Obama-voting counties get twice as much stimulus cash per person!

Feb 28, 2009
Billions in aid go to areas that backed Obama in '08 - USATODAY.com

Counties that supported Obama last year have reaped twice as much money per person from the administration's $787 billion economic stimulus package as those that voted for his Republican rival, Sen. John McCain, a USA TODAY analysis of government disclosure and accounting records shows. That money includes aid to repair military bases, improve public housing and help students pay for college.
Double the stimulus, per person, for counties that went Obama.

The article goes on to say this is not without precedent --
The imbalance didn't start with the stimulus. From 2005 through 2007, the counties that later voted for Obama collected about 50% more government aid than those that supported McCain, according to spending reports from the U.S. Census Bureau.
Looks to me like it started when Dens started getting more control of Congress in 2004 and got even more of it in 2006.

I'm not sure it's accurate for the USA Today to be blaming this on Presidents Bush and Obama. Last time I checked, Congress has the purse strings.

Now, there could be other reasons for this too: need. Most all of these areas getting the most stimulus bucks have had Dem leadership for many years. So, is it incompetence? Or cronyism?

Either way, the fact remains. Counties who voted for Obama are getting TWICE the stimulus dollars, per person, than ones who went for McCain. No matter how you slice it, it does give off a bad, payola smell.

Vote buying! 21st Century, Chicago style!

Last edited:
Saw this on the news this morning. No surprise here. Well, I take that back. I'm surprised that the counties that didn't support Obama got anything. My big question though is where are all the jobs?

I think this is a problem with post hoc/procter hoc logic. The counties that vote for 0bama are the counties that have more economic problems. Well run places vote for republicans and don't need aid. Badly run pest holes vote for democrats and require all kinds of aid.

Who voted for the 0ne? Messed up folks, by and large. Those on welfare, unemployables. They vote for the same kind of people locally too.

The government has long given aid based on need. The more needy, caused by foolishness, the more they get.

What might be interesting is the statistics adjusted for income by county.

I think this is a problem with post hoc/procter hoc logic.

You mean "propter hoc."

And I disagree. It certainly can appear that way, but at the end of the day, the economic "aid" doesn't actually aid anyone. Those counties don't need government aid because there is no such thing. What they NEED to is get jobs, which cutting taxes helps to stimulate.

Come on, Aristophanes. Please don't try to put facts into this conversation. You'll just confuse us. Like so many other people in my neck of the woods are asking, "Where are all the jobs being created?" Certainly not here in northwestern Illinois.

Forum List

Back