premiums collected from eligible individuals enrolled in the high risk pool. Such funds shall be available without fiscal year limitation.
(2) INSUFFICIENT FUNDS- If the Secretary estimates for any fiscal year that the aggregate amounts available for the payment of the expenses of the high risk pool will be less than the actual amount of such expenses, the Secretary shall make such adjustments as are necessary to eliminate such deficit.
[...]
(4) LIMITATIONS- The Secretary has the authority to stop taking applications for participation in the program under this section to comply with the funding limitation provided for in paragraph (1).​

In other words, this is in the law.

I have no doubt you can read, I just assume you haven't read much that's relevant here. For example, the provision of the law that creates this program:

(1) IN GENERAL- There is appropriated to the Secretary, out of any moneys in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $5,000,000,000 to pay claims against (and the administrative costs of) the high risk pool under this section that are in excess of the amount of premiums collected from eligible individuals enrolled in the high risk pool. Such funds shall be available without fiscal year limitation.
(2) INSUFFICIENT FUNDS- If the Secretary estimates for any fiscal year that the aggregate amounts available for the payment of the expenses of the high risk pool will be less than the actual amount of such expenses, the Secretary shall make such adjustments as are necessary to eliminate such deficit.
[...]
(4) LIMITATIONS- The Secretary has the authority to stop taking applications for participation in the program under this section to comply with the funding limitation provided for in paragraph (1).​

What's your point? Palin pointed that out a long time ago, and the apologists sneered at her. Was she right all along?

What's your point? Palin pointed that out a long time ago, and the apologists sneered at her. Was she right all along?

Oh good lord. Palin's "death panels" nonsense referred to Medicare coverage for voluntary advanced care planning consultations for senior citizens. It had nothing to do with this, nor was it even a criticism of the same bill (Palin was attacking the original House bill, H.R. 3200; the bill that became law was the Senate bill, H.R. 3590).

You're mixing up your bullshit here.

Oh good lord. Palin's "death panels" nonsense referred to Medicare coverage for voluntary advanced care planning consultations for senior citizens. It had nothing to do with this, nor was it even a criticism of the same bill (Palin was attacking the original House bill, H.R. 3200; the bill that became law was the Senate bill, H.R. 3590).

You know what she was referring to? I thought she was an idiot. Whatever she was reffering to, you certainly do not know what I was referring to.

Sarah Palin: Obama and the Bureaucratization of Health Care - WSJ.com

Or are you going to try and claim she was wrong about this, and this is not rationing?

You know what she was referring to?

Of course. Did you not know? And if that's the case, why did you reference it?

Or are you going to try and claim she was wrong about this, and this is not rationing?

What's rationing? Her suggestion that Medicare be replaced with a system of vouchers indexed to the rate of inflation (not medical inflation)? Sure, you could make a very strong case for that.

You know what she was referring to? I thought she was an idiot. Whatever she was reffering to, you certainly do not know what I was referring to.

Sarah Palin: Obama and the Bureaucratization of Health Care - WSJ.com

I am sure he will

[...]
(4) LIMITATIONS- The Secretary has the authority to stop taking applications for participation in the program under this section to comply with the funding limitation provided for in paragraph (1).

Now I don't Pretend to speak legalize, and I know these laws are written to keep the masses ignorant. But does this not say Stop taking [patients because of limited funding? So it's true some people will not be treated.

Last edited:

[...]
(4) LIMITATIONS- The Secretary has the authority to stop taking applications for participation in the program under this section to comply with the funding limitation provided for in paragraph (1).

Now I don't [retend to speak legalize, and I know these laws are written to keep the masses ignorant. But does this not say Stop taking [patients because of limited funding? So it's true some people will not be treated.

Shhh they were hoping you wouldn't notice that part.:eek:

Now I don't [retend to speak legalize, and I know these laws are written to keep the masses ignorant. But does this not say Stop taking [patients because of limited funding? So it's true some people will not be treated.

Yes. High-risk pools (including those that existed before this law) are subsidized to keep them solvent. In this case, the new ones are given $5 billion over a three and a half year period, which limits their capacity. In 2014, anyone with a pre-existing condition will be able to buy insurance through an exchange. Until then, many will be able to enter high-risk pools but probably not all. As I said above, this is a stop-gap measure--it isn't meant to solve the problem (that's what the exchanges are for), it's meant to alleviate some of the pain until the exchanges are up and running.

Shhh they were hoping you wouldn't notice that part.

Yes, the part that was purposefully quoted here--by me--was the part I was hoping you wouldn't notice.

Yes. High-risk pools (including those that existed before this law) are subsidized to keep them solvent. In this case, the new ones are given $5 billion over a three and a half year period, which limits their capacity. In 2014, anyone with a pre-existing condition will be able to buy insurance through an exchange. Until then, many will be able to enter high-risk pools but probably not all. As I said above, this is a stop-gap measure--it isn't meant to solve the problem (that's what the exchanges are for), it's meant to alleviate some of the pain until the exchanges are up and running.

Yes, the part that was purposefully quoted here--by me--was the part I was hoping you wouldn't notice.

Clearly you want people to ignore it. Or you would not deny that it could lead to rationing.

Clearly you want people to ignore it. Or you would not deny that it could lead to rationing.

If he wanted people to ignore it, he wouldn't have quoted in the first place.

If he wanted people to ignore it, he wouldn't have quoted in the first place.

Then explain why he keeps dismissing it, and claiming it could not lead to rationing, when it clearly says it could?

Of course. Did you not know? And if that's the case, why did you reference it?

I didn't, you did.

What's rationing? Her suggestion that Medicare be replaced with a system of vouchers indexed to the rate of inflation (not medical inflation)? Sure, you could make a very strong case for that.

Given such statements, is it any wonder that many of the sick and elderly are concerned that the Democrats' proposals will ultimately lead to rationing of their health care...

That rationing.

Just to make a point, medical inflation outstrips regular inflation because the government regulations and tort laws force doctors to survive in a market that has no relief valve when it gets to expensive.

Forum List

Back