Obama writes a thank you letter to Reagan

Apr 17, 2011
Dear President Reagan,

I want to thank you for making out of control spending politically possible. I would never have been able to get away with spending so much had you not made massive spending increases politically possible through your sound arguments that deficits are good and that military spending is always justified.

I have been able to take these arguments to the American people to justify my own out of control spending. Of course, my predecessor George W. Bush helped, but he was merely emulating your spending patterns. Today our deficit is higher than it has ever been and I want to let you know that I owe you a debt of gratitude for being the Godfather of crazy spending.

Sincerely,

President Obama

• Banned
Yes, I got negged and flamed again by the right wing troll, boedicca.

I am doing something right. :lol:

Reagan will continue to go down as one of the best President's in this country's history, Obama will go down as one of the worst, deal with it........

• Banned
Reagan will continue to go down as one of the best President's in this country's history, Obama will go down as one of the worst, deal with it........

I don't play that false dichotomy. Deal with it.

I love when rw kooks defend massive deficit spending for their own party, but then go apeshit when Dems do it.

I don't play that false paradigm. Deal with it.

I love when rw kooks defend massive deficit spending for their own party, but then go apeshit when Dems do it.
*Yes you do* This thread for starters.

• Banned

Wrong, goomba. I don't worship Reagan's explosion of the debt while criticizing Obama's explosion of the debt.

You have me mistaken for a rw kook, like yourself.

Reagan spent a trillion dollars to lose 10 million jobs then touted it as a success? ....

run along junior.....

Wrong, goomba. I don't worship Reagan's explosion of the debt while criticizing Obama's explosion of the debt.

You have me mistaken for a rw kook, like yourself.
No, QUITE the opposite...Goombah...

• Banned

Reagan spent a trillion dollars to lose 10 million jobs then touted it as a success? ....

run along junior.....

I have been very critical of Obama's spending, but you freaks do not care. All you care about is jacking off to Reagan and his massive deficit spending while lambasting anyone else who practices massive deficit spending.

You kooks are entertaining.

Dear President Reagan,

I want to thank you for making out of control spending politically possible. I would never have been able to get away with spending so much had you not made massive spending increases politically possible through your sound arguments that deficits are good and that military spending is always justified.

I have been able to take these arguments to the American people to justify my own out of control spending. Of course, my predecessor George W. Bush helped, but he was merely emulating your spending patterns. Today our deficit is higher than it has ever been and I want to let you know that I owe you a debt of gratitude for being the Godfather of crazy spending.

Sincerely,

President Obama

What are you, like 10?

:confused:

run along junior.....

I have been very critical of Obama's spending, but you freaks do not care. All you care about is jacking off to Reagan and his massive deficit spending while lambasting anyone else who practices massive deficit spending.

jacking off to Reagan? Seriously? Got a link?

run along junior.....

jacking off to Reagan? Seriously? Got a link?
As a matter of course he/she/it doesn't. It's just supposition, and Reagan Bashing extrodiaire.

run along junior.....

I have been very critical of Obama's spending.

Rightttt, so has msnbc ....... :cuckoo:

Here is a recent thread of mine which no one will touch. It is a post expaling Antal E. Fekete's analysis why Obama's stimulus package is doomed to fail
http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/171362-marginal-productivity-of-debt-is-negative.html

You must feel like an idiot now.

run along junior.....

Critical? where?

Dear President Reagan,

Sincerely,

President Obama

2 questions.

First Exactly when has Obama ever claimed his spending is Justified because Military Spending is always justified?

Second, How much was the Debt and Deficit as a % of GDP under Reagan Compared to today? Do you even know?

First Exactly when has Obama ever claimed his spending is Justified because Military Spending is always justified?

Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bahrain, etc.

Second, How much was the Debt and Deficit as a % of GDP under Reagan Compared to today? Do you even know?

This is the wrong ratio to look at, but this doesn't stop you Keynesians from justifying more spending. The correct ratio to look at is the marginal productivity of debt, as I previously posted.

"Reagan," Vice President Dick Cheney famously declared in 2002, "proved deficits don't matter." Unless, that is, a Democrat is in the White House.

Last edited:

Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bahrain, etc.

This is the wrong ratio to look at, but this doesn't stop you Keynesians from justifying more spending. The correct ratio to look at is the marginal productivity of debt, as I previously posted.

"Reagan," Vice President Dick Cheney famously declared in 2002, "proved deficits don't matter." Unless, that is, a Democrat is in the White House.

DEBT, in and of itself is not necessarily bad. For example, my house, worth $200,000 when bought, was borrowed against for $75,000. Now Im in debt by $75,000 more. However, with that borrowed money, I improved the house and made it worth about $500,000.

Debt MUST be taken in context to understand its real reprucussions.

What effects did president reagan's economic policies have on the country? - Yahoo! Answers

Reagan's policies are recognized by some as bringing about one of the longest peacetime expansions in U.S. history.[9] During the Reagan administration, the American economy went from a GDP growth of -0.3% in 1980 to 4.1% in 1988 (in constant 2005 dollars) [10], which reduced the unemployment rate by 1.6%, from 7.1% in 1980 to 5.5% in 1988, but with peaks of around 9.5% in 1982 and 1983.[11] A net job increase of about 16 million also occurred (about the rate of population growth).

Tax receipts
During the Reagan Administration, federal receipts grew at an average rate of 8.2% (2.5% attributed to higher Social Security receipts), and federal outlays grew at an annual rate of 7.1%.[28][29]

According to a United States Department of the Treasury economic study,[30] the major tax bills enacted under Reagan, in the short-term, significantly reduced (~-1% of GDP) government tax receipts. Separated out, however, it is clear that the Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 was a massive (~-3% of GDP) decrease in revenues (the largest tax cuts ever enacted),[31] while other tax bills had neutral or, in the case of the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982, significant (~+1% of GDP) government revenue-enhancing effects. It should be however noted that the study did not examine the longer-term impact of Reagan tax policy, including sunset clauses and "the long-run, fully-phased-in effect of the tax bills".[30] The table below represents only a 4-year average:

On 8 of the 10 key economic variables examined, the American economy performed better during the Reagan years than during the pre- and post-Reagan years.
Real median family income grew by $4,000 during the Reagan period after experiencing no growth in the pre-Reagan years; it experienced a loss of almost $1,500 in the post-Reagan years.
Interest rates, inflation, and unemployment fell faster under Reagan than they did immediately before or after his presidency.
The only economic variable that was worse in the Reagan period than in both the pre- and post-Reagan years was the savings rate, which fell rapidly in the 1980s.
The productivity rate was higher in the pre-Reagan years but much lower in the post-Reagan years.

Forum List

Back