Obamacare could deny coverage to sick

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Quantum Windbag, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Health law risks turning away sick - TheHill.com

I thought the one thing they wanted to guarantee was that those who were sick and needed coverage would get it. Seems they can't even get that right.

2. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    The guaranteed issue provisions of the law don't take effect until the exchanges come into existence, no later than January 1, 2014. The new high-risk pools are just a temporary stop-gap measure to alleviate some of the pain until then as the exchanges are being constructed.

Originally, there weren't any provisions for people with pre-existing conditions until 2013/2014. This program, along with a few others, was inserted later in the process to ensure the law starts helping some people now.

3. driveby

driveby Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Oh neat .....

4. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    You are one of those Obamacare apologist, aren't you?

This is supposed to cover them until then, and it is not going to make it.

Believe it or not, I can read, and I read the article I linked to. The problem is these people are not going to make it until 2014 because the money set aside to deal with them until then is not going to be enough. Your idol screwed up, and you want to cover up for him.

[​IMG]

5. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    [​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    I have no doubt you can read, I just assume you haven't read much that's relevant here. For example, the provision of the law that creates this program:

(g) Funding; Termination of Authority-
    (1) IN GENERAL- There is appropriated to the Secretary, out of any moneys in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, $5,000,000,000 to pay claims against (and the administrative costs of) the high risk pool under this section that are in excess of the amount of premiums collected from eligible individuals enrolled in the high risk pool. Such funds shall be available without fiscal year limitation.
    (2) INSUFFICIENT FUNDS- If the Secretary estimates for any fiscal year that the aggregate amounts available for the payment of the expenses of the high risk pool will be less than the actual amount of such expenses, the Secretary shall make such adjustments as are necessary to eliminate such deficit.
    [...]
    (4) LIMITATIONS- The Secretary has the authority to stop taking applications for participation in the program under this section to comply with the funding limitation provided for in paragraph (1).​

In other words, this is in the law.

7. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221

What's your point? Palin pointed that out a long time ago, and the apologists sneered at her. Was she right all along?

8. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Oh good lord. Palin's "death panels" nonsense referred to Medicare coverage for voluntary advanced care planning consultations for senior citizens. It had nothing to do with this, nor was it even a criticism of the same bill (Palin was attacking the original House bill, H.R. 3200; the bill that became law was the Senate bill, H.R. 3590).

You're mixing up your bullshit here.

9. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    You know what she was referring to? I thought she was an idiot. Whatever she was reffering to, you certainly do not know what I was referring to.

Sarah Palin: Obama and the Bureaucratization of Health Care - WSJ.com

Or are you going to try and claim she was wrong about this, and this is not rationing?

10. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Of course. Did you not know? And if that's the case, why did you reference it?

What's rationing? Her suggestion that Medicare be replaced with a system of vouchers indexed to the rate of inflation (not medical inflation)? Sure, you could make a very strong case for that.