Obama-Pelosi Lame Duck Strategy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Foxfyre, Jul 11, 2010.

?

What do you hope for from Congress for the rest of 2010?

1. I want the Democrats to get it done whatever they have to do to do that. It's our only hope.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I want Congress to stop and think and not act hastily, now and later.

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Other. I'll explain in my post.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,483
    It seems that our fearless leaders are planning all sorts of stuff for the waning months of the current Congress. Union Card Check, a modest cap and trade energy bill to be seriously upgraded behind closed doors in conference, a universal federal voter registration program that would override state laws, a lot of new taxes, and a lot of spending including a lot of pork.

As the clock ticks relentlessly on and the stomach turns, it's anybody's guess how much of it they'll get done, but since everybody seems to be resigned that it is the Democrats' last chance to do it, they're going to try to do a whole lot of it.

Or of couse they could take the statesmanlike approach and hear the people and not act hastily and without careful thought.

What do you think the chances are of that?

Odds anyone?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Oh they will push for everything they can get in congress. I think Obama has already resigned himself to being a 1 term President so he knows he only has a few months to make a lasting fundamental change.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,483
    John Fund, who wrote the piece partially quoted in the OP, was interviewed about that piece this morning. He talked about who he talked to in order to know what's coming, and what the strategy will be from now until the new Congress is sworn in next January.

You remember how we had been assured that healthcare reform would be 100% transparent, debated in the bright light of day, with no backroom deals or underhanded stuff going on? And then they did the absolute opposite?

Well all this other stuff will be done pretty much the same way. And because in this political climate they probablly can't get it done in 2000+ page bills, it will be done incrementally, Marxist style. They probably can't get card check through all at once, but they will pass some side legislations forcing employers to 'cooperate' more with unions, and then gradually ratchet it up until unions will have total power to do whatever they want wherever they get a foothold. And it will be accomplished through quiet executive orders and clandestine backroom deals.

Of course if they decided to go ALL the way with something like that, they will force employers to accept a union, and once they have business completely controlled by the unions, then they make unions as we know them illegal and the government steps into the void. Voila, socialized industry for all practical purposes.

Cap and trade is going to happen much the same way, and again for the purposes of increasing government control over commerce and industry.

Obama is going to need two terms to get all that done, however, and REALLY leave his mark in a way tha can't be undone, so I wouldn't count him down and out for a second term yet. He may be a really incompetent President, but he is surrounded by people with high ambitions who know how to work the system. And he is more than willing to allow them to work it.

4. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    And sadly they're pushing a political agenda down the throats of the people whether the people like it or not. I have no doubt their intent to do alot more damage upon their exit that they know will take decades to undo. It's what they do. Create problems, and then come in on their steeds to 'fix' it...while blaming it upon others.

It's sick and twisted.

5. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    I want congress so hopelessly gridlocked they pass nothing for the rest of the year. Not even approving a supreme court justice. Then I wish for the next congress to repeal all new spending back to 2006.

6. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,875
    I want Congress to respect the will of the people and not RAHM through unpopular legislation against the will of the people, especially when the only way to pass it is via the votes lame duck reps and senators who have no accountability.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    In a rational world, such a lame duck session would put democratics out of power for nearly a generation.

But this is the topsy-turvy political world, where the sheer ineptitude and political cowardice of republicans will find a way to squander the majority that they are about to obtain....Just like they did the first six years of the Bush administration.

We are soooooo screwed.

8. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,875
    I feel a great deal of sympathy for the Romans who recognized their civilization was on an inevitable decline with no way to keep the leviathan from crashing.

9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    I hope the Republicans have wised up. The democrat party has put a fowl taste of dooo dooo bird in everyone's mouth. They make everyone want to puke. The list of democrat bastiches is a long long long one.

10. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,090
    It's just a few more things that President Palin will have to undo by January 22, 2013.

No sweat