Obama pulls back on 'enemies' remark to Latinos

WASHINGTON – A day before the pivotal midterm elections, President Barack Obama pulled back from remarks he made last month when he called on Latino voters to punish their "enemies" on Election Day. In an interview Monday with radio host Michael Baisden, Obama said he should have used the word "opponents" instead of enemies.

Obama pulls back on 'enemies' remark to Latinos - Yahoo! News

lmao...i remember just a couple of days ago some dems were staunchly defending obama over his remarks....

But now votes are on the line.

WASHINGTON – A day before the pivotal midterm elections, President Barack Obama pulled back from remarks he made last month when he called on Latino voters to punish their "enemies" on Election Day. In an interview Monday with radio host Michael Baisden, Obama said he should have used the word "opponents" instead of enemies.

lmao...i remember just a couple of days ago some dems were staunchly defending obama over his remarks....

He should have used "frienemies"

Here's the full quote:

Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. (Applause.) From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime.

It was a stupid thing to say..
"Every nation...any nation..."

He wasn't speaking of Americans, was he?

This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone knows, in context, he meant opponents or adversaries. WTF. Talk about no common sense. When did enemy become such an unspeakable word?

The president, during any term, is the leader of the party he's in. Political leaders have enemies. They have opponents. The fact that Tancredo can call Obama "a bigger enemy than Al Queda" and have none of you call HIM out for it...speaks volumes.

You're just trying to score a cheap point...instead of taking the comment in context. You might get away with it...but you're either lying to yourself...or your just out right lying.

This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone knows, in context, he meant opponents or adversaries. WTF. Talk about no common sense. When did enemy become such an unspeakable word?

The president, during any term, is the leader of the party he's in. Political leaders have enemies. They have opponents. The fact that Tancredo can call Obama "a bigger enemy than Al Queda" and have none of you call HIM out for it...speaks volumes.

You're just trying to score a cheap point...instead of taking the comment in context. You might get away with it...but you're either lying to yourself...or your just out right lying.
Yea, I remember when the libs were so understanding of GWB's choice of words :eusa_whistle: Obama shouldn't speak unless he has a telepromter in fornt of him to read someone elses words.

Yep. This is just like the idiocy over the republicans not getting the keys but sitting in the back of the car.

FAUXRAGE.

Sadly, most of the idiot class laps it up.

He should have used "frienemies"

Or he should have called them "Enemaricans"

You really can't see the difference between a politician referring to the President as an enemy of the Constitution, and the President himself referring to citizens as enemies of each other? Irresponsible choice of words...

When you're in a position of leadership, a position of power, a position of the President of the United States of America, you have a tremendous responsibility for everything you say and project. So much for being an eloquent speaker and a different kind of leader.

Good Morning America on Wednesday was the only network morning show to highlight Barack Obama's exhortations that Latinos should help him "punish our enemies." Host George Stephanopoulos played the clip while discussing the issue with conservative Laura Ingraham.

At the same time, he attempted to downplay the President's comments, given during an interview to Univision. After the radio host lambasted Obama, Stephanopoulos defended, "You don't really mean to suggest that it's okay for one side to be hard line and not the other?"

Ingraham shot back: "I don't think it's presidential. And I know everybody's rough-and-tumble in this campaign. But he's still the President."

ABC Alone Features Obama Exhorting Latinos to 'Punish Our Enemies,' Stephanopoulos Downplays

Yep. This is just like the idiocy over the republicans not getting the keys but sitting in the back of the car.

FAUXRAGE.

Sadly, most of the idiot class laps it up.

Exactly. And USMB is proof that people dont want to go forward with actual, reasoned debate...they just want to stay part of the idiot class and post cheap jibes. Unfortunately I can't stop coming here ;)

Yea, I remember when the libs were so understanding of GWB's choice of words :eusa_whistle: Obama shouldn't speak unless he has a telepromter in fornt of him to read someone elses words.

Two wrongs dont make a right. Libs and Conservatives both need to clean up their act.

Two wrongs dont make a right. Libs and Conservatives both need to clean up their act.[/QUOTE]

You first. :lol: LOL

You really can't see the difference between a politician referring to the President as an enemy of the Constitution, and the President himself referring to citizens as enemies of each other? Irresponsible choice of words...

When you're in a position of leadership, a position of power, a position of the President of the United States of America, you have a tremendous responsibility for everything you say and project. So much for being an eloquent speaker and a different kind of leader.

Good Morning America on Wednesday was the only network morning show to highlight Barack Obama's exhortations that Latinos should help him "punish our enemies." Host George Stephanopoulos played the clip while discussing the issue with conservative Laura Ingraham.

At the same time, he attempted to downplay the President's comments, given during an interview to Univision. After the radio host lambasted Obama, Stephanopoulos defended, "You don't really mean to suggest that it's okay for one side to be hard line and not the other?"

Ingraham shot back: "I don't think it's presidential. And I know everybody's rough-and-tumble in this campaign. But he's still the President."

ABC Alone Features Obama Exhorting Latinos to 'Punish Our Enemies,' Stephanopoulos Downplays
Context is your friend. :thup:

If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying we're gonna punish our enemies and we're gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us, if they don't see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it's going to be harder, and that's why I think it's so important that people focus on voting on November 2nd.

Of course he apologized. It was a really stupid accusation with no basis in reality. But... conveniently, his 'misspeak' has already had the impact that he desired when he said it. Nothing like this happens 'accidentally'.... it's planned.

Yet again, we have an example of the tactics that our "Leaders" use.... then they wonder why we treat them with no respect. Respect is earned. Obama hasn't earned it, so I don't give it.

If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying we're gonna punish our enemies and we're gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us, if they don't see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it's going to be harder, and that's why I think it's so important that people focus on voting on November 2nd.

Why would Americans who happen to be Latino, think other Americans, who happen not to be of the same political persuasion, as their 'enemies'.... Unless the words are put into their heads.

Context is indeed our friend. And context is a little bit more than the words in context, Ravi. Context is also the 'what, when, where, why, and how' of the words.

Of course he apologized. It was a really stupid accusation with no basis in reality. But... conveniently, his 'misspeak' has already had the impact that he desired when he said it. Nothing like this happens 'accidentally'.... it's planned.

Yet again, we have an example of the tactics that our "Leaders" use.... then they wonder why we treat them with no respect. Respect is earned. Obama hasn't earned it, so I don't give it.
While his "enemies" don't deserve his respect. ;)
And the "enemies" of latinos do not deserve their respect.

You can't beat up on group of people, then expect them to respect you.

Why would Americans who happen to be Latino, think other Americans, who happen not to be of the same political persuasion, as their 'enemies'.... Unless the words are put into their heads.

Context is indeed our friend. And context is a little bit more than the words in context, Ravi. Context is also the 'what, when, where, why, and how' of the words.
Why do you think Latinos are so stupid that then don't understand what political enemies are?

:lol:

Forum List

Back